HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Discussion
SkyLight SBG - GoPro 2 Version Released (+ GP3 Beta + 3 axis Alpha) !!

SkyLight SBG
Opensource 3D Printable Brushless Gimbal

OFFICIAL RELEASE - GoPro Hero 2 - see page 19!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...864420&page=19

Gimbal 3D Gopro3 Velodromo de Galapagar (1 min 32 sec)

for use with: Flyduino 2208 Brushless motors
Current Chassis design is for the GoPro 2 (not rich enough to buy the new Black!)
IMU mount-pad dimensions designed for the Alex Mos Controller (23mmx23mm)
360degre rotatable without physical lock
without screws, orings, and motors, the complete gimbal weighs about 50grams!
Incorporated gopro lens cover
only cost about €50
less if you make it yourself

Shapeways link:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/RapidSequence

.stl file is downloadable through the shapeways pages

(ill do it that way, so with updates, and modifications for other mounts etc, the latest file is available with the model. saves trying to keep track of version updates in a thread!)

Extra Parts Needed:
M2 x 10mm screws (x8)
26x1.5mm O-Ring (x2)
Optional Lens Cover: Sternkreuz HW (High Dome, no step) 21.2mm
(i can buy a bunch of wholesale Sternkreuz lens covers, along with a bulk bag of orings if theres enough interest)

cheers
ed
ed_jza80 is offline Find More Posts by ed_jza80
Last edited by ed_jza80; May 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:09 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
a slightly different mounting system (thats for my frame!) but i think its a good visualisation none the less

SkyLight SBG - Open Source 3D Printable Gimbal (0 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
SkyLight SBG
Opensource 3D Printable Brushless Gimbal v1.02b
(note - currently still BETA... just means play with the files and printed parts at your own risk - until we get some feedback)

this is starting to head in a direction away from my own gimbal design for my custom Y6, so i thought Id give it its own thread... let it live here, and evlove in its own direction (and i can concentrate on my other design in my own thread )

for use with: Flyduino 2208 Brushless motors
Current Chassis design is for the GoPro 2 (not rich enough to buy the new Black!)
IMU mount-pad dimensions designed for the Alex Mos Controller (23mmx23mm)
360degre rotatable without physical lock
without screws, orings, and motors, the complete gimbal weighs about 36grams!
Incorporated gopro lens cover
only cost about €50
less if you make it yourself

Shapeways link:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/10078...ductBox-search

.stl file is downloadable through the shapeways pages

(ill do it that way, so with updates, and modifications for other mounts etc, the latest file is available with the model. saves trying to keep track of version updates in a thread!)

Extra Parts Needed:
M2 x 10mm screws (x8)
28x1.5mm O-Ring (x2)
Optional Lens Cover: Sternkreuz HW (High Dome, no step) 21.4mm
(i can buy a bunch of wholesale Sternkreuz lens covers, along with a bulk bag of orings if theres enough interest)

mines 'at the printers' at the moment

cheers
ed
Verry nice!!!
but would it be possible to use with video output cable connected? to use with live view?
pal72 is offline Find More Posts by pal72
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
sure

im not sure if possible drag from the cables will mess with the gimbal smoothness/response though. use some nice soft thin silicone wire though, and it would be worth a try
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
love your design, very clean. Have you printed and tested one yet? Would love to see a video of the results and know what it weighs full up! Have you considered modeling a version for the H3? A port for the video out would be nice also.

I'll download the .STI file and have a god at it. Thank you very much for your work!
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Nice design. One question... it looks like the area where the GoPro camera attaches to the gimbal is covering up access to the usb, hdmi and sd card. Is there a way to add some cut-outs to allow access to at least the usb and hdmi as some of us want to power our cameras externally as well as connect to the hdmi out for connecting to an fpv tx.
rScottyK is offline Find More Posts by rScottyK
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
love your design, very clean. Have you printed and tested one yet? Would love to see a video of the results and know what it weighs full up! Have you considered modeling a version for the H3? A port for the video out would be nice also.

