HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2013, 06:46 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
375 Posts
Discussion
Daryl Perkins joins Futaba

Tough secret to keep and I'm glad it is out. The following was released from Hobbico/Futaba today.

Congrats Daryl. Welcome to the Team!!! You'll love the 18MZ!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Proudly, Team Futaba

FAI CHAMPION DARYL PERKINS
JOINS TEAM FUTABA

Team Futaba has added another jewel to its crown with the signing of five-time FAI World Soaring Champion Daryl Perkins to its impressive pilot roster. Internationally recognized as one of today's top soaring pilots, Daryl has won almost every major contest multiple times.

Daryl is also a noted sailplane designer and a full-scale pilot, like his father who he credits with introducing him to R/C. Now in his early 50s, Daryl has been flying models since 1986 and netted a long list of honors. They include over 20 National Championship titles in F3B, F3J, Two-Meter, Hand-Launched Glider and Unlimited; numerous Southwest Classic Soaring contest wins; and several Lee Renaud trophies, awarded to the pilot earning the highest combined Nats total.

His versatile background in model design and global competition, makes Daryl a valuable addition to Team Futaba. Hobbico and Futaba are excited to welcome him into the lineup of dedicated professionals that form Team Futaba!
dnbarrie11 is online now Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:04 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,311 Posts
See, I KNEW there was a reason the Vixen was orange and black!!

Now he's got a shirt to match!!

Rock the Pumpkin!!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2004
27 Posts
Oh no....Who is next to join our flagship!?!?

Glad to see Team Futaba is growing...who will be next to join the ranks

-Edgar
Team Futaba

P.S. Vixens to everyone on the TEAM!!! :-)
TDboy is offline Find More Posts by TDboy
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,543 Posts
All the cool guys fly for Futaba

Seriously though, Futaba is making a dedicated effort to compete in the Soaring segment. They are and will be continuing to improve technology for gliders. The 18MZ is already a masterpiece of technology and reliability, the Sbus is very powerful and with new servos to go head to head with JR, MKS and the like, it will be a GREAT time to be into gliders!
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Last edited by Avaldes; Apr 03, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:32 PM
in the air
in the air
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
HOLY Shnikes!
great for Futaba and DP!
MB3
THE EYE is online now Find More Posts by THE EYE
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:34 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,146 Posts
Welcome to Team Futaba, DP.

Soar!
Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:10 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Seriously though, Futaba is making a dedicated effort to compete in the Soaring segment. They are and will be continuing to improve technology for gliders. The 18MZ is already a masterpiece of technology and reliability, the Sbus is very powerful and with new servos to go head to head with JR, MKS and the like, it will be a GREAT time to be into gliders!
I am not a Futaba user but s-bus is something I envy. Next step is that Futaba will offer wider selection of s-bus compatible wing servos.

Thinking of Daryl Perkins, he must have designed the Vixen 6 servo wing with s-bus in mind
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:12 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,362 Posts
Thanks guys!!! I'm looking forward to being a part of the team, learning, and taking advantage of the Futaba programming and technology.

Tuomo - cute... yeah no. It all came together quite quickly in the past couple of weeks. But... I have to admit... it did play a part in my decision.

It's a good thing I look good in orange.

And a huge thanks to Futaba.

dp
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:16 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,507 Posts
will there be something quicker than an s3150 now then?
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,362 Posts
It'll be awhile before I'm in the loop and up to speed on the Futaba product line. But for the Vixen, I've got my eye on the 3156 for flaps and 3157 for the rest of the airframe. They're plenty quick. For the I4, probably the 9650 for flaps and pitch (it's got the room), and 3156 for ailerons and rudder.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:17 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
877 Posts
The 9650 is good on elevator, powerful and quick. Had some in models for7-8 years now.
Welcome to Futaba DP.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Apr 04, 2013, 09:10 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
It'll be awhile before I'm in the loop and up to speed on the Futaba product line. But for the Vixen, I've got my eye on the 3156 for flaps and 3157 for the rest of the airframe. They're plenty quick. For the I4, probably the 9650 for flaps and pitch (it's got the room), and 3156 for ailerons and rudder.
I was just talking about the ubiquitous s3150. I would like to see futaba update that servo, although it has been a really solid performer. The new HV/sbus version is cool, but it is not that different on the face of it.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Apr 04, 2013, 09:35 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,311 Posts
The BLS153/BLS651 servos. They are the same size as the 9650 and are just as fast with 50% more torque and better centering. They have become very popular with pattern pilots for use on elevator controls. Pattern is obsessive about centering and these are far better than the 9650 were. I'm using the BLS153 in my 2M pattern plane and they are a great servo.

For comparison the 153/651 are about the same size as the JR3421
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:59 AM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
375 Posts
3150/3155/3172

I've been using iterations of these for years but only on 6 volts or more. Now using 6.6 V Life packs. The torque from 6 volts is above 60 oz. All that is needed for flaps, ailerons etc... Faster too.

I recently tried a BLS153 on my elevator on the Aspires. Centering is great. Can I tell a difference? Mentally, yes. I'll probably be using these in the future on a couple of new airframes arriving soon. Gotta add a little weight up front anyway.

I try to only use one or two flavors of servos to keep change out and spares to a minimum.

There will be some new servos coming out that will improve the SBus line. Pretty sure a 3156 version of SBus is coming as well as others.

SBus is great. I've been using this since it came out. I did it for simplicity. It does save an ounce of wiring though. For Daryl, the SBus will be fantastic when the new servos come out. He is striving to save every gram.

As Daryl noted, he will be learning the line. We'll keep him "coached up" on the servos and such. He fondled my 18MZ at the J in the Desert and loved it. He started asking, "what it would do." I said, " the question is, what can it NOT do?"

Yes, the 18 is a ton of money. But when you consider it should be good for you for many years to come it becomes a value. Also consider the 14SG. This will do 90% of what most modelers will ever need. Simple, powerful, cost effective.

Again, welcome Daryl. Let the transition begin.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Proudly Team Futaba
dnbarrie11 is online now Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:45 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Congratulations Daryl!

You will have fun with that team. See you soon....flying DLG's too even.. sweet.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B