SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:35 AM
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Aug 2011
556 Posts
i don't mind the numbering - it does the job. it's a quick, easy, clear way of identifying or referring to a specific model.
ukbren is online now Find More Posts by ukbren
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:55 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
I hope too, "hashtag sixteen" sounds just plain silly! Same for "hashtag twentysix". If I post on Twitter it'll be ##26...
Then call it Number 26, or No. 26. The "#" symbol (a.k.a "pound" symbol here) is a shorter representation for "number" or "no." here as well. No need to get hung up on it... just say call the camera 16 or 26 if it bothers you! It's better than a long name for two dozen cameras that all look alike.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbren View Post
i don't mind the numbering - it does the job. it's a quick, easy, clear way of identifying or referring to a specific model.
I agree if there are a lot of similar cameras. A number is easier to remember than a name. GoPro is also a short and easy to remember name if you remember it....
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I agree if there are a lot of similar cameras. A number is easier to remember than a name. GoPro is also a short and easy to remember name if you remember it....
I 've wondered why the #16 Developer doesn' t adopt a brand name. Maybe the copycat problem is so rampant even that would be copied. If the legal system is too corrupt to protect copyrights a brand is pointless.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
I 've wondered why the #16 Developer doesn' t adopt a brand name. Maybe the copycat problem is so rampant even that would be copied. If the legal system is too corrupt to protect copyrights a brand is pointless.
There have been some instances of their exact same web page graphics and information being copied by sellers of "fake" cameras, but worse, there was some kind of restrictions there in the recent past with selling "spy" cameras. I think keeping a low profile by NOT standing out in the crowd might be a valid concern as well.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
The new video samples look pretty good... But I'm sure the "new #16" camera will produce better results. The problem is that if the #26 camera comes available first, there is a great temptation to buy it.

The flickering of the lights is a little annoying... This is caused by incompatible shutter speed/frame rate and electric frequency in China (50 hz). This could be resolved by altering the shutter speed (and/or frame rate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
LOL, funny that (at least they versions, GoPro being the name)
If they made this a branded and polished product, I'm sure the price would be higher... I don't mind the current naming practice. They can call the camera whatever they want, I don't care...
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Last edited by Fintastic; Apr 12, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Day recording:
Latest 808 #26 Outdoor Test Video, AVI H.264 1080p 30FPS Auto Recording-daytime recording (5 min 1 sec)

Night recording:
Latest 808 #26 Outdoor Test Video, AVI H.264 1080p 30FPS Auto Recording-night recording (1 min 12 sec)

How it looks:
808 #18 vs 808 #26 - external comparison (0 min 30 sec)

Regarding which camera image quality will be better, I don't know what will be if both developers will use the same iCatch SPCA6330A chipset and the same OV2710 lens.

Regarding software, because of different chipsets the options will be not the same. After the launch date will be a long way to go and hopes.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
The sound quality is pretty good, seems to have stereo microphones??
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintastic View Post
The sound quality is pretty good, seems to have stereo microphones??
Nope. All the camera's native video samples I've been given by the developer's contact are monaural sound.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined May 2011
378 Posts
Tom, can you please ask to supply wide angle lens from the begging for this nice new cam!
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Day recording:
Regarding which camera image quality will be better, I don't know what will be if both developers will use the same chipset and the same lens.

Regarding software, because of different chipsets the options will be not the same. After the launch date will be a long way to go and hopes.

enjoy,
Mtz
There is more than one DSP that can do 1080p, so it's just speculation if the #16 developer will use the same one. Also, there are many different lenses, so I doubt if both developers will use the same one.

What makes a good camera is not only the processor and lens, but also the firmware. Just look at the problems the #18 developer is struggling with at the moment. I doubt he has time to maintain both projects concurrently.

Both developers have small teams, and it's very time-consuming to develop the firmware and do all the testing. We should be pleased there is a bit of competition where each developer tries to produce the best possible camera.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Apr 13, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joined Oct 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv4 View Post
The image looks good. No more dropped frames. However, it's a bit underexposed IMO. From 0:08 - 0:14 there is an obvious lack of shadow detail in the escalator and dark pants.
I personally would prefer a brighter image even if that means more visible noise.
lensman82 is offline Find More Posts by lensman82
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMouse View Post
Tom, can you please ask to supply wide angle lens from the begging for this nice new cam!
Not everyone wants a wide angle lens. they should give 2-3 lens options.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2011
378 Posts
That's exactly what I meant! Thanks!
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse