HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:07 PM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Building full size expiramental aircraft....

Anybody ever home build an expiremental aircraft?
I'm drawing up plans for something I think is very possible... A canard design, utilizing a fuel injected geo metro 3cyl engine and a kit from Raven Redrives... Using plywood, aluminum and fibreglass, it looks like it could be done up for under $5,000... I'll post plans a little later on after I've decided on which final design.
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:38 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,908 Posts
Experimental

This is the one I built. Put N717N in google.
Eut
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:40 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
Im still saving my money and collecting tools for Vans RV-7
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Jan 07, 2004, 01:43 PM
Exotic Dancer
Atlanta, Ga, USA
Joined Jul 2001
766 Posts
I helped build a Harmon rocket- close to the RV series, but faster (in most cases), and much better looking (IMHO).
Pork Tornado is offline Find More Posts by Pork Tornado
Old Jan 07, 2004, 02:29 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Re: Experimental

Quote:
Originally posted by California Condor
This is the one I built. Put N717N in google.
Eut
The Whitman Tailwind is considered to be a really nice flying airplane and easy to build if you don't mind looking down and watching school buses pass you up

Having done quite a bit of research (and finally decided and am now working on my RV7-A Quickbuild), I think one has a big uphill battle designing and then trying to market a totally new homebuilt design.

For one thing, you BETTER have aviation engineering credentials up the yin-yang or you won't sell even one kit.
It's one thing to build and fly models "just to see how it flies", it's quite another to build something that may very well end up being someone's coffin.
I think the term "Experimental" is not truly the attitude of the homebuilding community. It may say Experimental on the plate, but the darn thing BETTER not be an experiment once it's built and the builder is ready to fly.

Any homebuilt that soon gathers one or two accident reports early on is doomed to fail in the marketplace so you have to have the resources to design, and then test, and hope it's really ready to fly at or before you reach the point where you run out of money.

So, don't be discouraged, just make sure you don't lose touch with the reality of what it takes to actually produce and market ANY homebuilt aircraft design.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jan 07, 2004, 04:19 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,908 Posts
Pretty fast school buses Highflight, I have been clocked over a 60 mile closed course (Pazmany contest) at over 190 mph.
Eut
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 07, 2004, 04:38 PM
Exotic Dancer
Atlanta, Ga, USA
Joined Jul 2001
766 Posts
he must have been thinking of a Kitfox. I got my dad's down to below 30KIAS, and it was still controllable, if a bit mushy.
Pork Tornado is offline Find More Posts by Pork Tornado
Old Jan 07, 2004, 08:12 PM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Finding information on the internet about actual construction and type of wood to use has proven difficult. For the bulkheads I'm thinking about just picking out a few healthy looking sheets of 3/4" plywood...

As far as the skin goes, we're thinking about designing the craft using using fibreglass skin as the main load bearing structure.

I've been trying to decide which type of wood to go with....if any of you guys have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Old Jan 07, 2004, 09:54 PM
Al
Sidney,British Columbia, Canada
Joined Jan 1999
180 Posts
I have been looking into building one and would like to go with something that uses the corvair motor conversion. Althought the suzuki or geo conversion you talk about sounds interesting. Do you have a website that talks about this conversion for aircraft?Mt first choice for a homebiult would be something like a Zenair CH701 or Ch 601 Zodiac. These are all aluminum and put together with blind rivets. Good Luck
Al is offline Find More Posts by Al
Last edited by Al; Jan 07, 2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2004, 10:27 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
799 Posts
Suggestions? #1-Join the EAA (experimental aircraft association) #2- go to Oskosh for the annual fly-in. (or the closest regional EAA get-together) # 3- find a used bookstore and get all the back copies of "kitplanes"and /or "Sport Aviation" you can find/afford/are interested in.......# 4-Do a google...... # 5-Go to the EAA website and see if there is a local chapter in your area and go to a meeting meet some of the folks and maybe weasel an invite to check out thier project........

That should be enough to get you started...

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Jan 07, 2004, 11:22 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,100 Posts
Model it

If this is your own design, perhaps you should build a model of it first. Canard designs can be tricky to design. CG, airfoil selection, and stability/control are just some of the issues to be considered.

Sounds cool though. Consider putting a ballistic parchute in it?
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Jan 08, 2004, 05:54 PM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Re: Model it

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Walker
Consider putting a ballistic parchute in it?
Oh yes!

We're not skimping on any aspect of the plane. Today we laid out the dimensions by using a tape measure and chalking on the street in front of our house, just to get an idea of how big this thing will be. We're using tried and true canard/wing ratios for a solid flying aircraft.

Information on the engine I'll be using can be found at http://www.raven-rotor.com/ , they make it pretty inexpensive to have 62hp at your disposal. I think that should do well on a 500-600lb empty weight plane.

Construction of the fuselage frame is starting in a few weeks, and I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and document it all for a webpae or something.
Old Jan 08, 2004, 06:05 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
your not talking about using plywood form home depot are you?
hopefully you are using aircraft grade materials. Try www.aircraftspruce.com or www.wicksaircraft.com
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Jan 08, 2004, 06:26 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Iíve never really been involved with home builts, but I would assume that the FAA needs to sign it off as being airworthy prior to flight (unless you have a r-e-a-l-l-y big area of private property that you plan on flying over). The best advice is to contact the EAA for advice.

Sounds fun, good luck.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jan 08, 2004, 08:32 PM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
I know Australia has a class of aircraft that don't need to be inspected or approved or anything, but they have to be below a certain weight (300kg I think) and only capable of carrying one person (the builder). Maybe the US has something similar?

Sounds very cool though KMKAZE! Make sure you post photos
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza