Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:47 PM
20+ years rc pro and semi pro
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9XR internal antenna mod - no soldering

here are a few pics to help you mod your module and 9xr , the only thing you need to do the mod is a 2.4 transmitter antenna with a 6" coax with the mini gold connector. im sure you can buy one on ebay for around $1 but most of us have a crappy 2.4 radio laying around to steal it from

the rtf 3-4 ch eflite radios like the one included with a champ or msr heli will work great , the MLP4DSM compact radio is a good one to sacrifice they are cheap and they just collect dust once you bind your mini or micro to your"Big boy" radio..

pics show the basics but if you need help let me know and i can show you more pics i took during the mod :

thx , enjoy rc brian nj

details are in the descriptions of each pic

Name: IMG_0372.jpg
Views: 1319
Size: 303.8 KB
Description: module with stock external antenna

Name: IMG_0376.jpg
Views: 1670
Size: 232.1 KB
Description: open module and unplug the gold coaxial connector from board

Name: IMG_0379.jpg
Views: 1703
Size: 274.2 KB
Description: remove antenna mounting stud and coax then plug hole , plug came from an old rc radio that had extra holes for switches that were not installed at factory

Name: IMG_0385.jpg
Views: 2059
Size: 261.9 KB
Description: pop out stock internal antenna and tuck away , place new antenna in stock location in handlke and secure with hot glue or tape (yellow tape in pic)

Name: IMG_0388.jpg
Views: 1794
Size: 140.0 KB
Description: put radio back together and drill hole in module to feed new coax to the board, plug it in and put the guts back into the module ... then range test before first flight...

Name: IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 1745
Size: 249.4 KB
Description: i stole the new antenna from a broken dx6i but you can buy one or take it from another 2.4 radio . even the stock 3-4 ch radio like from a hobbyzone champ will have the antenna you need :)
rc brian nj is offline Find More Posts by rc brian nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
93 people looked and no comments , is this a useless thread ? i like my 9xr even more now that it can sit flat on the table so i thought others would really like this mod . people get nervous when it comes to modifying their electronics so im just trying to let people know that some things are really easy to do on your own

these days most small consumer electronics are disposable , so if your new to tinkering start with something broken and you will have nothing to loose! im going to make some tutorials about basic electronics , soldering , and diy rc repair so i hope some folks will follow along!

thx rc brian nj
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:06 PM
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
I'm definitely interested but I haven't purchased a 9xr yet! One question in the forth pick down there is two antennas in the case. Is one the stock one in the handle and the other the one from your OrangeRX module? Can you not connect it to the stock one?
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:07 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Sep 2011
31 Posts
Range Mod vrs Non Mod

I have a 9xR I was going to use the Tx connector. In-fact I picked up a wired connector cable for 3$
Your mod is a little easier due to the fact the 9xRs poor antenna must be replaced.
But
On your mod you have to find the right antenna with the right connector.
and
It seems that you could have used the modules antenna and stuffed in the coax connections into the radio.
Using the module antenna would have eliminated any cost?
Or
Am I missing something?
DipWeed is offline Find More Posts by DipWeed
Last edited by DipWeed; Apr 01, 2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added module antenna info
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:44 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Thanks very much for the pictures of your modification. I was just thinking about doing something similar, as the Orange module antenna setup is far from satisfactory -- far too vulnerable. Your approach will be very helpful.

Have you done any range tests to determine how the performance of the antenna setup compares with a regular external antenna?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
i think your right ...

the antenna connector on the coax is a standard gold mini coax connector like you find in all kinds of small electronics like cell phones , laptops , wifi cards and just about and 2.4 ghz transmitter. most of us have the stock 2.4 that comes with most rtf planes and helis so its no big deal to hack one open . the stock antenna from the module has a very short coax and even though the connector is correct you cant reach the board with the antenna in the stock location. i guess you could just unhook it and stuff it into the module but then the actual antenna would be on a diagonal (2.4mhz prefer a vertical or horizonal pattern of radiation , perpendicular to the recievers antenna) plus the antenna would be pointing to the ground while you transmitt. im a ham radio operator and i build custom "home brew" antennas to talk around the world (nerdy but fun) im also one of the few cb radio operators so antenna theory is a big part of that hobby . i could have unsoldered the coax in the radio from the board and hooked it up directly but its tough to solder things that small for most guys including myself my range checks before and after showed the antenna in the handle has a more consistant signal then the antenna on the outside of the module facing down when holding radio in the normal position ..

im also building a mini dipole antenna for long range fpv! i will post a thread with pics and range results as soon as i can!

thx rc brian nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipWeed View Post
I have a 9xR I was going to use the Tx connecto

r. In-fact I picked up a wired connector cable for 3$
Your mod is a little easier due to the fact the 9xRs poor antenna must be replaced.
But
On your mod you have to find the right antenna with the right connector.
and
It seems that you could have used the modules antenna and stuffed in the coax connections into the radio.
Using the module antenna would have eliminated any cost?
Or
Am I missing something?
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
range test results

the results are in the post above this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Thanks very much for the pictures of you

r modification. I was just thinking about doing something similar, as the Orange module antenna setup is far from satisfactory -- far too vulnerable. Your approach will be very helpful.

