HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2004
72 Posts
Stiff Pushrods - Alfa Model

Hi - I need some advice from any Alfa pro's out there. I treated myself to a P51 for Christmas and am concerned by how stiff the aileron pushrods are. I have already taken out the inner wire and applied some 3in1 oil but it hasn't made a great difference.

I am using a Saturn Feather 6.2 servo (1.1 kg/cm) and you can hear it straining as it gets to the end of its throw. Should I be unduly concerned and if so any suggestions how to loosen things up.

Thanks in advance

Busta
Busta Prop is offline Find More Posts by Busta Prop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2004, 11:17 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I used a GWS Naro HP BB (1.7 kg/cm) and the servo still strains. It's a 10 gram servo so your servo seems a little lightweight. If you are really worried about it, get a heavier duty servo.

Alfa recommends a servo with a minimum of 1.5 kg/cm don't they?
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
72 Posts
Yep - for peace of mind I'll take your advice and go with a bigger servo. Its irritating as I was advised to go with the Feather by my local model shop who are normally spot on with advice.

Thanks

Busta
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
You may also spend a little time flexing the ailerons by hand many times to break in the hinge as well. I use a HS55 and it has 15oz torque and has never been a problem in my Alfa planes.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:37 AM
BLACK SHEEP 2
Alexandria, VA
Joined May 2004
340 Posts
Hey, Alfa P-51 Ace mechanics,

I'm putting together my Mustang now. While my servo is working the aeilerons fine, the GWS Naro servo is wiggling back and forth in it's slot in the wing. When it moves, the aeileron's travel is not using the full power of the servo, nor are the aeilerons traveling with consistancy.

How do I secure a Naro servo into that slot? There is about 1/8" left open on one side, which I tried to plug with a wedge of balsa, but it still moves a lot. The "edge" of the wing slot that the servo uses to push against is as thin as the wing skin.

Do I need to build some kind of balsa cage that is glued to the inside wing?

I know they say to glue the servo in place, but then you can't rotate the servo out to access the servo arm screw for adjusting the aeileron rods.

Thanks for any help.

Michael
captglover is offline Find More Posts by captglover
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2004
72 Posts
Michael - Don't worry about gluing that servo in place. You'll enjoy flying that Mustang so much you will never need to remove it. You want that servo at roughly a 60 degree angle which will allow access to that screw. I avoided gluing the base of the servo and simply glued 2 small strips of wood either side of base (snug fit) I then added a drop of epoxy either side of the servo where it stuck out the top of the wing. If need be I can always remove the servo with the aid of a scalpel.

Good luck

Busta

P.S. What motor are you planning to use?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 08:01 PM
BLACK SHEEP 2
Alexandria, VA
Joined May 2004
340 Posts
Thanks, Busta,

I've got a Red MP Jet Outrunner BL, with a TP 2S 2100. I now need to figure which prop.

Cheers,

Michael
Old Nov 24, 2004, 08:25 PM
It'll work this time!
Deep in the heart of Texas
Joined May 2003
733 Posts
Try the APC 9x6 Slowflyer Prop on 2S. I think you'll like it.

Good luck,
Chris

(I use GWS naro on my ailerons, too. Work just fine.)

* or in Yoda-speak, "Speak English, I can..."
The Commodore is offline Find More Posts by The Commodore
Last edited by The Commodore; Nov 25, 2004 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Commenting on my poor english usage here.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:42 PM
BLACK SHEEP 2
Alexandria, VA
Joined May 2004
340 Posts
Thanks Guys!

Michael