HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:25 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Build Log
The Italian Job: Graecalis aerobatic glider

I am a lucky recipient of one of the first (I think it may be THE first) "craft kits" of this model to be built (and hopefully flown) outside of Italy, so I thought a build thread may be warranted.

So, some background: a group of Italian enthusiasts by the names of Giammarco, Stefano, Michele and Gianni decided to design and build a new aerobatic machine with a wingspan of just under 4 m. The design brief was to go for a look that was a bit different to current models, and, of course, great performance.

To this latter end, a dedicated airfoil was designed for this project by Claudio Becchetti, he calls this foil "BEX 1809". Even though I'm no expert on foil design, I do know that the foil is key to a gliders' performance. Claudio emailed me this explanation: "an evolution of the famous RG15. Camber 1.8 to 48%, and thickness 9% to 28%. The RG has the least resistance to the natural profile but worsens with negative flap. The profile that I obtained, as well as more efficient RG, has a better performance in inverted flight, with the advantage of being able to decrease the resistance with very -2 ° of flaps allowing an acceleration that the RG does not have." That was enough to convince me !

Specs are:

wingspan: 380cm
fuselage length: 209cm
wing loading: 90g/dm2
weight: 8,5kg

You may notice that is one HUGE fuz ! I fell in love with the design of particularly the fuz, as it has a graceful curved underside, and a spectacular canopy that goes all the way back to the wing joiner position. The tailfeathers are a bit different to the norm in that, instead of the rather ubiquitous all-moving elevator with a cut-out for the rudder, the curvy rudder is instead given a prominent cut out to allow for the elevator on the fixed tailplane to move. More curves there than Sophia Loren (am I showing my age ?)!

The initial steps of manufacturing my model in Italy (and more background) can be seen here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=greacali. For even more background, have a look here: http://www.voloinpendio.it/ .

My building always takes forever, so this isn't going to be finished soon, but I thought I had better start getting the photos that I have taken so far published...

Hope it'll prove interesting !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Rowland Heights
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
That's a real beauty Chris! I'm looking forward to hearing more and seeing some great photos of her on your Irish slopes.
_Rick R_ is offline Find More Posts by _Rick R_
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Awesome! Subscribed

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Thanks !

The name is apparently that of a wind (NW) in Italy.

Here are some of the original graphics:
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Whooo hooo!! I've been waitin for this!....
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
The serious stuff started with the arrival of the biggest darn box I've ever received!

The "craft kit" consists of the main components only: Fiberglass fuselage (not "finish painted" in the mold: you are expected to finish and paint the fuz yourself); wings, rudder and tailplane in foam with "Tanganyika" timber veneer, clear canopy; canopy base; some fuz reinforcing formers, and a rudder top piece (more on the rudder later). I had the control surfaces hinged with peelply: there are various options you can ask for. The surfaces were all cut and ready to rock 'n roll.

The foam /veneer canopy base supplied to me has now been superseded with a moulded 'glass base incorporating a "seat" and "instrument panel" bumps. One is on it's way to me...

I elected (after advice from Giammarco and Stefano) to go for a wing joiner system consisting of two traditional standard brass boxes and steel blades. These were sourced in Italy and supplied for me for extra. I could have opted for round steel or carbon joiners instead. The wings come with timber cassettes installed to receive the brass boxes. These are already tied into the main spars.

There is no wing fairing on the fuz: I will have to match the wing roots to the fuz in due course.

Chris
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,564 Posts
Wow, just wow (once again) Chris. This is going to be great and I'm really looking forward to watching this progress!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Last edited by robh; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,036 Posts
Hi Chris,
This looks super cool, Subscribed.
regards
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ASH30Mi Finally maidened
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:58 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Hi Mike!

Of course, compared to your scratch-builds, this is a "ready to fly" kit ! For me it's a major mission ...

Chris
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:04 PM
Italy, Marche, Fermo
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
this is my graecalis

giammarco is offline Find More Posts by giammarco
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:00 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
My chosen colour scheme for the Graecalis is a Red Bull skeme. Sadly, after buying the decals already, I now see it's suddenly becoming hideously popular - oh well, should still look good I hope .

The photos are for illustration purposes only, and show a not-too-dissimilar model, the 3.7 m w/s Cornia Byphon, also of Italian design and manufacture (Giulio Cornia is a hugely productive designer and kit manufacturer: the Byphon can be bought as a full wood kit - built up with ply and balsa parts ; with a ‘glass fuz instead of wood; and even with a glass fuz and foam / veneer wings. Rumour also has it that a very well-known Italian manufacturer of fully-moulded models will be producing the Byphon as well. See: http://www.corniaaeromodelli.com/ .

I will not be doing the white bulls on the underside, just the lettering, and I think I will be adding blue tips to the tops of the wings...

Decals were designed and printed / cut by CallieGraphics : http://www.callie-graphics.com/index.php. Callie is a pleasure to work with.

Chris
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Chris,

Really cool lines and planform on this one. Cant wait to see the assembly process and your set ups on her. I love the BIG size too dude. Red Bull not so much but who cares. Your awesome slope is gonna produce some killer day(s) of flying this baby!

Eric
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Thanks Eric !

Chris
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Hey, Sophia Lauren is really popular, too, doesn't mean you have to admire her less, right?

Love those models by Cornia. Amazing all-wood craftsmanship!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Oops. Typo edited ...