HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
221 Posts
Help!
DJI F450 w/KK2 Wiring: Best Way?

(Old guy Noob question and yes I have looked at many posts on the topic.)

I am building a stock DJI F450 with a KK2 board and I need help with the best way to wire the KK2 so I can use the voltage warning feature of the KK2.

A. Should I wire the KK2 by connecting the just the esc's to the KK2 and then male connectors to the RX? If so, the DJI 30 amp OPTO ESC's do not have a BEC, do I need one to lower voltage to the RX or KK2?

OR

B. Should I do A. (above) and I solder +/- wires directly to the KK2 and run it directly to my battery line?

I would like to use the low battery alarm feature but I am not sure if the KK2 can handle full power from a 3s or 4s lipo pack. I don't want to fry the board if it can't handle the voltage. I have seen the video where the board is wired directly but it wasn't clear if there was a BEC involved.

Thanks a lot!

Jim
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 04:23 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,687 Posts
All these answers are in the KK2 thread. In the last few pages, and in the first post.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:59 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Your battery will blow the KK2 and receiver apart, you need a BEC.

Voltage is measured from another pin and for that you need to solder a direct connection from the battery, however that will not provide power
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old May 02, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
Specific Location please

Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
All these answers are in the KK2 thread. In the last few pages, and in the first post.
I am building a DJI 450 with OPTO ESC's and need to know how to wire BECs into this setup.
I ordered two BECs I am just not sure how they hook up to the KK2 board and my RX.

Thanks
BeginnerHeli is offline Find More Posts by BeginnerHeli
Old May 02, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyspu View Post
(Old guy Noob question and yes I have looked at many posts on the topic.)

I am building a stock DJI F450 with a KK2 board and I need help with the best way to wire the KK2 so I can use the voltage warning feature of the KK2.

A. Should I wire the KK2 by connecting the just the esc's to the KK2 and then male connectors to the RX? If so, the DJI 30 amp OPTO ESC's do not have a BEC, do I need one to lower voltage to the RX or KK2?

OR

B. Should I do A. (above) and I solder +/- wires directly to the KK2 and run it directly to my battery line?

I would like to use the low battery alarm feature but I am not sure if the KK2 can handle full power from a 3s or 4s lipo pack. I don't want to fry the board if it can't handle the voltage. I have seen the video where the board is wired directly but it wasn't clear if there was a BEC involved.

Thanks a lot!

Jim
those optos don't have bec's, so your kk2.0 won't have power. you'll need to get a bec to power it with. one end of the BEC to the lipo, the other end into the kk2.0. you'll need to splice the power into the cable from the esc that you plug into M1 because that's the one the board gets power from.

or you could order some F-20A's from hobbyking and use those. they have BEC built in. (or F-30A if you want more overhead) plus those you can flash simonk firmware onto. i'm running F-20A's and kk2.0 on my f450 and it flies like a stripe assed ape.
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old May 02, 2013, 09:16 PM
USA, NJ, South Plainfield
Joined Sep 2008
123 Posts
I have the same setup with the Opto ESC's and a Castle Creations BEC. The BEC has power in soldered to the battery supply, and the two power out leads I plugged into the receiver, Ch 6 and 7 on the Futaba R617FS.
jughandle is online now Find More Posts by jughandle
Old May 02, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerHeli View Post
I am building a DJI 450 with OPTO ESC's and need to know how to wire BECs into this setup.
I ordered two BECs I am just not sure how they hook up to the KK2 board and my RX.

Thanks
the esc's can go straight to the lipo.

the bec will get powered directly from the lipo too.

the bec's output will go into the kk2.0. the red wire is the only one you need to wire into the kk2.0. take the servo wire from the esc that you'll be plugging into the M1 slot on the kk2.0 board and splice the red wire from the bec into the red wire on that servo wire. (i don't remember if the optos even have a wire/pin for the red on them, so if not, you might have to buy a servo extension cable to splice this into, or order the actual pin from digikey/jameco to put into the servo connector.

basically, kk2.0 gets power from the M1 connector on the top right of the board. normally you don't have to do anything other than plug the esc's into it because most ecs's have BEC's built into them and so the esc connected to M1 powers the board automagically.

in your case, your esc doesn't have a BEC so it won't provide power to M1 so you have to splice your output red wire from your BEC into your M1 servo cable's red wire.
Old May 02, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughandle View Post
I have the same setup with the Opto ESC's and a Castle Creations BEC. The BEC has power in soldered to the battery supply, and the two power out leads I plugged into the receiver, Ch 6 and 7 on the Futaba R617FS.
even easier method!
Old May 02, 2013, 09:54 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,687 Posts
My bec is soldered to the power distribution board, and plugged into the receiver. Been using it for a month now.
Old May 02, 2013, 11:28 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
basically, kk2.0 gets power from the M1 connector on the top right of the board.
You can power the KK2 board from the M1 terminal or any of the receiver input terminals on the left side of the board. All the + and - pins on most receivers are bussed so you can also power the board by powering a connected receiver through an unused channel.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old May 02, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
You can power the KK2 board from the M1 terminal or any of the receiver input terminals on the left side of the board. All the + and - pins on most receivers are bussed so you can also power the board by powering the receiver through an unused channel.

Pete
that's why i quoted him two posts up and said "even easier method"
Old May 03, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
the esc's can go straight to the lipo.

the bec will get powered directly from the lipo too.

the bec's output will go into the kk2.0. the red wire is the only one you need to wire into the kk2.0. take the servo wire from the esc that you'll be plugging into the M1 slot on the kk2.0 board and splice the red wire from the bec into the red wire on that servo wire. (i don't remember if the optos even have a wire/pin for the red on them, so if not, you might have to buy a servo extension cable to splice this into, or order the actual pin from digikey/jameco to put into the servo connector.

basically, kk2.0 gets power from the M1 connector on the top right of the board. normally you don't have to do anything other than plug the esc's into it because most ecs's have BEC's built into them and so the esc connected to M1 powers the board automagically.

in your case, your esc doesn't have a BEC so it won't provide power to M1 so you have to splice your output red wire from your BEC into your M1 servo cable's red wire.
So if I just wire BEC to lipo and output to unused channel on my RX that will power the RX and the KK2.
Is that correct?
BeginnerHeli is offline Find More Posts by BeginnerHeli
Last edited by BeginnerHeli; May 03, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old May 03, 2013, 05:57 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,687 Posts
Quote:
So if I just wire BEC to lipo and output to unused channel on my RX that will power the RX and the KK2.
Is that correct?
YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS............yes
Old May 03, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Is that correct?
correct