SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Brushless Gimbal Madness

Will you catch the fever?

Splash

Brushless Revolution

The years of looking for an affordable two axis gimbal for pro level AV work seems to be coming to end. If you have been watching the forums, you would have seen the term "Brushless Gimbal" spread like wildfire. From just a mention of the idea a few months ago, to full-blown, ready to install products available today. So what's the big deal? Why are brushless gimbals so cool? The answer is almost instant direct control of the roll and pitch of the camera with no mechanical shaking or binding which has been the bane of servo driven gimbals since they were conceived.

Up until now, one of the only semi affordable brushless gimbals was the DJi Zenmuse, which to this day is the industry gold standard. But at around $3500, the Zenmuse was out of the reach of most hobbyists. Now with the development of the brushless gimbal controller and the many brushless gimbal designs coming out almost daily, anyone should be able to afford a brushless gimbal.

Check out the multirotor forum here on RCGroups.com and watch as the brushless gimbal explosion takes place. Will you adopt this blossoming technology or will you let the brave men and women currently purchasing these units work out the bugs for a while.

At the end of the day, gimbal design will never be the same, we have just steeped in to a full reboot. AV Gimbals REV 2.0.

Discussion

Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
You're not wrong mate. The forums are an exciting place to be, with this technology combined with 3d printing it is going to be fun to see what happens in the future.
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:49 AM
United States, TX, Clifton
Joined Mar 2013
43 Posts
Great job. Keep up the hard work!
RanchScout1 is offline Find More Posts by RanchScout1
Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:21 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Mar 2013
63 Posts
I thought brushless was good for turning propellers?

How do the physics work for turning a gimbal? How is it controlled? Servos with PWM seem simpler..
tonyjl is offline Find More Posts by tonyjl
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:56 AM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
809 Posts
Just look at the videos on youtube about brushless gimbles. The video is amazing from these things!
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:12 AM
ProFester
United States, NY, Wallkill
Joined Feb 2008
184 Posts
Yes I agree ,This technology is right on the cutting edge of a lot of new tech out there. 3D printers ,Small Hobbyist CNC , any material you want to build with shipped to your door These are very interesting times to be alive .....Celebrate life ...get yourself a multi-rotor .....
Fester 1 is offline Find More Posts by Fester 1
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:01 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Oct 2012
242 Posts
Brushless Gimbal Madness, can't agree more!
In other word, brushless gimbal is very important for those who want to shoot great videos.

I saw more than 10 gimbals these days . And more are doing DIY SBG.

Hope to see more nice videos make by those gimbals.
Piery is offline Find More Posts by Piery
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:14 PM
<<x USMC
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
IMO if you're looking to get in to AV getting a brushless gimbal is the best move you could make... there is no way that I could have gotten these long flight shots with my previous servo driven gimbal powered off my main FC.

Holly Drive - Aerial video (2 min 52 sec)
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV + McLaren P1 = HELLA FUN
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Mar 2013
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0beert0 View Post
IMO if you're looking to get in to AV getting a brushless gimbal is the best move you could make... there is no way that I could have gotten these long flight shots with my previous servo driven gimbal powered off my main FC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiF05c8EEs
My dream house would be on top of the mountain next to the waterfalls
fpvboy is offline Find More Posts by fpvboy
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
Malaysia, Nabawan
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
good
kkrc is offline Find More Posts by kkrc
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:28 AM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
187 Posts
And one wonders if the brushless system can be used for tracking antennas, and on Tricopter tail yaw control.
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
And one wonders if the brushless system can be used for tracking antennas, and on Tricopter tail yaw control.
For Tricopter yaw control I'll stick to regular servos thanks.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:39 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
For Tricopter yaw control I'll stick to regular servos thanks.
I don't have a brushless gimbal motor so I'm interested in what it can do. So is your comment because the brushless motor does not produce enough torque?
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
brushless motor does not produce enough torque?
That's right.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
my F550 ready for the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal !!

Hi,

I just wanted to show you some pictures of my DJI F550, which is my second multirotor after the Phantom. Did some endurance tests at 2968 grams takeoff weight with the Lumix Gh1. I get solid 7 minutes of flight in this combo on a 5000 Zippy 4S 40C.

cheers,

Edi

www.eduardschneider.com
Edi4 is offline Find More Posts by Edi4