HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
Happy Flying
United States, TX, Dayton
Joined Nov 2002
34 Posts
Discussion
Trying to find a cheaper motor for 60" 3d flight

I am starting this thread in hopes to learn about some brushless motors and ESC combos. I currently have a few 60" aircraft and am running the Torque 4016/500 80amp 15x6 xoar prop setup and love it. Cost is always an issue and the constant struggle to reduce cost is always #1.

The questing is, Is there a "big bang for the buck" equal to the mighty Torque 4016/500

I challenge everyone to find the equal at half the cost.

Specs for the Torque 4016T/500 MKII are 292g 16/500 turn/kv 6mm shaft and 80 amp burst.

This is my 60" edge with this set up at a little over half throttle. She is a beaut.
mdtang is online now Find More Posts by mdtang
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mdtang; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:04 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtang View Post
I am starting this thread in hopes to learn about some brushless motors and ESC combos. I currently have a few 60" aircraft and am running the Torque 4016/500 80amp 15x6 xoar prop setup and love it. Cost is always an issue and the constant struggle to reduce cost is always #1.

The questing is, Is there a "big bang for the buck" equal to the mighty Torque 4016/500

I challenge everyone to find the equal at half the cost.

Specs for the Torque 4016T/500 MKII are 292g 16/500 turn/kv 6mm shaft and 80 amp burst.
I challenge YOU to do some searching on this very forum to find the answers to which you seek. Your question has been asked hundreds of times, and hundreds, if not thousands of answers, have been given.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Apr 2008
451 Posts
Or we could just answer him, with 5 posts since 2002 he isn't exactly clogging-up this forum.

On a 51" slick, I tried a Tacon from hobby parts, was cheap and ran great for a while until the magnets started hitting the rotor and had to scrap it. Has similar experiences with other "budget" motors, my opinion is that in the log-run the torque will pay for itself.
reelcoolfish is offline Find More Posts by reelcoolfish
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
Happy Flying
Joined Nov 2002
34 Posts
Thanks for your constructive criticism.cryhav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mdtang; Mar 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: .
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:51 AM
Happy Flying
Joined Nov 2002
34 Posts
SK far I have looked at the gen ace motors. They are close but if the magnets come loose then its not worth it. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
532 Posts
all round Hobby King setup for EF 60-in airplanes,

Turnisy Sk3 5045 450KV, 6S, Xoar 16X8
Plush 60A
Nanotech 6S 25C 3300
Corona 339HV servos

adaquate power for 3D, but not crazy power like the motrofly 4315. if you want more power get a HV ESC, the motor probably can handle 7S 15X8.
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Not what I was getting at. Wasn't trying to be a dick

He is challenging "us" to provide answers for him.

I challenge him to seek out information on his own.
Once he has researched several possible alternatives, he could then seek out advice and opinions based on those possible replacements.

Additionally, that plane has a thread of its own. within that thread, is a plethora of information pertaining to "alternative" setups.
Some equal in cost, some higher in cost, and certainly some much lower in cost.

For what its worth, I could point him to a vendor who sells that exact same motor for 1/2 the price, but I refrain from doing things like this anymore since it takes food out of the mouths of those who's living depends on the sale of their "brand"..if you understand what I am getting at.

Last edited by cryhavoc38; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:41 AM
Happy Flying
Joined Nov 2002
34 Posts
cryhavoc38.

The idea here is to get the latest of what is out there. That is all simply. I don't think your a "dick" at all. I understand the power of research. I have done plenty along the way to end up more confused.
Its kinda like going to the flying field with a plane and someone comes up and says, I have the same plane. What set up do you run.... I found a cheap way of getting the same results. it is this. That is what I am looking for.
VR Eyedoc put me on a cheap motor. It wont break the bank to try it so I just ordered one to see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtang View Post
cryhavoc38.

The idea here is to get the latest of what is out there. That is all simply. I don't think your a "dick" at all. I understand the power of research. I have done plenty along the way to end up more confused.
Its kinda like going to the flying field with a plane and someone comes up and says, I have the same plane. What set up do you run.... I found a cheap way of getting the same results. it is this. That is what I am looking for.
VR Eyedoc put me on a cheap motor. It wont break the bank to try it so I just ordered one to see.
yes, the sk3 is a very suitable motor.

Not sure about those servo's as I've had bad luck with Corona's.
I'd seek out some Savox servo's.

FYI, searching my userid from posts a couple/few years ago will show that I spent a great deal of time listing alternatives to more costly brands for motors, esc's and servo's. Others have done the same, and I do know of one who posted some very detailed information and is now banned. However, in doing research, I found out that the information I was providing was hurting some of our more beloved vendors, so I terminated my research into specific items. I still have a garage filled with very nice alternative motors and esc's and some servo's that I purchased for testing and comparisons. Some poor, some really great. But I don't publish that info anymore.

When you get an email from a vendor, letting you know that "your" research has the potential to negatively impact his ability to pay his employees and take care of his family..it puts it into serious perspective.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:57 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
There really is no greater bang for the buck than the mkii and air boss combo. You could go with a cheaper motor but as you found out there is that nagging doubt of a lose magnet, a poor bearing, or a cold solder joint. my sk3 had all of those.

Now I only run torque or motrofly. Motrofly are great for custom winds.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
There really is no greater bang for the buck than the mkii and air boss combo. You could go with a cheaper motor but as you found out there is that nagging doubt of a lose magnet, a poor bearing, or a cold solder joint. my sk3 had all of those.

Now I only run torque or motrofly. Motrofly are great for custom winds.

I have yet had a need for a custom wind, but some of my flying pals have utilized this service and I think its great that Ken will do this for his customers!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I'm running 600kv 13x7 5s on three of my 48's. With a 2200 pack I get about 8min flight times in my 3d planes. I've also got a 750kv 4s on13x7 and it doesn't accelerate like the lower 5s setups.

But ken is the man and delivers a top notch motor and will fix up your broken motors for a small fee. Heck when I was having problems with some bearings on my sk3 he fixed them and also trued the prop adapter as it was out.

He takes pride in his work and you can tell.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,562 Posts
Mile High RC 4260-6 500kv - $38.63. 280 grams.

Heads Up Hobby Firepower 60 (5055-06 580kv) - $43.95. 286 grams.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:10 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_600kv.html

The Turnigy L line of motors is pretty good; and, it comes in three kv's.

Also, this one http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-E-185.htm looks pretty good; and, notice it comes with an 8mm shaft.

Hope this helps.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
I was using the Torque 4016T/500 MKII in my 65" Vyper while I was waiting for the new MXS to arrive. When it did, I put a Leopard 5055-9T 460kv from Altitude Hobbies in.

Its not bad. It was a straight swap out. Used the same prop and everything else. Noticed it was not quite the same power as the Torque on TO but not too bad overall. I had to carry a bit more than 1/8 to a 1/4 throttle more to do the same maneuvers as the Torque and had enough power to do a nice KE loop.

When the time went off with the Torque, and the battery low, I could do a hover and maybe have enough power to barely climb up. With the Leopard, it started a very small slide down.

So, it might be what your're looking for.

Oh yeah,,used 6s and 15x8 APC
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Last edited by stanordave; Mar 26, 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: [PS I fly at 4200' MSL]