SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
Halfway through the build after starting it tonight.
If you have built the CYL its pretty much the same procedure minus the reinforcements and all the SVG's and T cannalizer.
Should be done tomorrow night. Gonna bring her to the family day event at my club field on Saturday.

I'll post a finish build pic when she's done.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 PM
United States, NY, East Syracuse
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this but I've never built a kit like this before.

How hard are these twisted hobby EPP foamies to build? The manuals make it look pretty complicated!

How long should this build take for a first time builder?
aloys24 is offline Find More Posts by aloys24
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloys24 View Post
I'm thinking about getting this but I've never built a kit like this before.

How hard are these twisted hobby EPP foamies to build? The manuals make it look pretty complicated!

How long should this build take for a first time builder?
There are a lot of steps in the manual and build thread because we cover everything in extreme detail. We really try to leave nothing to question....our goal is that you should be able to build one of these having never built a model plane before. In reality these are probably some of the nicest foamies to build out there and go together really easily.

If this is your first foamy, expect it to take about 6 hours to build. After that you can put them together really quickly...I can get one together in about 3 or 4.

If you have some experience with depron or wood aerobatic planes you will love the Crack Laser. If you are just learning to fly, one of the normal 9mm planes like the Edge or Sbach is a better choice.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, NY, East Syracuse
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
There are a lot of steps in the manual and build thread because we cover everything in extreme detail. We really try to leave nothing to question....our goal is that you should be able to build one of these having never built a model plane before. In reality these are probably some of the nicest foamies to build out there and go together really easily.

If this is your first foamy, expect it to take about 6 hours to build. After that you can put them together really quickly...I can get one together in about 3 or 4.

If you have some experience with depron or wood aerobatic planes you will love the Crack Laser. If you are just learning to fly, one of the normal 9mm planes like the Edge or Sbach is a better choice.
Thanks for the reply! I've been flying heli's for a couple years and have had a couple of the BNF planks, so I have some experience in the hobby just not with building planks! This seems like a perfect heli for me right now!
aloys24 is offline Find More Posts by aloys24
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Fast sticks quick crash.
N Cal
Joined Nov 2002
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloys24 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I've been flying heli's for a couple years and have had a couple of the BNF planks, so I have some experience in the hobby just not with building planks! This seems like a perfect heli for me right now!

Having just received my first Twisted Hobbys plane tonight in the form of a nicely packaged Laser kit, I have to say they take a lot of the guess work out of the equation. With each of the main pieces that make up the body of the plane, they have precut notches that make it pretty simple to line everything up and make a nice straight build. I would read through the build a couple times to understand each step and the plane should go together pretty easy for you, much easier than any balsa build I have ever done that is for sure.

This is going to be the smallest plane I have ever built, minus the many rubber powered free flight kits as a kid. The motor and the servos are so damned tiny I find it incredible the development that has gone into miniaturizing these components. Out of curiosity I weighed each of the battery packs, 2S 450 mah from TH, and every one of them was dead on 31 grams, pretty amazing. Sadly, I won't get time to build mine until Sunday but I plan to fly it that afternoon.

K.B.
K.B. is offline Find More Posts by K.B.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
I will have mine at the (lakewood) indoor next weekend if you want to take it for a spin...
cdee
Hey. I won't beable to make it. It's the wifes and mine anniversary this weekend.
I would love to give a whirl. I may have to get one after I finish a few other foamy builds. I got me a new 39'' Sbach, and two 48'' SBach's to build for friends.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
worked on it a little last night.

pretty much done.

gotta put z bends and shrink tubing on my pushrods and install the guides, screw the motor to the mount, install the receiver and add all the SVG's.

i may be flying her tonight. for sure tomorrow morning.

holding her next to my CYL airframe, they are different. i havent taken any measurements at key areas to determine how they are different. but cody did say the laser had more wing area. i can tell.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
One is winging its way over the pond, so we will she how she goes and I too will post up reports. Have to hold off on the build for a couple months, but I'll try be patient!
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
One is winging its way over the pond, so we will she how she goes and I too will post up reports. Have to hold off on the build for a couple months, but I'll try be patient!
There are in the UK
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:44 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Looking forward to more video guys!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
Maidened her this evening and I have to say this the most locked in TH plane I've built so far. Truely flies on rails. Totally different experience then the CYL.
KE are amazingly nice. This plane is gonna inspire me to practice more precision maneuvers because of the way it flies. Don't misunderstand though, there is plenty of throw to do whatever u want to do.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:03 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
EXCELLENT news. Just what I was after! For interest: I purchased the greenie, with the stock power combo, couple spare props, and pack of light o-rings. I also purchased a 5g frsky 4ch RX. I will use my 2s 460s for the moment, but I;ll probably go to zippy compact 350s at about 25g a pop I think. Rick
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
There are in the UK
Not a parkaero where did you see them ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:34 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Electricwingman

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:38 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I noticed they're on the RC Factory website with a different scheme:
http://www.rc-factory.eu/detail.php?id=787

I'm going to hold out for ParkAero and get a green one.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale