Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
Best 4 channel heli

Hi Folks
New to RC helicopters
I have been flying a 3 channel coax (SYMA S032G) for a few months and have pretty much mastered it. I would like to move up to a 4 channel. Been looking at medium sized (400mm+) 7.4 V single rotor w/wo fly bar heli's. Especially would like one that can be flown outside in light winds. Been considering the Walkera V200D01, 2 or CB180D or perhaps the Helimax Novus 200. Maybe the Double Horse 9116 would be a more economical choice to get started on??

Any suggestions would be appreciated
jengr13 is offline Find More Posts by jengr13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Walkera has discontinued all flybarless FP heli models. They have very little to offer, compared to flybarless CP helis, so they don't sell well. The CB180 models were discontinued at least 3 years ago. Current Helimax models are rebadged Nine Eagles. I believe the 200 FP is also discontinued. You may want to check the micro heli forum to see which NE model it is. The best performing flybar FP heli is the Blade 120SR. Of the self-stabilized, easy to fly FP models, those from WL Toys seem to have the most satisfied customers and require the least upgrades and modifications. Again, check the V911 and V912 threads in the micro forum.

To be honest, there aren't many good choices in FP helis any more. The advances in electronics have made quads extremely popular in this market segment. They easily outperform any FP heli and are far more durable.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 25, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:55 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,943 Posts
If you don't have a transmitter and trying to keep your cost down - the V911 from Bang Good is probably as cheap as you will find for the price ($39) for a 4-ch fixed-pitch heli. For $99, the Blade MSR is a 4-ch FP micro helicopter with a good track record and very good support from Horizon Hobby. If you want to fly outdoors - fixed pitched helicopters sail better than they fly. Collective-pitch helicopters are able to handle a slight breeze but you really need a 450 size or bigger to have any control. The cost goes up significantly as you need a 6-ch programmable transmitter for any CP heli.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:10 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,986 Posts
Would depend on what you're planning. Are you going to stop at 4channel helis? Or is this just a stepping stone on your way to bigger ones?

If it's nothing more than to get enough stick time, a v911 or v929 would work for the short term. Construction and Quality control are low, their TX are pretty bad, but they're rugged, cheap and do the job. They only need to last a month or so before you move up to a 6ch.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Thanks for the great advice at this point I'm planning to just stick with 4 Channel.
jengr13 is offline Find More Posts by jengr13
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:43 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengr13 View Post
Thanks for the great advice at this point I'm planning to just stick with 4 Channel.
4-channel is a very good stick. There is a lot of personal bias on these forums trying to persuade you to buy what you "need" instead of what you want and that message is repeated over and over again by the same people. You can have as much fun as you can hardly stand with 4-channel. 6-channel is not the end of all ends just like 3D is not the end of the runway and you are missing out if you don't jump aboard. There are no limitations how far you can go in this hobby. There is also no limitation how much money you can spend - that's the part you don't hear about until it is too late and you are wearing out your credit card on helicopters and transmitters and simulators and replacement parts and the list goes on and on and on ...

Good luck - have fun - have a great flight!

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
The V911 and the V912 are both good choices and can both be gotten at a real reasonable price from Banggood.com. It took about 3 weeks to get my order from them.
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
After reviewing posts regarding the V912 here and in other forums, I would no longer recommend the V912. The PCB seems to have a high failure rate and the main motor has extremely short life. This may be correctable, so use your own discretion. A quad is still the best choice for 4 channels, factoring durability, reliability and performance.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
PCB ? Is that the main board ? I got the V912 mainly because of price and I had seen some reviews that were pretty favorable. Im so new at this I just didnt want to throw a whole bunch of money down if I was just going to tear it up.

I have since read a lot on the Quads and will probably pick one up also.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:31 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Yes, that's the main board. You have to understand that all of those self-stabilizing helis sold by the toy companies are very cheaply made and have their share of issues. You basically pick your poison. Blade is the only hobby company that still makes flybar FP helis (MSR and 120SR) and they are far better than those made by the toy companies. But they cost more, at least initially.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengr13 View Post
Hi Folks
New to RC helicopters
I have been flying a 3 channel coax (SYMA S032G) for a few months and have pretty much mastered it. I would like to move up to a 4 channel. Been looking at medium sized (400mm+) 7.4 V single rotor w/wo fly bar heli's. Especially would like one that can be flown outside in light winds. Been considering the Walkera V200D01, 2 or CB180D or perhaps the Helimax Novus 200. Maybe the Double Horse 9116 would be a more economical choice to get started on??

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Please don't take this the wrong way but there is really no 'mastering' a 3ch coaxial, just throttle and direction control. Even stepping up to a stabilized 4ch heli or quad will bring a number of challenges.

Your controls will be different and at the same time, the movement characteristics change and the amount of travel per given stick movement is much greater, giving you less time to react. None of this is scary, just a fun learning experience. Something small and durable might be a good idea to start, until you figure out your preferences.

I have the NE Solo Pro 228 which is basically the same as the Novus 200. Although it is an enjoyable flyer it would not really make a good 1st 4ch due to the fragile shaft driven tail.

The v911 is inexpensive, stable, durable, easy to learn how to adjust/repair, can handle a bit of wind, and would make a great 1st 4ch. The larger stuff may look more 'cool' but does not fly better, with the possible exception of the Blade 120sr, which has a different head design. Disclaimer - I have not flown one.

Any of the micro or mini quads would be even better. If this is something you are considering, then just read through the Mini Multirotors thread to see which flight characteristics appeal to you.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Yes, that's the main board. You have to understand that all of those self-stabilizing helis sold by the toy companies are very cheaply made and have their share of issues. You basically pick your poison. Blade is the only hobby company that still makes flybar FP helis (MSR and 120SR) and they are far better than those made by the toy companies. But they cost more, at least initially.
Thanks Blar. You have been a big help me. Yeah I know that any of these knock offs are going to be prone to issues. I have looked at Blades. I just hope to become comfortable with these before I step up to the "Big Boy Toys"
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchy View Post
Thanks Blar. You have been a big help me. Yeah I know that any of these knock offs are going to be prone to issues. I have looked at Blades. I just hope to become comfortable with these before I step up to the "Big Boy Toys"
That's a common mistake lots of beginners make. They buy a cheap heli from a website in China and spend weeks and months repairing, upgrading, modifying and waiting for parts. They could have spent $50 more on something decent and they would be done with the beginner heli by now and moved on. I guess it's all part of the learning process.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:36 PM
Zipties and Velcro
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
I guess we all learn from mistakes. I dont feel like I have made one yet, however almost everything I do i make a couple of mistakes along the way. I dont plan on upgrading or modifying this V912. I just want it to hold together long enough to learn more. When I learn to fly in a figure 8 I will be on to better things.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Now that is a very intelligent attitude to have.