HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hoverthings FLIP FPV Quad

Hoverthings has created a very durable multicopter frame designed for low-level sorties.

Splash

A durable platform for fpv flying

Hoverthings has created a very durable multicopter frame designed for low-level sorties. The FLIP FPV consists of 3 G-10 plates sandwiched together with aluminum spacers. The arms are made of thick G-10 with slots cut for most popular motors in its size range. The FLIP FPV is available in a number of colors and patterns. As an owner of a camo FLIP FPV, I can attest to its durability. I've had one midair collision with a Flamewheel and 4 unplanned "landings". I've broken many props, trashed a motor, and a vtx antenna, but the frame has come out on top every time.

The FLIP FPV is made in the U.S.A.

Specifications:

• Price: $100
  • Size: Width 14.5" (375mm) Length 11" (280mm)
  • Diagonal Measurement: (diagonally motor to motor): 450mm
  • Weight: 12 oz. (350g)

Cruisin' with the Hoverthings Flip (1 min 29 sec)

Flip test 2 - a gentle thrashing...(long arm rebuild) (5 min 58 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:35 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
615 Posts
FPV-Backyard racing Flip-FPV frame (2 min 31 sec)
xhover is online now Find More Posts by xhover
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:12 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Awesome flying in that video!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 01, 2013, 03:44 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Great Vids!

Thanks for helping me out with my Flip Matt!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:32 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Simply awesome! I love my HoverThings Flip FPV!! Mine was built by WiteSpy and I am amazed how good it performs!! I Have been so very impressed with all of the HoverThings designed Quads!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Apr 03, 2013, 06:57 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
441 Posts
So, how do people mount FPV cameras? I see lot's of GoPro footage, but a GoPro has a few milli-seconds latency. Do people just fly with that? I've flown FPV with it, and it wasn't that bad for casual flying, but I'd be a little worried about it for close quarter flying. How do you deal with unreliability of a GoPro? Or do you just go for it and hope? Mine (V2) turns itself off 5 out of 10 times at random. It's not a setting or it would do it all the time. It records only when the footage is unwanted. It's great for capturing boring footage though.

Also what FC board is preferred on the flip? Any success with a KK 2.0 board? I see the first picture with a NAZA - will the NAZA do acrobatics? I've heard to avoid self level mode, but I'm trying to get off that anyhow so that is ok. Is the NAZA ok in manual mode?

8" props preferred over 10"?

More details (any) would be nice in this 'review'.
spiked3 is online now Find More Posts by spiked3
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:33 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
The popular consensus is to use a separate flight camera, like an RMRC540 or RMRC600 and let the gopro just record on its own. The GoPro's video-out quality isn't as good as the flight camera, and you risk having the GoPro shut off.

The pic in the header is my personal FLIP, Im using a NAZA and have not used others. I fly mostly in manual mode. Its very responsive indeed. Never flipped or rolled it though so I cant comment on that aspect. Your choice of prop is dictated by your motors. I will tell you that 10" props get too close to the GoPro for my taste. Im using 9x4.7" props and RCTimer 2212 1000kv motors. Its a solid combo with plenty of power and run time on 3s 4200 MAh.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
The popular consensus is to use a separate flight camera, like an RMRC540 or RMRC600 and let the gopro just record on its own. The GoPro's video-out quality isn't as good as the flight camera, and you risk having the GoPro shut off.

The pic in the header is my personal FLIP, Im using a NAZA and have not used others. I fly mostly in manual mode. Its very responsive indeed. Never flipped or rolled it though so I cant comment on that aspect. Your choice of prop is dictated by your motors. I will tell you that 10" props get too close to the GoPro for my taste. Im using 9x4.7" props and RCTimer 2212 1000kv motors. Its a solid combo with plenty of power and run time on 3s 4200 MAh.
Well I can verify the goPro gets too close, many many scuffs and scratches, but the flip fpv frame does not have mounting for a dual configuration. I drilled my own holes and did it anyway and it still sucked. Its made for one cam only and it will only hold one camera comfortably. BTW I'm running the same props and motor, and rc timer SimonKs, but so far the APM controller has been unusable after a pain the butt mounting effort. So I guess I will try the NAZA next, and go back to just a GoPro, it can't get any worse.

apm25 (2 min 5 sec)
Last edited by spiked3; Apr 03, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:09 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
Theres plenty of room for the GoPro and a small flight cam to share the same front platform. heres a picture showing them both on there:

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2007
441 Posts
I guess we have different definitions of 'plenty'. In any case, that is not what the mounting positions are cut for, but if your comfortable with the camera hanging over the edge, then sure, I guess you could. Could you provide a picture of the cameras in that configuration? Where you drilled the FPV cam mount? How you tied the GoPro down, what mounting you used for the GoPro?
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
Here you go. Easy to drill the camera mount. I'm using a piece of rubber sorbothane under the camera and a woman's hair band to hold the gopro down. The gopro doesn't really hang off much... in no way in danger of falling off.
You can always move the flight camera out more since its bolted down. that will bring the gopro in a bit. But since Ive flown the heck out of mine with no issues, Ill tell you this configuration works just fine

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:07 PM
Team WarpSquad, y'all!
United States, AL, Guntersville
Joined Dec 2012
1,019 Posts
That looks like a nice frame, but why would you want something that may get lost in the woods to be camouflaged? I want day-glo orange or something visible like that to aid in recovery.
Moto Moto is offline Find More Posts by Moto Moto
Last edited by Moto Moto; Apr 03, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:18 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
eh... choosing a day-glo color to aide in finding it on a hypothetical search and recovery mission didn't really cross my mind when I built it. I mean, to each his own, but I dig the camo and have not dumped anything in the woods yet to where I cant find it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Here you go. Easy to drill the camera mount. I'm using a piece of rubber sorbothane under the camera and a woman's hair band to hold the gopro down. The gopro doesn't really hang off much... in no way in danger of falling off.
You can always move the flight camera out more since its bolted down. that will bring the gopro in a bit. But since Ive flown the heck out of mine with no issues, Ill tell you this configuration works just fine

Thanks. I'll modify mine that way. The over under thing didn't work out too well. I see what you mean about moving the FPV cam out a little more. I've got the Lens protection thing (getfpv layerlens) on the goPro, so I'm not sure I can do just like that, but I'll figure it out. Replacement parts for the last disaster arrived today, so off I go.

I had asked about the GoPro mounting before (elsewhere) and never really got an answer. thanks for that pointer - which thickness? I see a bunch of different ones on eBay; http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

BTW I did the exact same color scheme. I have a bunch of the hobby king lost beepers to test to see which one I like, for if it ever gets lost in the woods, but I'm hoping mostly to use soccer goals as pylons and some soccer field racing. So camo is not an issue

edit: nice pics BTW. I recognize the level of effort
https://picasaweb.google.com/1046678...ascades3_30_13
Last edited by spiked3; Apr 03, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,562 Posts
THE FLIP FPV OF ALL FLIP'S
6S yeah you read right 22.2V Powered Flip FPV

Check it out here for full details and pictures!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879166
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117