Have you done any range tests to determine how the performance of the antenna setup compares with a regular external antenna?
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
stock and new antenna still in there

the stock antenna is the lower one . i took it out of the handle so i could put the new one in the stock location(in handle with yellow tape). i could have clipped the stock one but if they release a new module that is setup to use the stock connector it will be there waiting for me im pretty sure the stock coax is soldered to the board inside but i didnt go that deep to find out i just tucked it away.

thx rc brian nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFresh609 View Post
I'm definitely interested but I haven't purchased a 9xr yet! One question in the forth pick down there is two antennas in the case. Is one the stock one in the handle and the other the one from your OrangeRX module? Can you not connect it to the stock one?
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:51 AM
the kgb flies again!
Somerset West, South Africa
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
At last my TX fits in the case!

Thanks for this mod thread. I have just completed it and it worked after a little jiggling around. I will do some long range tests at our field soon and see how it works, although the fact that the antenna lies parallel to the ground instead of pointing at the model should make it even better.

It seemed that I had pinched the ID generator button when I put the case back so I have to do some re-binding, but funny enough I had wanted to change ID's anyway - no real reason, just wanted to be sure I have a different ID to anyone else.

It's great to not have that antenna sticking out the back and as I won't be swapping modules its not a problem. Thanks again!
kgbester is offline Find More Posts by kgbester
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
Dr Rocket
Sweden, Írebro County, Írebro
Joined Jun 2007
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc brian nj View Post
93 people looked and no comments , is this a useless thread ? i like my 9xr even more now that it can sit flat on the table so i thought others would really like this mod . people get nervous when it comes to modifying their electronics so im just trying to let people know that some things are really easy to do on your own

these days most small consumer electronics are disposable , so if your new to tinkering start with something broken and you will have nothing to loose! im going to make some tutorials about basic electronics , soldering , and diy rc repair so i hope some folks will follow along!

thx rc brian nj
Please do a video tutorial about the antenna mod, and tips on soldering.
kippan is offline Find More Posts by kippan
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
awesome job!

the tiny gold connector can be tightened by squeezing the tabs around the outside gently. its tough to unplug the connector without spreading the tabs so i always give them a little pinch before reconnecting them. if its loose it will glitch so once your done tap on the module while you are looking at your plane if there is no glitching its tight enough! if you get a glitch open the module up and tighten the tabs a little bit then plug her back in!

you also brought up a good point , if you are going to be swapping out the module often than this mod is probably not the best idea for you. thanks for highlighting that !

doesnt it feel good to use your radio without fear of breaking off your antenna

good deal ! thx rc brian nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbester View Post
Thanks for this mod thread. I have just completed it and it worked after a little jiggling around. I will do some long range tests at our field soon and see how it works, although the fact that the antenna lies parallel to the ground instead of pointing at the model should make it even better.

It seemed that I had pinched the ID generator button when I put the case back so I have to do some re-binding, but funny enough I had wanted to change ID's anyway - no real reason, just wanted to be sure I have a different ID to anyone else.

It's great to not have that antenna sticking out the back and as I won't be swapping modules its not a problem. Thanks again!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
video tutorials

im working on a good setup for making tutorials i have a good video camera with an external mic input so i need to make a nice back drop and setup some lighting . i made a few but they look kinda crappy so im working on it .

i probably wont be opening my 9xr for any reason soon but if i do i will make a quick video pointing out the important parts of the antenna mod i did take alot of pics when i did the mod so if you get stuck at some point let me know and i will post more pics if that will help !

its really easy and unlike alot of small electronics nothing POPS out when you open the 9xr and it goes back together really easy . just keep the screws in order and you will have no problems!

tip: draw a small picture of the back of your radio on paper , when you remove a screw stick it through the drawing in the same area you removed it from so it wont get mixed up with the others. the module has 4 screws all the same size so you dont need to worry about mixing them up .

thx rc brian nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippan View Post
Please do a video tutorial about the antenna mod, and tips on soldering.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
module button and led

the buttons and led in the module are sitting on top of tall wire tabs so they get bent really easy . when putting the cover back on the module make sure to guide them through the three holes a sharp pin can get the "change id" button lined up if its off to one side once installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbester View Post

Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
127 Posts
Does hobbyking have a replacement antenna for this mod?
Komm_Klink is offline Find More Posts by Komm_Klink
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
i never checked?

i never even checked if HK sells parts but im sure they will have one for the 9xr or the 9x(same board as xr)

let us know if they have one !

thx rc brian nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komm_Klink View Post
Does hobbyking have a replacement antenna for this mod?