HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:30 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Hey Guys Check this out!!!!!! The Wing Thing is Awesome!!

Well ive never built a kit or anything but i decided to try building the wing thing from scratch. Well its almost done and it accually looks like i did it correctly!!! Right now you might be saying big deal anyone can build a plane. Well Im 15! I dont have pacients like you guys. Anyways sorry for bugging you im just sooooo happy!!!!!! Wooohoooo I would really like to thank AZ Chuck for putting the plans on the net so everyone can use them. Here are some pics of the plane so far.

JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:55 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
JStory,

So what do you have in mind for the power plant? GWS motor and props? Rx and servos? Battery size? Wonderful handy work. Keep us posted.

Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:57 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Im not sure yet. Ive got my radio gear but i was wondering what prop and motor to use. Im thinking about buying the 1717 motor but its 50 bucks so i dont know yet. Chuck recommends the Arc-1 prop but its 15 bucks and i would snap it in a second. Anyone have any suggestions on a motor and prop also where could i buy it from too.
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:59 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2001
18 Posts
Don't be sorry - it's always great to see someone starting out, and you're doing a great job. Post more pics as you go along won't you?
johnlaidlaw is offline Find More Posts by johnlaidlaw
Old Jul 08, 2001, 07:02 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Thx well if i can build it anyone can. So i really recommend this plane, i dont know if it will fly yet but hey its a whole 2 bucks worth of balsa.
Old Jul 08, 2001, 08:24 PM
mercer Island
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
hey have you seen this plane from bill griggs? looks like a foam wing thing http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...do/griggs4.jpg

i wonder when he'll kit it.
cheapflyr is offline Find More Posts by cheapflyr
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:47 PM
Thumbs a blur
Allen,Texas USA
Joined Dec 2000
126 Posts
It looks great!! The guys here are always helpful. Since its summer you can mow lawns to get the rest of your gear. Good Luck!
Augeredin is offline Find More Posts by Augeredin
Old Jul 09, 2001, 05:11 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
Hello,

Great ! ! !
Can we have a link to the plans please ?
I'll be making one of those . . .
Thanks -

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Jul 09, 2001, 07:41 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Looks good JStory. You make me all proud.
You could go with a $18 GWS motor and prop. I have not tried it but other people have said it works good. You will have to rework the beam for the motor. You have done so good so far that I think you can handle it.
GWS is coming out with a GWS A-10 motor, direct drive with a little bitsy prop. I want to try one on the Wing Thing. You might give EJF a call and see if they have them yet. They allso have a kit for the Wing Thing.
Electric Jet Factory. http://www.electricjetfactory.com/
520-579-5609 - Voice.
520-579-5610 - Fax.
Go to for download.
Wing Thing Plans. http://www.geocities.com/azchuckrc/wingthig.html
..AZ Chuck

Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jul 09, 2001, 08:03 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
JStory
Great piece of work! Keep it up and you'll soon be addicted to having straighter, lighter, better flying models that don't look like a bazillion others.

Patience? Of course you have it, you built this one!

If you're worried about props snapping - probably won't on a pusher - cover it, fit your radio, balance it up and test fly it some as a glider. That way, when you come to do the tricky bit with power - landing - you'll have an idea what its going to do.

Now go start on the next one! Great stuff.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 09, 2001, 08:43 AM
Addicted Member
Shrewsbury, MA
Joined May 2001
161 Posts
JStory, don't apologize. It is that feeling of "Wooohoooo" that makes this such a great hobby. I started this hobby at age 16 (I am now 33) with a stick built glider that my father got me for Christmas. Took me until the next Christmas to get the RC TX/RX to fly it .

Let us know how this flies with a GWS motor. Chuck has done a great job, not only with his design but also with the documentation of his design.

miker is offline Find More Posts by miker
Old Jul 09, 2001, 01:47 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,064 Posts
JStory,

Nice job! It feels good to build something with your own hands, doesn't it?

At least you didn't wait until you were 43 for your first scratch-built project! Now I feel like i'm 15 too...and it's a good feeling!

You may be interested in my "bashed" version and power system depending upon your flying skills...
http://www.isc.rit.edu/~gjc9518/project.htm

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Greg Covey (edited 07-09-2001).]
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jul 09, 2001, 02:58 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Should i use a GWS-A or GWS-b?? Also what is the best prop to use? Does it have to be a pusher prop? Im almost ready to cover the airplane. I got the cash to buy the motor but i dont have a credit card. Does anyone know a online hobby store that will ship using COD?
Old Jul 10, 2001, 05:24 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
Hello again,

A nuicance isn't it JStory - having the cash and not being able to do anything with it ?
You have no shops near enough to travel to ? There should be a few in Dallas.
( America is so BIG ! )
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the GWS 'A' and 'B' motors ?
Is it the gear ratio, or the ballraces ?
The orange GWS props are great, and very flexible.
I'm going to make one and fit my GWS motor onto it, running the 9" prop I have backwards.
TIA . . .

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Jul 10, 2001, 08:40 AM
Addicted Member
Shrewsbury, MA
Joined May 2001
161 Posts
JStory,

You do have a couple of shops in the Dallas area. I was always partial to <A href='http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgidir.dll?MEM=1&FUNC=FORMATSEARCH&LNK=3%3A155&C=& L=roy%27s+hobby&T=hurst&s=tx&Search.x=0&Search.y=0
'>Roy's Hobby</a> in Hurst. They have plenty of GWS supplies.

miker is offline Find More Posts by miker