HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jack_LaLanne, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:04 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Joined Feb 2009
776 Posts
Build Log
Turnigy 9XR radio and Rangelink transmitter Connection

I received a lot of new stuff including a Turnigy 9XR R/C radio and a rangelink long range system (LRS). The creation of a cable was needed to connect the two:
The 9XR pinout on the module port matches standard JR configuration. Top to bottom: PPM signal, +6V, +BATtery, GrouND, ANTenna (fig. 1).
The Rangelink transmitter must be provided with PPM, BAT and GND. The three pins are not in direct vicinity on the 9Xr end due to the JR configuration. So a servo connector with 3 terminals cannot be used. Since no spare 4 pin connector was available, a novel connector was created from two pre-wired JST plugs (default plug type on some low discharge battery packs). Removing one of the pins and its wires so that the +6V pin on the 9XR module port remained unused resulted in the needed configuration: PPM, none, +BAT, GND. The plugs were trimmed to match and glued together with CA. The wire terminals were soldered to the according wires on the Rangelink R/C transmitter connector providing a plug and play cable (fig 2).
The adapter with JST plug fits well on the rather long 9XR module pins, protecting them from shorts and avoiding unintential removal. The Rangelink transmitter was taped to the 9XR and the module slot was protected using fiber tape (fig 3 and 4).
Jack_LaLanne is online now Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jack_LaLanne; Mar 28, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
Jack you might want to look into something like this for your system. I have a 9XR and a Rangelink system and I can't wait to get my hands on one of theses.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:101766
auxiliarypower is offline Find More Posts by auxiliarypower