HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2001, 01:05 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
Indoor flying in Kansas City !!!!!

Hello Guys, We are starting up the winter indoor season in the Kansas City area . We are still using the Gym in Desoto Ks, 84th & Shawnee. Our next scheduled date is December 8th at 6pm to 9pm. The gym is not real big so slowfliers only, the actual flying area is the size of a basketball court, bleachers for pit area. Landing fee depends on how many show up, the more pilots the less it costs. we currently have 10-12 regular pilots. Its a blast . Come in and get out of the cold and have some fun.

We are also welcome to any suggestions to bigger facilities but want to keep costs low.

For updated info check out the Shawnee mission radio control club web site oe feel free to Email Me.
Dave Bowles is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bowles
Last edited by Dave Bowles; Nov 29, 2001 at 02:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2001, 06:41 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
Kansas City Area Fly-in

Dave,

I'm a student at Kansas State, originally from Atchison (Not too far from you), anyway I was looking for a place to fly this winter. I'll be in Atchison for Christmas break. When you said the gym is "not real big" what type of planes did you have in mind? I would definately be interested in some more info.

Thanks

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Nov 28, 2001, 11:36 PM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
Indoor

Most of the Aircraft have been Pico Stik and Cub type planes, I use the GWS TigerMoth Bipe and the IFO. I have also flown the Soarstar/Wingo/Popy but it was quit large for the area. We haev not really made any restrictions on size but were thinking that anything 380 size motor or smaller , or some kind of weight Limit. We are currently working on Getting the GYM in Basehor Ks. it is considerably larger.

What aircraft do you Have?
Old Nov 29, 2001, 11:22 AM
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
Dave,

Nice to hear back from you. My Dad and I have been flying a GWS Litestick FD version, Herr Starlite, Champion, and the Wing Thing from Arizona Chuck's plans. These planes probably wouldn't have a problem, I've never flown indoors, so it will probably take some adjustment. We flew glow for about 13 years before we got into electric, so we're both decent pilots. If you have a chance, check out my website.
website

-Mike
Old Nov 29, 2001, 01:51 PM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
indoor

Hello Mike, I believe those will work fine, the wing thing is really interesting, I flew the little GWS B2 bomber at this facility last season, kind of the same size . The web site looks real good, I am in Leavenworth so I will not be to far away. I haven't looked into using the gyms here in town. There is still a regular flying field at that little lake in Atchison. Here is the website of the Shawnee Mission Club that I belong to,

http://members.tripod.com/~smrcc/index.html ,

we use it as a place to post events for the KC area . This is a web site of one of the guys that flies in Desoto, if you go to the Gallary you will find a pic of me with the TigerMoth.

http://casstel.net/~lensrc/

Give me a line when you get in town, some of the Hobby stores carry alot of electric stuff now. If its nice enough we can fly outside around here or up there, plenty of parks around.

Later Dave
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:26 AM
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
Dave,

Drop me an email when you're planning to go fly in Desoto, I think my Dad(Jim) and I will try to make the trip during the holidays... I'll send you an email when I get back to Atchison. There are some people flying at the lake, one other guy in Atchison is out there just about every day the wind is down... This guy has quite a few different parkflyers. There are quite a few glow flyers as well, I've pretty much converted to an electric guy though. Which hobby shops are you talking about? I've been to the one on Metcalf, and the one in Claycomo. Are there some other good ones?
The wing thing is a pretty cool plane, builds real fast too. I haven't had that much time to play with it lately, school just eats up soooo much time. But anyway, we will definitely try to find a time to get together and crash, I mean fly some stuff. I plan on spending some serious time on my Mig15 over break, so maybe I could test fly it in Desota. All for now.

-Mike
Old Dec 03, 2001, 12:52 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
KC

We will be flying Desoto December 8th at 6pm -9pm. MNC hobbies in Claycomo and Hobby Town and Hobby Haven on Metcalf in Overland Park are the ones I visit Normally, you might also check out Spectrum Hobbies outside of St.Joe, He has a website just do a search, I don't know what he has in electrics but can get some thing and has reasonable prices. we are also trying to get a road trip to a big Fly in Iowa, one is Dec. 9th whiich I probibly can't do , the next is Jan. 6th. check out the Iowa thread in this forum. Later Dave
Old Dec 03, 2001, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I won't be able to make it to the Dec 8 fly... Final exams are not over until the end of next week (can't wait!). After that I'll probably be able to make a trip. Till then...

-Mike
Old Dec 16, 2001, 02:09 AM
Macho Grande, Ks.
Joined Nov 2001
106 Posts
KSU & Dave :

I've got a reservation in for the gym Feb. 9th. 6:00 - 9:00 pm.
Flyers in the Kansas City area, come on out to DeSoto and try
your skills. The flying is casual and the walls are unforgiving.

See you then

Randy
rreiss is offline Find More Posts by rreiss
Last edited by rreiss; Jan 27, 2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2002, 03:42 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
headed for Iowa

Hey Guys were heading for the UNI Dome for some big time indoor fun, Check out the info in the Iowa Thread. Later
Old Jan 04, 2002, 07:49 AM
Montezuma, Iowa
Joined Apr 2001
205 Posts
Dave,
Glad to hear Kansas City is coming up to the UNI DOME. It doesn't show on the www site map, but the entrance you'll want to use is on the back side (west side) of the dome. You'll find a drivingway and small parking lot sloping down towards an overhead door. That's where we go in. It opens at 8:00 am. I'll be there then. Look me up when you get there. I'd like to learn more about the Kansas City events. If you ever have one on a weekend, I'd be there.
Mike Gretz
SIG Mfg. Co.
mdgretz is offline Find More Posts by mdgretz
Old Jan 15, 2002, 12:23 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
It keeps getting Better

Next Date is the 26th of Jan. 6-9 , we are getting good crowds and it looks like we will have to start to organize our flying a little, just to many in the air at the same time. lots of fun.