HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:30 PM
Len
Belvidere, IL.
Joined Jan 2003
26 Posts
NE-1, or NE-2??

Hello

Where can I find what a NE-1 or NE-2 style piper cub. I am building a piper cub J3, and want to finish it in the Navy scheme of the NE-1. It appears that I need to cover it in insignia blue and gray, but i want to get the covering right. Also, where can I get the decals for this plane? It is from a GP piper cub J3 20 size. The side of the box shows a picture, albiet just a side shot, and GP does not carry the optional decals. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Len
Len is offline Find More Posts by Len
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2004, 11:56 AM
Humble, TX
Joined Dec 2003
138 Posts
Hi Len,

The Navy Cubs varied--some of them had the L-4 style windows and some of them were stock civilian ships with the normal window layout. I've seen yellow ones, the blue/gray that you mention and two tone blue over white.

Markings were pretty sparse, usually had the normal US national markings for whatever period you're depicting, and the aircraft designation and US Navy in small lettering on the fin. I've got some pics in a book at home--if you'll drop me an email to jetmex@earthlink.net I'll scan them and send them off to you.

Here's a pic of a plastic scale model NE-1 of Airship Squadron 32 in the blue-gray, might help you with the markings. This one is pretty typical..

http://www.arcair5.com/Gal1/501-600/...utz/gal568.htm

Here's another one, in overall yellow:

http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/piper_ne.htm

That'll get you started, anyway

jetmex is offline Find More Posts by jetmex
Old Jan 08, 2004, 11:04 PM
Len
Belvidere, IL.
Joined Jan 2003
26 Posts
Thanks Jetmex,

I really appreciate your help. This will be my first attempt at a scale plane, and those scanned pics will be a great help. I sent an e-mail. I figured it would be nice to bring a different cub to the clubs cub fly in than the standard yellow. This will be a HUGE help!!

In your Debt,

Len
Len is offline Find More Posts by Len