SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
30 Posts
Martinez board updating.....

Gimbal looks great!! Just got Martinez board tonight and on the typical search for how to upload the new firmware. Clues please? Got to the Arduino sit but stumped on the model number to use on this board and the steps....

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
I have no capability to make one of these myself but was considering all options to mount a gimbal to the front of my Discovery. The drawing here might work but it will require some adjustments for vibration isolation mounting and balance I think. I think all that weight pushed forward will at least require an extension to move the battery farther back on the Disco. In looking at the photos of the Spidex, it seems that they have an excellent layout design... building on the Disco and Scarab styles somewhat. (I have no way of knowing if their vibration isolation works well or if the frame is well made.)

Now I can see why some would like to build a project from scratch. But the Spidex is very inexpensive and seems like a good solution for me to get going quickly... assuming I don't have to wait too long for it. I am going on faith from their single test video that this will work well.

What I did is I ordered a Spidex gimbal ($225) that is designed to be mounted on the front of their Spidex V2 frame. I also ordered the entire frame for another $75. I may try to adapt the Spidex gimbal to my Discovery frame, move the mounting system from the Spidex to the Disco, or switch over to the Spidex frame entirely. I can't say until I have it but maybe this photo will give people the idea of various directions to go with their home made projects. I'm certainly open to suggestions for mounting too.

Considering the frame is only $75 it is surely a reasonably priced solution rather than spending a lot of time and effort trying to mount this gimbal onto my Disco. So I may have a Disco frame available for cheap soon.

PilotManForever is offline Find More Posts by PilotManForever
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
FYI, the first test print of v1.08 has been completed, and the models/files are now confirmed error free
(means theres no physical/design issue with the model mesh / printing slices)

i should have the bits in my hand on monday
ed_jza80 is offline Find More Posts by ed_jza80
Last edited by ed_jza80; Apr 09, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
first test print of v1.08 finished

(not printed from shapeways - a DIY printer, therefore a bit rougher, but will clean up nicely!)

Last edited by ed_jza80; Apr 13, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Belgium
Joined Sep 2010
257 Posts
And now the big test
leopold1 is offline Find More Posts by leopold1
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Heiloo
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
3D prints looks great. Have you put it together with the GoPro, does all fit well? Balance good?

Recieved mail from Shapeways, my order will arrive on monday. Alex's board and moters at the end of the week. Let the fun begin :-)
Lupus is offline Find More Posts by Lupus
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Whatt a great job Ed.
rScottyK is offline Find More Posts by rScottyK
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
I'm still waiting for the parts to get to me, hopefully ill have them in the next 24hrs (photo was emailed to me from the guy who printed it )

a little complicated in that Ive literally just flown into Australia from Germany for 4 weeks work - BUT! ive broght a small toolbox with me, along with my motors, AlexMos, soldering iron and multimeter... so can keep the ball rolling!

meanwhile, slightly different theme, but along the same idea...

this whole movi theatrical gimbal got me thinking....

im going to design a 2 axis (3 axis capable) standable handheld gimbal for amateurs...

and im going to call it μVi - handeld stabilisation for gopro AND for iPhone video producers

and, another idea i had on the flight here, a mount for the gimbal that mounts to the standard gopro mounting systems. so all the advantages of gopro 'mount anywhere' mounts... but stabilised ill do some renders tonight after work
Last edited by ed_jza80; Apr 15, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:27 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
edited
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
I'm still waiting for the parts to get to me, hopefully ill have them in the next 24hrs (photo was emailed to me from the guy who printed it )

a little complicated in that Ive literally just flown into Australia from Germany for 4 weeks work - BUT! ive broght a small toolbox with me, along with my motors, AlexMos, soldering iron and multimeter... so can keep the ball rolling!

meanwhile, slightly different theme, but along the same idea...

this whole movi theatrical gimbal got me thinking....

im going to design a 2 axis (3 axis capable) standable handheld gimbal for amateurs...

and im going to call it μVi - handeld stabilisation for gopro AND for iPhone video producers

and, another idea i had on the flight here, a mount for the gimbal that mounts to the standard gopro mounting systems. so all the advantages of gopro 'mount anywhere' mounts... but stabilised ill do some renders tonight after work
What are you doing in Australia for 4 weeks
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Working in remote ED in the bush for 4 weeks, change of scenery
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
So Ed, your mind never stops thinking up new and creative gimbal ideas... lol
rScottyK is offline Find More Posts by rScottyK
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
Shapeways order arrived

Ed,

Today I recieved my Shapeways order. For me, this is the first time I have made a 3D-print. Must say I'm very impressed with quality and detail

The hole for the lens was a little to tight, so I had to use some sandpaper. Besides that it looks like a perfect fit.

Can't wait to put it together, sadly I have to wait for the arrival of the board and the motors.

Vincent
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
nice
shapways always has a nice surface finish, looks great in black too.

cant wait to get my hands on mine... just waiting on post to this little backwater town... im keen to put the question of balance to rest!

but otherwise... thats a 28mm o-ring? good fit/not too tight?

looks like the CAD reduction of the lens extrusion from a circle to a polygon has shrunk the radius a little bit

prob should make a list of required revisions for the next release...

- increase radius of lens extrusion 0.1mm
- reduce lens shroud protrusion (but ill wait for the lens protector before decideding how much)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
the story continues ...

Today my motors arrived (flyduino 2208)

Same "problem" as with the lenscover. They didn't fit right away, had to use a Dremel to remove just a little bit.

Then the big question about balance..... unfortunately not perfect the first time.

On the y-as: it's pretty close. Looks like it's a bit top-heavy, but I don't think it's a problem.

On the x-as: not so good. Made a quick adjustment with counterweight (didn't have any leadstrips, so I used some euro-coins ). It took about 14 grams to get a good balance.

Well, it's a Beta version so these things were to be expected. Still I'm very pleased with the design. I think it's brilliant. Very simple, low weight. Ed, with some minor adjustments I think you should start a business with this design

the story continues, I hope to recive the Alex board at the end of the week.

Skylight V1.08 Balance test (0 min 28 sec)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Crapp! Thats an un expectedly large amount out! Quite surprised by that acutally

Ok, give me a sec to do some maths on shifting the COG and see where we end up. As dicussed, ill send you the revised parts kudos as soon as ive double checked yourfindings against mine (when my parts turn up!) funny about zhe motors, i left 0.1mm radius to avoid that- i suspect that the process of reducing a circle to a polygon is responsible.

Ive aso got an idea for an absolute balnce fine tuning device. Nearly invisible, neat, and effective for up to 2 grams... Revision 1.09 coming up