HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:34 AM
Italy, Marche, Fermo
Joined Jan 2009
37 Posts
Ciao Chris, just to clarifying!!
The wings of your Graecalis are covered with Toulipier veneer. At first I told you we used Tanganyka, then we decided to use Toulipier 0,6mm. I used both but I prefer toulipier, it's stronger than Tanganyika
Ciao
Stefano

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Board Express
ercolizzato is offline Find More Posts by ercolizzato
Last edited by ercolizzato; Aug 29, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:25 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedofdread View Post
What's the stuff the ready made Tangent sailplanes are covered in? Is that vinyl or one of the Ora products?
Tangent have definitely used a self-adhesive vinyl: I remember seeing a whole tutorial photographed in their factory as to how they do it. The one thing that stuck in my mind is cleanliness: the place was like an operating theater!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:27 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolizzato View Post
Ciao Chris, just to clarifying!!
The wings of your Graecalis are covered with Toulipier veneer. At first I told you we used Tanganyka, then we decided to use Toulipier 0,6mm. I used both but I prefer toulipier, it's stronger than Tanganyika
Ciao
Stefano

That's interesting Stefano!

"The toulipier is a wood that is made ​​from the trunks of Liriodendron tulipifera , tree coming from the central eastern part of the United States . Its name comes from the French and comes from its flowers, like tulips in color yellow .
Being a tree that grows tall and straight provides the timber with its handling characteristics, stability, and specific weight (480 kg / m³ dried) make it suitable for a large number of applications. Pale in color, grain evident with flaming dark or greenish and tender texture. It is particularly appreciated, as well as for the cost, the excellent response to treatments with paints, and stains, when it is dyed to resemble wood walnut ."
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:32 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolizzato View Post
hello Dean
the vinyl cover is not shrinkable; so it could be difficult to apply on the wings with more taperings.
the problem could be the wrinkles!!!!
Ciao
Stefano
There is some shrinkage possible with sign vinyl with very careful application of gentle heat. Too hot and your'e screwed (don't ask me how I know ).

I must try and find a picture I saw of a guy covering a wing with "car wrap" vinyl. He was heat-shrinking it a LOT around the wing tip. I wonder if car wrap is different stuff again?

Chris
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:06 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,907 Posts
Sorry Chris, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:16 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Not at all Dean! It's all on topic IMO !

BTW I've been doing some reading up on car-wrap vinyl, and there certainly seem to be some interesting possibilities there. Seems they have air channels built in on the adhesive side to get rid of air as you work (to prevent bubbles), and it responds to hot air very well. Goes around complex shapes too. Not sure how heavy it is...

Chris
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:30 AM
Shropshire
Joined Jan 2005
474 Posts
Or how its going to work in lower temperatures
Andy_b is offline Find More Posts by Andy_b
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:07 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Apologies for getting the spelling wrong: I have edited most of the errors in this thread. It's "Graecalis" ...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:44 PM
Italy, Marche, Fermo
Joined Jan 2009
37 Posts
Ohhh guys........GRAECALIS is GRAECALIS!!!NO Greacalis of Gricalis as sometimes I read!!! You can not image how many time I spent to find this name.
In the same time I can't image how many mistakes I do with my English.......I know the Italians are often a joke

ercolizzato is offline Find More Posts by ercolizzato
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Just a thought Chris, have you tried it in the car yet cos it's a bit of a big bugga. Had to take my Fox along when I bought a car 2 months back, the guys face was a picture when I told him " if the plane don't fit, I don't buy the car". The look of relief on his face when I closed the boot-lid with-out a crunch.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
@ Stefano: Lol. I can just imagine how you must cringe every time you see this spelled wrong! I built a house in S Africa that is in a street called Caesar Close, and NO ONE EVER GET'S IT RIGHT!!!!!! . Ceasar, Ceaser, I've seen it all...

Chris
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:59 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonslim View Post
Just a thought Chris, have you tried it in the car yet cos it's a bit of a big bugga. Had to take my Fox along when I bought a car 2 months back, the guys face was a picture when I told him " if the plane don't fit, I don't buy the car". The look of relief on his face when I closed the boot-lid with-out a crunch.
Err, have I tried it? Um, no ....

I know what you mean, when I was windsurfing I took some gear along when I bought a new car for the same reason. So, I have been buying cars to suit my hobbies for many decades now. I have a mid-size (in the US or Oz, read that as "tiny") SUV now for that reason, so should be OK !

The rudder of the Graecalis also comes off for transport.

It's an interesting point though. I was looking at a fantastic video of a RC meeting in Germany recently, and I kept on thinking "how on earth do those guys transport those huge planes?". From Jets to WWI biplanes, they are all HUGE. Does everyone have a trailer, or drive a van?

(Have a look at this video: the production values are very high, well worth a watch):
Wings Of Men - Euroflugtagfilm 2013 - official version (18 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Aug 30, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:40 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Wonderful job Chris! I can't believe you are going to have to launch that yourself for the maiden. Can't wait to see it soar!

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:54 AM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
That really looks great Chris

I'm sure she'll fly straight and true, and excellent in your hands!

Can't wait for the video

Justin
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
Old Aug 31, 2013, 05:49 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Thanks guys!

I think I may be lobbing 9 months of hard work off a mountain today ...

Chris
who should take up stamp collecting