HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2004, 12:36 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Fabricating simulated wire spoked wheels

I have posted this question in the Builders Workshop forum. I am hoping I will reach more people and gain more ideas by placing it in this Scale Modeling forum also.
I need to fabricate some light weight simulated wire spoked wheels for my vintage airplane project and I am at a loss for ideas and don't quite know how to approach this task.
Any photos, techniques, etc... would be of great help and gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.....Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2004, 07:13 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Greg,
This method was passed on to me by Roger Huber, who also took these photos.
Basically, the rim is a slice cut from plastic drain pipe, which has had a groove made for the tyre to sit in. It has also been drilled for the 'spokes'.
The hub is just a piece of brass tube with a washer soldered just in from each end.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 07, 2004, 07:21 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
The next stage is to mount both rim and hub onto a simple jig, and lace the spokes in position. Fishing line is good for this job, I've never snapped a 'spoke', even when the wheel itself was a write off.
Roger starts at one hole, passes the line around the hub and back to the next but one hole. He then goes back to the missed hole, and takes the line around the opposite side of the hub. Carry on until the entire wheel is complete, and then lock it all off with CA.
Old Jan 07, 2004, 07:25 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
The final step is to glue the tyre in place, CA again. The tyre itself can be virtually anything rubber that fits. I've used Hoover Junior drive belts, but they are on the heavy side. The smooth coated, sponge rubber strip is much lighter. Several sources for that have appeared in other threads.
Old Jan 07, 2004, 07:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Finally, here we see them pressed into service on Roger's little Sperry Monoplane model.
I have a set of these wheels, made by Roger, and they are the strongest spoked wheels I've come across. Far stronger than any of the commercial types I've tried.

Hope that's of some help.

Pete
Old Jan 07, 2004, 09:26 AM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Peter,

That's a neat method for making these little wheels....

How was the groove made in the wheel for the tires?
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Jan 07, 2004, 10:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Jeff,
I believe Roger said he used one of those little rotary file type tools in a mini drill, although any small, round file would do the job. Just rather more slowly.
If there isn't a plastic pipe available in the size you need, I've used an almost identical method, but with a strip of thin ply used to make the rim from. It needs to be well glued, and soaked in some type of laquer to harden it off. Those particular wheels survived two 40FS powered models, back when I was still influenced by the 'dark side'.
Old Jan 07, 2004, 01:26 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Thank you so very much Peter. I am impressed with these wheels. What size and type of fishing line did he use? Does or did he ever paint them? This is exactly what I was visualizing when I was trying to relocate the article I saved, or thought I saved, from a magazine some time back. Thanks again for your help..........Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jan 07, 2004, 02:27 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Wow.

What a great idea. Peter, you always seem to be in the know. When it comes to vintage planes, you can trace down an article for anything. How do you do it?

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jan 07, 2004, 07:04 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but an 8 thou guitar string might make a good substitute for the fishing line. Pre chromed as well. Or nickelled rather.

Might be stiff in the smaller wheels, but should suit larger ones. Solders as well.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 07, 2004, 08:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Greg,
Glad to have been able to help.
I don't think Roger painted his wheels, but I have done in the past. They look great with gloss black rims and hubs, but silver spokes.
All my wheels have used ordinary, monofilament line of various strains. A 5lb. model, for example, worked great with 12 lb line but for small electric models, 5 lb strain would be ample.

Jim,
Thanks mate, blame it on me hating to throw away anything that might come in handy. That same ideal applies equally to snippets of information,

Vintage,
The only problem I can foresee with guitar strings is them not being long enough to do all the lacing in one 'hit'. For larger wheels, some of the lighter grades of nylon coated trace line would work well.

This is one of those IC powered models I mentioned, the 80" span Flair Taube. Considering the model flew well on an old 40FS, it would make a good candidate for conversion to electric power.

Pete
Old Jan 08, 2004, 12:20 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,555 Posts
Guitar string spokes

Guitar strings would make great spokes, but they are not chromed. They are usually a nickel/steel alloy and will start oxidizing in a few weeks to a couple of months, so you'd have to find a way to coat or clear-paint these. You couldn't "thread" them so I guess you'd have to cut individual spokes.

Some newer guitar string sets such as the "Elixir" brand have the larger brass-wound strings in the set coated to reduce oxidation and increase string life but the 2 smallest unwound strings are still not coated.

Your local small guitar shop can usually sell a single string for $1 or so...

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Jan 08, 2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2004, 02:18 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
All guitar strings are nickel plated. Nickel actually rusts less than chrome. Its the gutarists sweaty fingers that cause the rust in time. Ive gort gutrairs that I haven't played for years and the strings still look silvery. Nickel also solders well.

Peters points are valid tho - hard to get very long strings without going to the manufacturer.

Peter: I wish you did some CNC cut little jigs, and a kit of parts for these. The rubber, the fishing line, bit of tube and some washers.. and precut and predrilled rims.

The jig and the rims are the worst part I think. Both fiddly jobs with the tools I have.

One possible way to make rims on a CNC machine would be to make them in split halves, out of ply, and machine slots, for the spokes (and in fact the tyre), that didn't go all the way through. Then you could just glue the halves together.

If you are interested mail me, and I will draw up what I mean and send it to you.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 08, 2004, 07:30 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Vintage,
With CNC time at around 25 an hour, they would work out awfully expensive wheels.
The jig really is quite simple to produce, it's the grooved and drilled rims that take the time. A kit of parts is a possibility, but the rims would have to be in the form of blanks for home finishing. It's something I can look into at any rate.

Pete
Old Jan 08, 2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Peter,

This is a great technique. The only thing I don't quite have down is the pattern of threading the spokes. Can you diagram it?

I have built wire wheels from Gunze Sangyo Hitech kits for scale motorcycles, but they used individual stainless spokes glued in place while the assembly is held in a jig. Would not work to well for an airplane, but the look is fantastic.

Thanks!

Tim
tim61 is offline Find More Posts by tim61