HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:28 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Discussion
FPV in moon surface

This is my main goal. Do not die until I made at least one FPV flight in our moon surface.

Is it possible (plausibly) for a hobbyist to achieve it combining currently cheap available technology?
flyboygaac is online now Find More Posts by flyboygaac
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
This is my main goal. Do not die until I made at least one FPV flight in our moon surface.

Is it possible (plausibly) for a hobbyist to achieve it combining currently cheap available technology?
You plan to fly a model to the moon?
cody069 is offline Find More Posts by cody069
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:06 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
That is the plan ballon+rocket+thrusters+multicopter gyro stabilization+communications+navigation+solar power

The return trip is not mandatory, but interesting to think about its possibility.

This is the plan, but I cannot do it alone because I need help in communications and navigation in space.
All other tasks seems doable with available resources.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:08 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
Baaaaaaaaaahaaaaahaaahaaahahahahahahaha!!

Oh, did I mention...Baaaaaaaaaahaaaaahaaahaaahahahahahahaha! !
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Quote:
That is the plan ballon+rocket+thrusters+multicopter gyro stabilization+communications+navigation+solar power

The return trip is not mandatory, but interesting to think about its possibility.

This is the plan, but I cannot do it alone because I need help in communications and navigation in space.
All other tasks seems doable with available resources.
You reliase that a prop needs air to move for thrust... No air on the moon
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:18 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,910 Posts
The highest hobbyists have been able to go is via weather balloons but when those things pop, you're still going into free fall, even then your model has to weigh almost nothing. The only way to get a decent payload into space is via spaceship one, and those tickets aren't exactly cheap.

Assuming that you've somehow gotten into space, you still have to calculate a ballistic trajectory (You're still affected by gravity even tho it's faint) compensating for the earths speed (100,000kph orbit around the sun), and has to hit a target that's moving 3,600kph around the earth. To make it there in 30 days, your model will have to launch with an initial velocity of at least 550kph, and since no rocket engine is that precise, you will have to continuously add corrections along the journey while conserving propellant.

If you're insanely lucky, you'll make it to the moon, and then use up the rest of your propellant slowing down at the last second (good thing there are no humans on board, the g forces would pancake them), you will now be on the moon...

Question: Is a drone enough of a physical presence to make a land claim? That might make enough motivation for a bunch of RC enthusiasts to pool together and fund such a mission.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:21 AM
Grasshopper
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
FPV on the moon is pretty much what the Google Lunar X Prize is about:
  1. Get to the moon
  2. Explore (move) at least 500 meters
  3. Send back HD video and images
  4. Get $30 million from Google
Zagor is offline Find More Posts by Zagor
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:21 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
967 Posts
Quote:

You can do it.
Keep us posted....
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:22 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody069 View Post
You reliase that a prop needs air to move for thrust... No air on the moon
No prop mentioned. Thrusters. Low mass low energy required.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Quote:
No prop mentioned. Thrusters. Low mass low energy required.
Ok... Mis read
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:32 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
The highest hobbyists have been able to go is via weather balloons but when those things pop, you're still going into free fall, even then your model has to weigh almost nothing. The only way to get a decent payload into space is via spaceship one, and those tickets aren't exactly cheap.

Assuming that you've somehow gotten into space, you still have to calculate a ballistic trajectory (You're still affected by gravity even tho it's faint) compensating for the earths speed (100,000kph orbit around the sun), and has to hit a target that's moving 3,600kph around the earth. To make it there in 30 days, your model will have to launch with an initial velocity of at least 550kph, and since no rocket engine is that precise, you will have to continuously add corrections along the journey while conserving propellant.

If you're insanely lucky, you'll make it to the moon, and then use up the rest of your propellant slowing down at the last second (good thing there are no humans on board, the g forces would pancake them), you will now be on the moon...

Question: Is a drone enough of a physical presence to make a land claim? That might make enough motivation for a bunch of RC enthusiasts to pool together and fund such a mission.
Good points
I retained:
- after ballon starts the rockets
- the only payload intended to take is video camera for live feed, no humans, oxygen supply, no scientific experiments.
- trajectory is navigation+communications we're I hope tho get external help
- luck is always needed, no humans, so G forces can be extreme
- if someone's finances it instead of my pocket I gladly send a led banner, that remotely uploads advertising, sold to the highest bidder. If this mission works I will send a bunch of this models to build one extra large led screen on moon, solar powered.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:36 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Good points
I retained:
- after ballon starts the rockets
- the only payload intended to take is video camera for live feed, no humans, oxygen supply, no scientific experiments.
- trajectory is navigation+communications we're I hope tho get external help
- luck is always needed, no humans, so G forces can be extreme
- if someone's finances it instead of my pocket I gladly send a led banner, that remotely uploads advertising, sold to the highest bidder. If this mission works I will send a bunch of this models to build one extra large led screen on moon, solar powered.
I think this would be almost impossible to do.. If teams spending large $$$$$ can't do it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Grasshopper
Joined Feb 2013
131 Posts
A balloon does not help you much. The altitude you gain is only marginal compared to the vast distance you need to travel, and a balloon does not help with attaining the escape velocity you need to climb out of earth's gravity well. For that you need a big rocket.

The Google Lunar X Prize has 33 registered teams. All teams have very experienced people on board, include some who have actually sent stuff to the moon before. All teams have multi-mullion dollar budgets. Going to the moon is neither easy nor cheap. Google wouldn't offer you $30M if it was.

It is a very interesting topic though, and I encourage you to read up on it. Unfortunately, it is also very much out of reach for hobbyists, even very determined hobbyists.
Zagor is offline Find More Posts by Zagor
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
FPV on the moon is pretty much what the Google Lunar X Prize is about:
  1. Get to the moon
  2. Explore (move) at least 500 meters
  3. Send back HD video and images
  4. Get $30 million from Google
That was the inspiration that is doable.
Inscriptions are finished for that prize.
Most are teams associated with university's and large corporations
Corporations are made by people
People have hobbies and many do RC
So we have very high tech modelers that do wonderful things for this hobby and help us all a lot
If we manage to join each one speciality it will be a supportable burden to each one, keeping this has hobby and not a 'space mission' and the goal will be achieved shortly

From what I see every day in open source community's that develop has good as top of the line products and knowing that in history aeromodeling was always the birth and testing ground of new technology, the goal of FPV in moon is doable at hobbyist budget (probably some dozen of hobbyist budgets)
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:44 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
You can do it.
Keep us posted....
Alone is difficult. Help needed