HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:02 AM
Bookham, Surrey, UK
Joined Jan 2004
107 Posts
Question
Brushless Zagi

Hi

My first post! - Whilst I have searched and found masses of info I have not yet found any details/suggestions as to how a brushless motor can be fitted to a Zagi.

I'm considering fitting the Typhoon 15, which has had rave reviews recently, into a Zagi (actually a 480 Si) but with the rotating body I'm not too sure how to go about it without sticking the whole motor on the back and therefore shifting even more weight to the rear requiring additional ballast.

So, suggestions, details and photos if possible.

Thanks

Graham
gdavey is offline Find More Posts by gdavey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:17 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,455 Posts
Hi Graham,

Welcome to the RC Groups forums!

I'm just wondering if your biggest worry in using the Typhoon 15 might lie in the size of prop required. Don't these motors call for a 9"+ prop diameter? Or are you considering a tiny prop on 10 cells?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:26 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Hello Grahm and welcome,

Have you looked at the Mega brushless? We've flown a Mega 3 turn on one of our SpeedWing 400's and get about 110 MPH out of it only pulling about 1/2 the amps it can be setup for.

Also, Don Sims (other moderator here) is ecstatic about his Mega powered Devastator. Good motors. Take a look if you haven't already.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:39 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
I got a mega for my Devastator, maiden will be this weekend. They are a direct replacement for a 400 size brushed motor.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Jan 06, 2004, 12:17 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,897 Posts
I fly a b/l Zagi, it's a Zagi480 convert (reduced wingspan, c/f spar, SAS Viper winglets). It's powered by a Kontronik400-23 and various props from 4.7" thru 6". I mostly use 10 cell CP1300 packs (sounds awesome), sometimes 8 cell.

This is a wicked little plane, I'd be happy if it were my only one !

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 06, 2004, 01:03 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
364 Posts
I use Kontronik 400 fun-23 on Zagi 400 on Zagi 400. Using 5 to 6 inch prop runing 10 Kan Cell pack. Full throttle is way too fast for this wing. It will flop at high speed. (Center of the wing flops up and down violently). I have several carbon fibre rods put into the wing, but still doesn't help. I think the wing cord is too thick for fast speed flying.
Is Zagi 480 much different from Zagi 400?

Pin
Caveman is offline Find More Posts by Caveman
Old Jan 06, 2004, 01:26 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,897 Posts
Pin,
I only have a single 6mm Carbon spar across the wing (bottom) in a straight line from L/E to L/E (the 480 is EPP L/E) approximately at the CoG. Also, I took 5" off each wingtip which might help.

Adam
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:49 PM
Blackpool England
Joined Dec 2003
112 Posts
Well stick a mega 16/15/4 in with a 6 inch prop, run 8 cell 1200 and get 15 mins of fast paced fun

This is the setup I use and it rocks.

Check out the vids at

www.zagi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
ricktkenny is offline Find More Posts by ricktkenny
Old Jan 06, 2004, 05:10 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
bah!

Drat.

Phft..phft.. curses!

I went to the lhs and asked for a Mega 16/15/3 for my Jazz Extreme and they were out. They talked me into an Astro 020 DD. I have yet to try the Astro - but it sounds like the Mega is what I should have gone with.

I'll give the Jazz/Astro a try this weekend - hopefully I won't be dissapointed.

TRP
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Jan 06, 2004, 05:44 PM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
the Astro is betwen the Mega 3 and 4 as far as RPM/volt but I think it is a little heavier. I don't think you will be disappointed.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Jan 09, 2004, 06:33 AM
Bookham, Surrey, UK
Joined Jan 2004
107 Posts
Thanks for responses.

Tim – I was thinking of modifying the back to suit a larger prop than I am used to but it will not be a 9”! My current Zagi has a 480 can which I have shifted forward to get correct C of G without ballast – see picture.

What is the relevance of your statement re tiny prop on 10 cells? I was anticipating using 7 or 8 (more likely) cells. Does the higher voltage give you enough additional revs to offset the tiny prop and the extra weight of the batteries?

Thanks for the suggestions of other brushless motors but my only reason for considering the Typhoon was cost. Total cost of motor incl controller is around £90 which is as much as I am willing to spend initially.

Rick – I’ve looked at your site and you appear to have a tiewrap around your motor. All the brushless motors I’ve looked at have a rotating body with fixed end plates – is the Mega different in that respect? What sort of cost is it and where do you get them from?

Adam – Close up piccie of motor with housing removed would be helpful.

My basic question still remains – details/suggestions for fixing brushless (rotating body) to Zagi? Are you out there Viper2000?

Graham
Old Jan 09, 2004, 06:39 AM
Bookham, Surrey, UK
Joined Jan 2004
107 Posts
I have also cut finger holes (1 thumb hole, 2 finger slots) in the bottom to make launching very easy!! ie like a normal model.

None of these wacky launch techniques for me!

Graham
Old Jan 09, 2004, 06:42 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,897 Posts
The 'pizza box' throw is a doddle, but I guess an overpowered Zagi would always make it seem easy ?

The Kontronik is a straight replacement for a 400, so my 400-23 just slots in the same place with a cable tie-wrap around it. The ESC fits underneath it between the plastic fuselage section and the foam. I can post a pic if you really want it, but it's dull

Adam
Last edited by Ginger Adam; Jan 09, 2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2004, 07:19 AM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ginger Adam
The 'pizza box' throw is a doddle, Adam
What is a doddle?
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Jan 09, 2004, 07:49 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Go to the video section of http://plawner.net/ to see a brushless zagi in flight.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner