244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
It is the weight for sure. The little orange plane is 20" and weights
10g. It is just tissue, no finish. I really don't think you need the
poly at all. Take the tissue off and recover, then just shrink it with
water and see
how it does.
Oh wow, yeah just my wings weigh that much. I also see from your pic that its only covered on the top. The plans say to cover top and bottom. But i bet the under-camber helps more than as-designed flat bottom. So it seems the key here is knowing how/when to deviate from the instructions

Your wing saddle is also going to be a lot lighter than the designed solid/sandwitch one. I took some pics of he unfinshed parts and weights. The wing saddle weighs as much as both wing halfs I'll post the pics as soon as I can get them off my phone.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
razortoe is offline Find More Posts by razortoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 12:24 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,468 Posts
Its not as updated for more modern materials like polycrylic but it covers the timeless basics very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Powered...pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:08 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
Its not as updated for more modern materials like polycrylic but it covers the timeless basics very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Powered...pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Mike
Haha, I was ---> <--- close to buying that book last night Instead I got this one:

Building & Flying Indoor Model Airplanes (A Necessary Equipment Book)
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:16 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
It is the weight for sure. The little orange plane is 20" and weights 10g. It is just tissue, no finish. I really don't think you need the
poly at all. Take the tissue off and recover, then just shrink it with water and see
how it does.
I agree, I think this is the way to go. The tissue is so easy to replace, I'm not worried about it getting torn/damaged on this design. Once my blue tissue arrives, my daughter and I will cover just one side of all surfaces (including wings), water-shrink it, and leave it at that. I may cut some wood from the wing-saddle though since it seems way to heavy as-designed.

Here's our work so far...
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:36 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Weight so far

Total is 21.75g all together (minus covering). Fully half of the weight is in the prop. + rubber (supplied with the kit). Presumably you're 10g model then is w/o the rubber(?) If not, I'd love some of that gosh-darn magic feather-light rubber you got

I'll bet I can shave at least a gram off of the wing-saddle, and the supplied rubber is about 1/3 too long. Assuming I don't add more than a gram or two of tissue, then I'd be in the ballpark of yours (and almost 20% lighter then my first attempt).

However, I won't be held responsible for any current or future glue-weight. That's all the jurisdiction of a certain 6-year old trying (very hard) to put one small drop on each joint
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:37 PM
fix-n-fly
Allen, TX
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
Here you go - the rubber-power squirrel. This is a great free-flight airplane and easy to build. All you need is some craft glue http://www.rubber-power.com/ . You have to order from the manufacturer in Canada, but it is worth it and the support is incredible.
fix-n-fly is offline Find More Posts by fix-n-fly
Old Apr 09, 2013, 07:51 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,438 Posts
Yes, I weighed it without the rubbers. The ribs are 1/32.

Just checked, add 6g.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:42 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fix-n-fly View Post
Here you go - the rubber-power squirrel. This is a great free-flight airplane and easy to build. All you need is some craft glue http://www.rubber-power.com/ . You have to order from the manufacturer in Canada, but it is worth it and the support is incredible.
Aww wow, those are cool! Much simpler than then the SkySunny.

Maybe they'll be our next build, no way I could convince her to switch to the SkySquirrel over the SkyBunny, she's already decided how to 'decorate' it

The price isnt bad, you just have to order a few for friends to make the shipping charge less of a burden

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:50 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I weighed it without the rubbers. The ribs are 1/32.

Just checked, add 6g.
Ohh, okay that makes more sense. Yeah, as designed it must be overbuilt. I'm amazed at how much we need to not follow the plans and not use he materials from the kit, haha. I would have thought he design would have been updatsd at some point! Still, it's all good fun and learning. I'm aweful glad i got 3 kits, it removes a lot of anxiety over experimentig and practice
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Rebuild and Wing-saddle lightening

I took my "learning" Skybunny and carefully stripped off all the tissue from the wings. I removed all the glue, and lightly sanded all surfaces clean. In an effort to cut the fat, I removed a big chunk (about 1g) from the center of wing-saddle (no pic, sorry).

The tail and stabilizer were, err, "damaged" in the tissue removal, but easy to rebuild both...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:23 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
New covering

I took the yellow tissue from my daughter's build (her's _MUST_ be blue and I ain't arguing), and glue-sticked it on. One-side only, and completely covering all edges around and onto the backside. Trimmed with #11, then re-pinned back onto the table for water-shrinking (prevents wood from warping).
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:26 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Weight

You can see the center-section I removed from the wing saddle. Other weights are much better with using only water and no finish on the tissue. I got a few small nicks/cuts which I repaired with really small bits of scotch-tape.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Success!

I lost the pic, but all together (minus rubber) I got 21.89g so quite a bit lighter and now with effectively an under-camber airfoil. These both made all the difference, as my daughter sent her bouncing into the sky while I tried to take pics

My new tissue pack just arrived, just in time for my daughter and I to finish hers. Not sure what to do with the third one yet, maybe we'll save it for spare-parts.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,438 Posts
Just a drop of white glue in a couple table spoons of water and
you can do a tissue repair that barely shows. Just cut a patch
and lay it on and brush on a lite coat of the "glue" Let it dry and
bingo.

You do know, that when that plane she helped build lifted off the
ground and flew, your life is changed forever. I see a 1/3 scale
scratch built Extra in your future.

BTW, you need to sign her up here.

Flyingbunny.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Apr 14, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,867 Posts
Daughters that are fascinated with building models, etc., are few and far between. The experiences building and flying models will last her and you a lifetime. It's fun getting old books from the public library on building model planes, boats, kites, etc. Old cub scout manuals have cool simple craft projects like crystal set radios, simple electric motors, gliders and rubber powered free flight planes.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged