HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Mini-HowTo
DJI NAZA GPS - PepsiCola's SAW filter mod

This thread is for discussion of my SAW filter mod to the NAZA GPS. This mod works for all the NAZA GPS units (including the Wookong). It was originally developed and tested on the NAZA-M GPS and might need some small changes for the other units. This mod solves the problem many of us have been having with these GPS units: we don't get satellite lock when the unit is close to our VTx or noisy electronics like the GoPro. With this mod, I have my GPS directly next to the antenna of my 1W 1.28GHz VTx, and I still get more than 7 satellites solidly locked throughout my flights.

For full details of the mod, please visit http://pepsicolarc.blogspot.com/2013...ilter-mod.html.
PepsiCola is online now Find More Posts by PepsiCola
Last edited by PepsiCola; Jul 01, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: moved main content to http://pepsicolarc.blogspot.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
858 Posts
You rule.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
914 Posts
Thank you Sir .!!
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:13 PM
United States, NJ, Ocean
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
Great I been having the same problem ! Will be ordering filters . Thanks for the info !!
Rrated is offline Find More Posts by Rrated
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:23 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,926 Posts
Awesome work! I have to admit I am thoroughly displeased with DJI over this. Skimping on a 2 dollar part on a $350+ system is ridiculous! I say a recall is in order.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, IL, Springfield
Joined Jan 2010
202 Posts
Nice, I bet an industrious person with the skills, could make a little cash modding GPS units for people or selling pre-modded units.

-X
Xymph is offline Find More Posts by Xymph
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
914 Posts
PepsiCola,
Did you presolder the wires onto the SAW filter before attaching it to the board. And did you then tack it onto the right pads? Thanks.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Mar 31, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: found the answer in the OP
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
PepsiCola,
Did you presolder the wires onto the SAW filter before attaching it to the board. And did you then tack it onto the right pads? Thanks.
I didn't presolder the wires but that might have been easier - just be super careful when you try to bend the wires after you've soldered them on because the pads on the filter will shear off very easily with even the slightest pressure.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:33 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,520 Posts
Suggest you put it on your blog so it can be found easily.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, OK, Duncan
Joined Jul 2012
124 Posts
Awesome job PepsiCola! Thank you for the post. Filters ordered.
gottahunt is offline Find More Posts by gottahunt
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:53 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined May 2005
417 Posts
Thank You for the how to. I also just ordered some 3 just in case and some new tips for my XYTronic I 68-3c solder station , 1/64" should do it.
cjz89civic is online now Find More Posts by cjz89civic
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:04 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
PepsiCola,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCola View Post
I didn't presolder the wires but that might have been easier - just be super careful when you try to bend the wires after you've soldered them on because the pads on the filter will shear off very easily with even the slightest pressure.
I haven't done this mod yet but I have done quite a few mods like it and here's my suggested procedure:
  1. Cut the trace and clean the enamel off of places you'll be soldering to.
  2. Solder the three pieces of solid wire to the appropriate places on the GPS board.
  3. Anchor the filter with some adhesive film or servo tape.
  4. Trim and bend the pieces of wire so they make contact with the appropriate pads on the filter.
  5. Solder the wires to the pad.

For a wire source you might consider a single strand out of a piece of stranded wire. I think THHN 14 AWG will probably have the right size strands and it's available from most hardware stores.

As I already said, I haven't actually done this yet so there could be something I'm missing, but after studying the photos I don't think so.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Thanks Pete! That's an excellent set of suggestions for how to approach the soldering.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:28 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCola View Post
Thanks Pete! That's an excellent set of suggestions for how to approach the soldering.
It's you who deserves the thanks, Pepsi! You did the R&D.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:47 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,745 Posts
Thanks for sharing, good stuff, stamp of approval !
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Closed Thread