Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:20 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Build Log
F-Sweep 35mm EDF - a micro, forward swept wing, EDF jet! (flying in the wind)

Hi guys, I am happy to present the latest incarnation of my 35mm EDF unit, the F-Sweep. This thing has forward swept wings , and it turned out that it flies AMAZINGLY!!!
Full specifications and schematics can be found on my blog: ArxangelRC.blogspot.com

It took a lot of crashes to make this thing fly because, as it turned out, the CG came at 20mm AHEAD of the leading edge!!

At the end it flew, and it flew great!! What amazes me is the great stalling resistance!! It is very stable even at low speeds. I am running the EDF on 3S in this model and it is like a rocket and exceptionally agile, as you will see in the video below.

I like how the model looks, flies, doesn't stall, and how fast it is. I think this will be the final revision. If I ever have to rebuild it due to crashing, I will do it exactly the same.

Here are some pics and a video of the maiden flights:

These are all necessary foam parts.

I used a 3mm square carbon tube as a spar.

Glued wooden meat skewers on the elevons to reduce flexing during flight.

Here it is finally ready.

And this is what it looked like just before it finally flew

Here is the video:
(I recommend full screen and at least 720p resolution)

F-Sweep KFm2 35mm EDF jet /w forward swept wings - maiden flight (3 min 54 sec)
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; Jul 18, 2013 at 05:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Here is some more video. Every time I fly this it still amazes me how easily it handles extreme and sharp maneuvers.

F-Sweep 35mm EDF - very stable during extreme manoeuvres (1 min 11 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Here is a flight at close range. The model can be see a bit more clearly. I would still suggest a full screen view at 1080p.

F-Sweep - flying at close range... (1 min 16 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:13 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Very impressive. Hopefully there are plans to come?
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Very impressive. Hopefully there are plans to come?
I believe you will find everything you need here: F-Sweep. The link is also available at the top of my first post.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
After the motor stopped working mid flight on Saturday, yesterday I got around to rewinding it. It wasn't easy on a small stator like this, but all went well and it works great. Its pulling 6.30amps, which is about 2 amps lower than before, and I will be able to verify the thrust once I've had a chance to fly it.

All info could be found at the bottom of the F-Sweep post on my blog: ArxangelRC.blogspot.com

Here are some pics, this is before the rewind:

... and this is after:

Since I did not have the same thickness wire, stock was 0.30mm, I used two strands of 0.15mm magnet wire. I am not sure how that could affect the performance of the motor, since this is my first rewind and I have no idea how all of that works. If anyone has any suggestions as to how it could have affected its performance, I would be glad to hear them. So far I know it dropped the max amp draw from 8.50 to 6.30.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
So, here is the video of the first flight after the rewind. The results are: amp draw went down by 2 amps, which is roughly 25% less than before, which also increased flight time by 25%, from 4 to 5 minutes. Thrust is 10-15% less, but the model can still pull of all of its stunts. I might rewind it with 3 threads in parallel in the future, but I think I will leave as is for the moment.

F-Sweep 35mm EDF with a rewound motor (first test flight) (2 min 7 sec)
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Here is some more fun flying with the little devil, in very strong wind. For the most part I was trying to do harriers against the wind. I dud have quite a lot of fun.

F-Sweep - flying in strong winds, trying to do Harrier... (3 min 12 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,651 Posts
Here is another video of the model flying in the wind. This time, a friend is filming with his zoom capable camera, so the video shows the model very well. There are also a lot of slow motion moments.

F-Sweep - slow motion flying in strong winds, playing around (3 min 18 sec)