I'll download the .STI file and have a god at it. Thank you very much for your work!
mines at the printers at present, and shapeways usually takes about 10 days untill its in your hands... not the fastest way to 'fast prototype', but pretty incredible what you can do with that kind of manufacture

theres more than a handful of people on here with their own printers too. i wont be suprised if someone tries it out before i even get mine

the absolute fine balancing will still need a tweak before i dont call it a BETA anymore. im hoping we can get it so finely tuned in the design, that its balanced 'out of the box'. they way i did the design to date was based on another gimbal of similar design and size ive got here (also 3D printed). and ill be surprised if its not close to dead on as-is... but we'll see

all up weight - at a guess....

gimbal components 40grams
motors 42grams x2
GoPro 100grams
orings, lens cover and screws, say 10grams

so ballark 235grams including motors, camera and hardware. IMU and cabling still on top, perhaps another 10-20grams....

edit - and regarding slot/port acess, ill have a play... shoule be doable, but as above, a net of cables could screw with the balance and response of the gimble in action. make it light and neat, could prob work, but would need to try it
Last edited by ed_jza80; Apr 02, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
mines at the printers at present, and shapeways usually takes about 10 days untill its in your hands... not the fastest way to prototype, but pretty incredible what you can do with that kind of manufacture

theres more than a handful of people on here with their own printers too. i wont be suprised if someone tries it out before i even get mine

the absolute fine balancing will still need a tweak before i dont call it a BETA anymore. im hoping we can get it so finely tuned in the design, that its balanced 'out of the box'. they way i did the design to date was based on another gimbal of similar design and size ive got here (also 3D printed). and ill be surprised if its not close to dead on as-is... but we'll see

all up weight - at a guess....

gimbal components 40grams
motors 42grams x2
GoPro 100grams
orings, lens cover and screws, say 10grams

so ballark 235grams including motors, camera and hardware. IMU and cabling still on top, perhaps another 10-20grams....

edit - and regarding slot/port acess, ill have a play... shoule be doable, but as above, a net of cables could screw with the balance and response of the gimble in action. make it light and neat, could prob work, but would need to try it
That would be fantastic, thank you! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these gimbals, just need to track down an alexmos control board.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
live view AV port all worked out

usb wont work, its under the motor mount. HDMI and card slot are free on the otherside.

Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:03 PM
Belgium
Joined Sep 2010
257 Posts
Great design!

Do you plan putting the controller on the gimbal?
leopold1 is offline Find More Posts by leopold1
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Great job. Man that was a fast mod but... that cut-out for the a/v is for the GoPro 2 and not the 3. I should have been more specific about which model as they changed the layout completely. The USB on the Hero 3 is closer to the bottom-left on the same side as before. They also switched to a micro-sd card slot on the same side. I've found a combination power/av-out that plugs info the USB connector. That may still be difficult to accommodate.
Last edited by rScottyK; Apr 02, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Error
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
yeah, unfortunately i dont have a GP3... size and weight is completely different. this setup is only GP2 compatible at present
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Thanks, Ed. You've done a great job to forward the progress of 3D-printed gimbals.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:17 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
801 Posts
Hi,

You did a great job here!

Looking at all the actual design with single arm for the tilt, I wonder if there is a particular reason to have this arm on the right side of the Gopro (when looking from front) instead of the left side.
It would completely free the AV and USB connectors.

The gimbal controllers (at least AlexMos' one) allow to reverse the motor so I don't see here a software problem, nor a mechanical difficulty.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Bastien
helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicoblast View Post
Hi,

You did a great job here!

Looking at all the actual design with single arm for the tilt, I wonder if there is a particular reason to have this arm on the right side of the Gopro (when looking from front) instead of the left side.
It would completely free the AV and USB connectors.

The gimbal controllers (at least AlexMos' one) allow to reverse the motor so I don't see here a software problem, nor a mechanical difficulty.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Bastien
Great observation but I think its more about centering the lens with the roll axis. I wonder if the slight offset caused by mounting it the other direction would make a big difference... Anyone test this yet on a existing brushless?