Old Nov 27, 2001, 01:41 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Dh-2 BEAVER!

HI

I just sold my ELECTRIcUB..

NIce plane..Taught me alot!

I already miss it and so am going heavy metal and want to do a De Havilland Beaver...On wheels ..I mean skiis Then Floats, then wheels..Winter spring, then summer

It will have Flaps and Flaperons just like the BIG one.
Anyway, does anyone out there have the AIRSAIL kit of this Airplane?

It has a 60" WS and a perfect replacement...,size wise, to my Cub...Fits in the back of the Caravan in one piece!

I've got full access at work to the Maint./repair manual for the fullsize but don't really need another scratchbuilt project at this time I've got enough on my plate with the Jets and EDF contest.

Thanks for any input

Bruce Friend in Calgary
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2001, 12:18 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
There is a Canadian kit of the Beaver - don't know the exact span...but I think it came in 60 inch span, and a larger size, around 90 inch span.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 28, 2001, 12:36 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
The kits that you refer to are produced by Unionville Hobbies, near Toronto.

I am more interested in the Airsail kit as it has a lot of really nice Vacuum formed parts,ie landing gear leg covers, cowl etc. and it looks SPOT ON!

I peeked into one about a year ago at my LHS and it was gone before I could save my pennies up.

http://www.airsailmodels.co.nz/rcscale.htm#de

Check it out!
Old Nov 28, 2001, 03:03 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2001
56 Posts
I have built one of the Airsail Beavers as a second plane, very easy to build and a most lovely flyer. Unfortunately it was sold of to another much more capable pilot. I am currently looking at working on another one, this time with a working hopper for distributing fertiliser!

Sam

btw. It should be a relatively good buy as NZ currency isn't worth much!
Soarla is offline Find More Posts by Soarla
Old Nov 28, 2001, 04:43 PM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
"Unionville Models" which I believe is in Ontario, Canada makes two versions of a Beaver, IIRC.

Brad Trent from Vancouver, BC has one that flys both land and floats. It's a nice looking Beaver! I believe he flys on a MEC Turbo 10+ with 10 cells.

You might try doing a search, I know he's posted previously.

MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old Nov 28, 2001, 07:32 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
AAAhh...Like I said, I'm not too interested in the Unionville Hobbies kit of the Beaver...I used to live near Unionville. and am familiar with this kit.

Any body in North America with this kit?

Bruce
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:03 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2001
262 Posts
HVP or JR make a kit with glass fuselage - maybe EAM (Electric Aircraft Models - Dallas) has it or can get?
Bruce DeVisser is offline Find More Posts by Bruce DeVisser
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:20 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Bruce:
These kits (Airsale) have been available at several B.C. shops in the past 4 years, I'll see if I can locate one for you. My flying buddy has one 60% framed, and there's another built and covered hanging in a shop about an hour's drive away. I'll let you know what I find. The kit is a little "fussy" to build, and the pics in the instructions are so small that they're useless, but it is a much more scale version than the Unionville kit that I flew for years.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:40 AM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Richmond R/C in BC is the N. American distributor for AirSail, but they seem to be pushing the VMar line now. Hobby Supply South used to sell them in the US, but they are no more.

I've seen the Beaver in our local LHS (BC Shaver) and ECMC used to have it. I assume there are still some around Canada at Hobby Hobby or their kind. Did you try PMS?

Check out the new ECMC/Great Hobbies (old Sunset R/C) in Edmonton? They'll have a lot of accumulated stock that just might be discounted during the grand opening on Dec. 15/16.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:42 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Brad

Nice to hear from you! I was under the same impression regarding the Unionville Kits VS the Airsail kit..scale wise

Please let me know what you find but don't go out of your way

I am planning on putting flaps on this one and powering it with an Astro 15G on 10-12 cells...What do you think...? It has a 407 sq.in. wing.

What are you building for the Spring Chilliwack meet?

