HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
ps, if you want the sketchup files, let me know, easier to dump back into sketchup than the .stl files
ed_jza80 is offline Find More Posts by ed_jza80
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
ps, if you want the sketchup files, let me know, easier to dump back into sketchup than the .stl files
That would be great!
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
once more for the new page...

whoever just *bought* x4 parts through shapeways (08.04.13), i suggest you cancel your order, as i just uploaded an error, and needed to upload it all again

revision 1.08 BETA... is now uploaded, hopefully error free (these goddarn complex meshes are doing my head in!)

so.. yeah, sorry!
(but it is a BETA ! )

cheers
ed
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
FITandFuel, very nice modification to open-up the usb port. Maybe Ed can integrate this into a new, additional version of his gimbal. I like the low-profile mount as well, better suited for my needs.
rScottyK is offline Find More Posts by rScottyK
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:37 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
342 Posts
Looks good! What frame is this for? would be great to some how adapt to the TBS or QAV too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
I thought this might work for the H3, probably needs some more tweaking but the USB cable would be reachable like this and the sensor should be centered with the two axis. I figured the plate on the front of the camera could have a little notch in the bottom for a rubber-band to hold the camera securely.

Sorry, only have sketchup to play with so the results look a little rough.

leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
ok heres the 1.08 version sketchup file (all parts in 1 file for simplicity)

ive renamed the file to a .doc file type so i could upload it, so just download it, and rename back to .skp
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
It's for a foldable frame that I'm working on but its much like the TBS, I think it would work out great but that's just based on intuition, not sure how it will work in real life. As it is, it sits a little bottom heavy but the IMU and extra material at the top might balance it out.

Thanks so much to Ed for getting this started. I could never had modeled that myself. But damnit, now I want my own 3d printer.

And that you for the .skp file, much easier to work with!
Last edited by FITandFUEL; Apr 08, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
ok heres the 1.08 version sketchup file (all parts in 1 file for simplicity)

ive renamed the file to a .doc file type so i could upload it, so just download it, and rename back to .skp
Looks great Ed, thank you for the files! I really like the design of the mount your created for yourself.

My rough edits are good enough for concept but not printing. Is there someone else who could make this Hero3 worthy and printable?

I'll keep plowing away at it!

Tom
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
i can play with it, if you can get the basics in the correct positions

Ive got no idea of the weight of the GP3, or the balance point when paired with a pitch motor etc etc.

looking at Boris' thread on his gimbal, you could work out (more or less) where the roll axis is (or just ask boris! even easier) to at least get you in the ballpark. pitch axis you can figure out with some pins and your gopro, see whete its long axis balance point is

get the two rotation centres worked out, then bite the bullet, make a design, and see if it works.

im more thna happy to 'beautfy' the design, once you happy with the ballpark dimensions
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:46 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,652 Posts
Quote:
revision 1.08 BETA... is now uploaded, hopefully error free (these goddarn complex meshes are doing my head in!)

so.. yeah, sorry!
(but it is a BETA ! )

cheers
ed
Nice work Ed - lets get printing...

:-)
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
just for the fun of it...

Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Damn that looks good and thank you for offering to clean up my dirty work.

I have no idea how I would estimate the weight or balance issues without a gimbal around to play with. I'm a hands on kind of guy. How did you do it for your design?

Tom
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
ok, on the roll axis, i used a bit of putty to stick a 2212 motor to the side of my gopro, then got an idea where the roll balance point was using tooth-picks. then roughed out basic layout of the roll arm, calculated it would weight about 15-20grams, and added that mass to the motor (with more putty) at an approx offset, and had a look at how much the roll axis balance point shifted (it harldy moved TBH!)

with a bit of screwing around, got a pretty reliable position where i though id be within a mm of so of the true roll axis. definitely good enough to build something and expect it to work well.

similar thing with the tilt axis, but that was easier. i just balanced the camera with toothpicks (and more putty) along the long axis. i reckon i got that to within 1/4mm give or take.

at the end of the day, itll need to be mounted up, and im expecting to have to add some counterweight (ie lead self adhesive wheel balancing strips) to get it really dialled in nicely, but it will be pretty darn close
Last edited by ed_jza80; Apr 08, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
just because im in a rendering mood...

this is my Y6

the first build of this weighed about 2300gr and landed in a tree on a windy day. that didnt kill it, but the recovery process did. aim this time around is around 1800gr with 8000mAh, gopro gimbal and FPV gear...

Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:58 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
342 Posts
Nice! Can you make one of these for a TBS or QAV frame now? Great work by the way!
leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann