HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2004, 11:53 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
LiPo Battery Connector Safety Tip

In the process of upgrading all my park flyers to LiPo and Dean's Micro plugs I decided to protect the battery plugs from accidental shorts. For so little cost it seemed prudent to do this. The Deans instructions say to solder the battery + to the male pin and the - to the female pin. The procedure is reversed for the charger and battery connector to the ESC.

The picture below shows how I protected the plug from an accidental short. The short can only occur if some metal (such as a "t" pin) connects the male end of the battery plug to the female end. DC does not short to ground, only to the - pin. Don't ask how I know this.

The battery on the right is wired as to Dean's specs and shows the female pin exposed. The battery on the left shows the protective plug I attached to eliminate the exposed female pin.

The Deans plugs on the bottom show how the protective plug was created. The left most plug is the standard Deans polarized plug. I pulled the left (or male) pin from the back of the plug using needle nosed pliers (second from left). The fourth from the left plug is turned around and shows how I clipped the solder pin and ground smooth to the housing. The plug third from the left is the completed plug and shows the female pin that fits over the battery male end creating a plug that cannot accidentaly be shorted.

May all of your LiPos be safe and away from the Dark side.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Last edited by no stick; Feb 27, 2004 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2004, 01:07 PM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
636 Posts
I use a similar method.

I have standardised on 2mm and 4mm connectors and use a piece of the outer of some cable insultation that makes a tight fit on the pin.

I also add an arrow, to show if the pack is charged or not.
Arrow into the pack - needs charging
Arrow out of the pacl - charged

Hopefully should stop me putting a discharged pack in a plane

Paul
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
Old Jan 06, 2004, 02:59 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
All are excellent ideas. I also felt that it was important to provide protection to the connectors. My answer was to purchase a pack of 6 Vinyl vacum caps that slide over the ends of the Deans Mini R connectors. Quite a bit less expensive then cutting a connector to make a cover but should prove to be just as effective. Your local auto parts store should carry these as stock. Here is the numbers that I found on the package. #47507, 1/4 inch Red. Qty:6. Brand name VACU-TITE! Cost was $1.95. I would send along a picture but I think everyone knows what they look like. I will send a picture if it is requested. Gud Flying........Dick
Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dick
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:10 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
post a picture of the vacu tite plugs please? me = newbie to electrical plugs until e-flight caught my interest... i'm sure i should know about these already Are they just mallible rubber caps?
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Jan 06, 2004, 06:53 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
LI PO CONNECTOR PROTECTION

Here is a picture of several of them and how I use them. They are mallible plastic caps. By the way I know that there are many sizes of these caps at least up to one inch or so but I do not know a quick source for them. I hope that I can get the picture to attach, if not I will continue to try as I did so about a year ago but can't remember exactly how. I have dropped the resolution to 640 x 480. Sorry I just cannot seem to master the way to add the picture.
Last edited by Dick; Jan 06, 2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:17 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
it hates you... don't worry, it hates me too do you know of a website selling them?
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
Sorry headless, you have a great sense of humor, but they should be available at any Auto Parts Store. I am sure that if you were just to go in and ask for vacum line plugs they would lead you to them or bring out a box full of various sizes and colors. I also was able to get many other sizes in the old working days as I made calls on industrial electronic paint shops. They use them on many items and threads etc. to mask for painting. If I had only known, as they say, I could have obtained hundreds.....too late now. Maybe some one will take pity on me and clue me in on how to add pictures to my posts. Gud Flying......Dick
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:13 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
How to attach a pic:

See the pic I've attached.
1. Post a Reply as usual.
2. Near the bottom, Near the "Attach" choose "Browse" (select the file/pic you want). Be sure to observe the cautions regarding "vailid file types jpg, bmp, txt, zip,"... And there is a size limit. If the pic is deemed too big youo'll need to make it smaller. Note that jpg pics are smaller than bmp pics.
3. Type in any text as you usually do when posting. (Can do this before or after attaching the pic.)
4.When you're ready to go, select "Submit Reply" Do not choose "Preview Reply" or it'll lose what you've attached.

Be patient -a pic is a lot of bytes to transfer from your PC to the Internet

-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:37 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
See how I manage to connect my LiPos.

I use terminal connectors cut in elements of different sizes and then combine the batteries.

All of my batteries have this velcro strips on both sides, one is hairy and the other flat so I can stick them one another or to some other surface in several dispositions.
inedesca is offline Find More Posts by inedesca
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:40 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Another photo
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:41 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Another
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:42 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Another....
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:43 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
Thank you Mike! Here goes I sure appreciate your taking the time to make it so clear. I have printed it down for future reference should I forget the steps......Gud Flying .........Dick
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:44 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Another . . .
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:46 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Yet another