Rick

I saw it at PMS...Now called PM hobbies...wonder why the name change.. It was about a year ago. Vmar eeuucckkk.

I'll be there on the 15 for sure , bring the credit card!!!
Last edited by gbruce; Nov 29, 2001 at 12:49 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 01:05 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
I looked at an Airsail Beaver kit last year with a view to it getting an Astro 15G and 12 cells, but I came to the conclusion that it was a very nice kit, but there is a lot of wood in there for an electric conversion - perhaps I was wrong...

To cut a long story short, there is a Unionville 72" electric Beaver kit at my old address (which will be collected on Saturday), and that is now intended for my 15G with a Superbox and 14 cells running at up to 25A - any interest in a report on the state of the kit?

Regards, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Nov 29, 2001, 11:08 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
gbruce:
The small size of the Airsale kit compared to the Unionville one is what made me choose the U.V. one, and even then I went with a much lighter power system than the recommended AF25G/14 cells; I used the MEC Turbo 10+ on 10 cells and saved almost a pound. My thoughts on the Airsail lean towards the MEC or a Kyosho Atomic Force (17 turn) or Endoplasma (16 turn) propped and geared for 30-35A on 8 2400's or 3000 Nimh to keep weight down, as the kit fus. is fully sheeted and therefore heavy. The one my buddy Robert is building has an extra bay added to each wing panel, and 1/4" wider aileron/flap stock substituted to increase wing area and reduce loading. The flaps are a must, they're what make it a Beaver!

The finished plane that I've seen is in One Stop Hobbies in Abbotsford, so it's not the same one that Rick has seen on the Island.

I hope to have my 22% Fokker D VII ready to fly in time for the May meet in Chilliwack. The basic fus. box is framed ala Ivan, and weighs all of 8.5oz.! Looks spindly, but is very strong. It'll have the Jasta 18 red and white colour scheme. The intended power is Astro 25 geared 4.7:1 with a MEC Monsterbox (like Maxim uses) on 18 to 20 cells, 18x12 prop. It should look good in the air with Ron's Eindekker or DR I.

I hope we'll meet again there this spring.

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Nov 30, 2001, 12:28 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I actully planned on building a lite fuse for the Beaver with sticks etc. then a 1/16 skin to give it a solid look..NO "Starving Horse" Beaver for me.

I do have a Magnetic Mayhem with nothing to do but really want to use my Cobalts for SOMETHING other that collecting dust

Perhaps the o5 might be a better choice ...with a Superbox or regular GB?

What is this method that Ivan P. is using? Perhaps I could adapt it for the DH-2!

Thanks Bruce
Old Nov 30, 2001, 07:44 AM
Joined Oct 2001
217 Posts
Try A&J's Hobbies. They are located in Markham (just outside Toronto) and have a great stock of models and electric components. I believe I saw a kit in stock. So give them a call and best of luck (905) 305-1479
Glenn
electroflyer is offline Find More Posts by electroflyer
Old Nov 30, 2001, 09:31 AM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Hi Bruce,

The Airsail kit is a much more scale rendition of the DH-2 than the Unionville kit from Canada. It is available from Richmond R/C as Rick Page has noted above. Perhaps Great Hobbies (formerly East Coast Model Center) also have it. Nice kit but it is a builders kit. After seeing some of your work at Chilliwack I know you'll have no problems with it.

Good choice for power might be the reverse Magnetic Mayhem, geared about 2.5:1 on 8 cells using a 12 X 8 APC e or a Top Fliter Electric series wood of the same. Especially if you build a la Ivan i.e. very lightly constructed and add lightness as you're building. Instead of 1/16 sheeting for the fuse, try infilling with 1/32 between the stringers etc if thats the way you intend to go.

Good Luck with your new project, see you in Chilliwack this May? The Spring Annual Fly-In at Fairfield is May 24, 25, 26 & 27th this year...

DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB