HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2013, 03:17 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
I like those stickers for battery charge state, might have to add them to the next order!
Simple and low tech solution and slightly more impressive then the equally effective elastic band!
But I have the Taranis with its voltage telemetry and I'm gonna use it damn it!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2013, 04:06 AM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Hey, that must be a Swedish guy!
My sound is great, but I have to use max volume. That is actually a good thing, as I get a better signal to RF-noise ratio
Unfortunately some sounds plays back lower than others. Some, like "Welcome to Taranis" and "trim center", are load and clear, while others are not.
Your speaker is the open type. Maybe you could use the rest of the bottle as a speaker chamber?

Fred
I posted earlier about turning down certain sounds. You can edit the actual sound files amplification. I had to turn it down on my tada because my volume know doesn't kick in til boot up is completed. It was an easy fix. Maybe you can amplify some the lower level ones??

As for the bottle encasement. Done

I took three steps in improving the sound and each step had a marked improvement. I really wish I'd done a recording so I could compare.

1st step: Replaced the speaker with 36mm speaker mounted on pill bottle neck.
2nd step: Put bottom of pill bottle over the back of the speaker to create a mini resonance chamber.
3rd step: Removed the plastic in front of the speaker and covered with speaker cloth. The one you see is temporary. I just wrapped some around a rubber o-ring and used a few spots of hot melt to mount it. I'm gonna make a new one out of a garden hose washer with the inside trimmed out a bit. That will be much slicker install. I probably saw the biggest change with this third step.

Anyway, my sound has now gotten a MAJOR upgrade. Rockin DK right now

Here's a few pics.

DONATE to OpenTx -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=DJ9MASSKVW8WN
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by punkindrublik; Oct 19, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 06:33 AM
obserwator
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Feb 2012
566 Posts
Is there any way a Frsky can start manufacturing Taranis with different color of back-light? Say orange or white??? Anyone must admit that would bring long expected result !

Again, can someone pls. confirm that FVAS-02H works as intended with the Taranis and their RXs?? I remember reading (yes, its hard to keep up with this thread in our busy out of hobby live) about some problems by not so happy fliers..

I'm planning on either X8R or D8R-II Plus for it. thx! ... or maybe should ask Wayne.... (conflict of interest??)
zawaprz is offline Find More Posts by zawaprz
Old Oct 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
Personally I'm happy with my tarasaurus but I'm also waiting for a horus...
Horus is already here, although it's not manufactured by FrSky (right-click on the Download link and save the PDF file to your computer, to read the full article)..................

http://blog.espritmodel.com/we-made-...now-available/
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Oct 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
I like those stickers for battery charge state, might have to add them to the next order!
Simple and low tech solution and slightly more impressive then the equally effective elastic band!
But I have the Taranis with its voltage telemetry and I'm gonna use it damn it!
Can't agree more. My idea was to use some of the great things available to us with OpenTX, and to show that the programming is not that bad. As I said, no solution fits everyone, but each can sift through and pick what they like.
Against my better judgement, I put a new and bigger speaker in. It sounds better, I think, but my 70 yr old hearing does not make me a good critic. I am not ready to deface the case yet.........
Back to reading posts for me. (yup, I already donated)
oldpal44 is online now Find More Posts by oldpal44
Old Oct 19, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
1st step: Replaced the speaker with 36mm speaker mounted on pill bottle neck.
2nd step: Put bottom of pill bottle over the back of the speaker to create a mini resonance chamber.
3rd step: Removed the plastic in front of the speaker and covered with speaker cloth. The one you see is temporary. I just wrapped some around a rubber o-ring and used a few spots of hot melt to mount it. I'm gonna make a new one out of a garden hose washer with the inside trimmed out a bit. That will be much slicker install. I probably saw the biggest change with this third step.

Anyway, my sound has now gotten a MAJOR upgrade. Rockin DK right now
You're 3rd step looks really radical..............

Maybe that's all that I really need to do, even with the OEM speaker installed????
Old Oct 19, 2013, 08:53 AM
Leonard
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2004
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
Horus is already here, although it's not manufactured by FrSky (right-click on the Download link and save the PDF file to your computer, to read the full article)..................

http://blog.espritmodel.com/we-made-...now-available/
Hm...let's see:

16 channels, talks, SD card, some switch programming, limited telemetry and all for only $1500 plus $80 receivers.

Perhaps I'll stay with my Taranis.

Leonard
mac44mag is offline Find More Posts by mac44mag
Old Oct 19, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Yes I agree!!

But WHEN will you ever see the so-called Horus, and when will it be available????

FWI: Jeti already has relocatable and assignable switches, will give you up to 40 channels of Telemetry feedback, and they already have many more sensors available than FrSky (at the present time at least). So it's not exactly 'limited'. And there are MANY more other features that it has to offer (i.e milled-aluminum case, full-metal gimbals, hall-effect senors, remote wireless switch, etc.). However it DOES come at a price....................

PLEASE excuse me if I have created any sort of controversy here!!!
Last edited by davemilw07; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
Yes I agree!!

But WHEN will you ever see the so-called Horus, and when will it be available????

FWI: Jeti already has relocatable and assignable switches, will give you up to 40 channels of Telemetry feedback, and they already have many more sensors available than FrSky (at the present time at least). So it's not exactly 'limited'. And there are MANY more other features that it has to offer (i.e milled-aluminum case, full-metal gimbals, hall-effect senors, remote wireless switch, etc.). However it DOES come at a price....................

PLEASE excuse me if I have created any sort of controversy here!!!
I don't think you've created any controversy, because many of the people who like the Taranis and FrSky in general for their technical prowess would be aware of Jeti's systems. Certainly, the hardware is marvelous, and far more appealing than say a Futaba 18MZ from my perspective, but the DS-16 is also highly proprietary and 'closed'. That makes it boring in some ways. No PC-based emulator like c9x, no people helping each other create and share models and sounds, no DIY joie de vivre.... Just an expensive elitist product with little movement and few users.

Having said that, if the DS-16 could be made to run OpenTX with an FrSky module, I think Jeti would quadruple their sales
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I don't think you've created any controversy, because many of the people who like the Taranis and FrSky in general for their technical prowess would be aware of Jeti's systems. Certainly, the hardware is marvelous, and far more appealing than say a Futaba 18MZ from my perspective, but the DS-16 is also highly proprietary and 'closed'. That makes it boring in some ways. No PC-based emulator like c9x, no people helping each other create and share models and sounds, no DIY joie de vivre.... Just an expensive elitist product with little movement and few users.

Having said that, if the DS-16 could be made to run OpenTX with an FrSky module, I think Jeti would quadruple their sales
EXACTLY!!!

I have already openly complained to Jeti about the lack of OpenTx compatibility, but have received nothing but criticism for my efforts. So I'm a bit PO'd with them....................

BTW: Sulfuric Acid is extremely caustic.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Innisfail
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Or for 40c you can go really high tech - and never worry about losing a rubber band.

Has the advantage you can set it half way to indicate "Storage charge".

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html
I use a battery meter on every battery I put into a model, I think it was a dollar or two?
Archades is offline Find More Posts by Archades
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:39 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Wow, that is a pretty radical mod - and I'm not sure yet if I mean in a good way. It will take me awhile to get used to that before I could even consider it.

Like I said before -- I'm not much of an audiophile - but I now understand the resonance chamber concept - but could you please explain the physics behind removal of the plastic and replaced with cloth - and how this gives the largest improvement in sound quality.

I must say that despite some of the mods I've made to my 9x radios - it almost seems sacrilegious to deface a Taranis . I'm thinking if I do that I really should guage my ears as well.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Innisfail
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I don't know much about speakers - does putting the bottle bottom over the back help increase the sound - or are their any other effects.. like the Tx suddenly has Dolby 5.1?
Stops/limits the rear audio waves/air pressure mixing with the front which helps increase overall loudness and cleans up the audio too I'd say. Same reason I sealed up my car door interior so the woofer only moved mostly the air in the cabin and not let the back cancel out the front.
Archades is offline Find More Posts by Archades
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:46 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
OK about the FVAS-02H apart from getting faulty one which was refunded by HK, I have 2 working ones now and they work OK.
For altitude they are fine, for vario they work alright too.
You have to remember what they are intended for and how they work to, they are intended for glider use primarily to give an indication of lift and altitude, they are likely to wander from the ground level zero reading because they work on barometric pressure and that varies with heat/wind so they are NOT good for using as ground avoidance or low altitude hold!

The altimeter however works fine and seems accurate enough for limiting climb outs etc, the vario tones work but a bit delayed by a second or so, and you need to set up the vario limits to get the best setting for your particular glider but once set up it's great!

I was out this aft with my minimoa and I could leave the vario on and it would only beep when I hit some sort of lift or sink though often this was just turbulance indicated by a high pitch followed by a low pitch for up followed by down, however when in lift the tones are more often high and when in sink they are low so it works.

I use it in my DLG too but that is SO up and down that I usually turn off the vario until I need it because DLG is usually close enough to see if it's going up or down, but the launch height announcement is great!

I dont know if there is a problem with connecting other none s-port devices to the x8r but with the d8r-11 plus it works as it should!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I think we'll see the new FAS fairly soon. FLVS will be a bit behind that...my WAG is 4 to 6 weeks later. Shipments of radios should start becoming more routine and frequent. I've got just about every radio mentioned in the past 1000 posts and I can say for certain that the Taranis is worth the wait. I'm sure many others are going to have a their own TX museum as well. I feel sad when I look at my highly modified and customized radios just sitting on the shelf - but they can't do the job for me now that I have thunder in my hands.
No reason for sadness Scott. It is a wonderful testament to "back in the olden days, before Taranis, look what we had to do to get a radio to even (....insert functionality change of choice here)." and to your skill and pluck in doing so. Your grandkids and kids from the neighborhood that grow up on the Taranis and its progeny will be wide-eyed in disbelief.

Cheers,

Wreno
AdmEd is offline Find More Posts by AdmEd