HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Skinny Pickle

Check out this customized airplane build!

Splash

The Plan

From RCGroups.com user G Norsworthy:

Following is a story of the attempt to build a customized airplane, just for me, just for the contests that I go to. In particular I was looking for something to fill the following needs:

Easy throwing. I get tired by the end of a two day contest and if I make the flyoffs I'm not in my best form. I want something that is easy on the arm for at least some of the rounds.

Good hang time. I can't throw as high as some of the top competitors. It is worse in the dead calm or light conditions. So I need something that is low drag on the throw and will camber up and float with the best. What comes to mind is the Cal Challenge, where there is frequently high humidity, low lift, or smooth laminar flow wind with minimal up and down motion. Or the JEM at Long Beach, with 3 days of Santa Ana winds at night, dead calm sunny days, and very light lift.

What I was willing to give up was the following:

Throw and go. XXL fills this part very well, but that is not what I was after. I have a Twister3 that will run as far as anything. With a bit of wind my launch does not suffer so much, and if there is any activity at all, it goes up just fine.

Turnaround and aerobatics. Not that I want a plane that handles poorly, but if I have to give up extreme throws to fit all the pieces inside a low drag frame, so be it.

Being experimental, construction was limited to bagged. All materials were considered. The labor on something like this is so high, no reason to quibble over $100 in materials. Airfoils were limited to anything that was published, and a few that are not. I'm not an aero designer, so any attempt in this area would most likely be a large investment in time for little or no return.

Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
go greg!
NorCal Hobbies is online now Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies