HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2001, 12:03 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2001
80 Posts
Wattage Hawk mods

Hi all,

I got a good deal on a Hawk at my local store, so picked one up.

I've had several planes (most still fly ;-), including a Razor. I think I'm up to it.

I have the "aileron" version, should I do any mods?

I've heard I should reinforce the wing.

Is the stock motor good enough? Or should I use a speed 400?

Different prop? Reinforce cowl?

Thanks!

Mark
Marksl is offline Find More Posts by Marksl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2001, 09:43 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Yes put a spar in the wing!

Check out my Avatir to see my Twin EDF version -- 10x650 NiMh & KP44s w/Johnson 180 motors.

My favorite combo is a 3.75:1 Wattage GB, Sky Scooter folding prop, & 8x650 NiMh.

I've flow about 5 different propulsion systems in my Hawk.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Nov 27, 2001, 12:26 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,811 Posts
everyone ends up making some sort of modification to the air intake. if you cut it out like the innstructions say, it'll end up scooping up a lot of dirt on landings. some people have poked holes instead of cutting out the opening, but i just attached a nylon tail-dragger thingy to the fuselage under the air scoop, which keeps it from contacting the dirt on landings.

enjoy your hawk, it's a fun plane. the stock motor will give you plenty of speed. i ran it on 8 NiMHs.
Ben74 is online now Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Nov 27, 2001, 08:29 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2001
80 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I'm tempted to paint the fuse, maybe even just a "splatter" job, would like something more interesting.

I'll use a speed 400 (I take it the stock motor is not as good?) and perhaps later, a small gearbox. Or maybe a 010 brushless.

I have heard different things about adding dihedral (sure enough, I don't have any) what are the thoughts on that? What angle? I was thinking of perhaps 5-10 degrees at the edges of the wings.

Thanks,
Mark
Marksl is offline Find More Posts by Marksl
Old Nov 27, 2001, 08:58 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
actually the stock motor is a 7.2v speed 400 so put the spar in and try it stock. I have mine with a 6v s400 with a 5x3 prop (stock is a 5x2.5)and it really moves out just keep it light and upgrade from there.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Nov 28, 2001, 07:43 PM
Rochester Hills, MI
Joined Nov 2001
4 Posts
I have asked Santa for a Wattage Hawk, and I am wondering if it will fly acceptably on a 7 cell 500AR pack. Or does it need something lighter?

I have some 720 mAH 8 cell NiMh packs that would be good but they did not hold up well on another plane that used a 7.2V S400 and the Gunther prop. I also have some 7 cell 250 mAH NiCd packs, but I suspect they will not fly very long.
paulgoelz is offline Find More Posts by paulgoelz
Old Nov 28, 2001, 09:29 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
I use a 7 cell 600ae and the 720 MAH 8 cell NIMH and in the hawk being such a low drag plane the flight times are longer than other planes I've flown on these same packs. actually the 720 MAH 8 cell NIMH is the pack most use in the Hawk. So an answer to your question is that both the packs you mention will be a good choice for the Hawk. Besides the package they offer comes with a 6 cell pack and any higher cell counts just make it a better performer.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Nov 29, 2001, 08:39 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Hi Paul,

How's the Piccolo doing?

Yes the Gunther would load up the NiMh too much.

The stock prop w/Hawk is a 5x2.5 and matches very well with 7x or 8x NiMh AAAs.

Suggest that you put a spar in the wing I use 1/8" x 1/2" spruce, tapered from one side, with the flat being the top. Don't remember the dimensions, I'll check tonight at home.

Do the ailerons.

Don't cut out the scoop in the bottom!

Have fun with it!

Jim Blanner jrb at catpumps . com
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb