HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Apr 2012
58 Posts
Discussion
Quiet electric helicopter?

Hi folks!

Is there such a thing as a very quiet RC electric helicopter, say about 250-size? The best I can think of is the V913 (fixed pitch, 45 deg flybar). I would really like to find a "whispering one" -that would be neat! No wakeing up neighbours and making irritating sounds. I guess most of the noise comes from the power transmission (Pinion to main gear). But hey - is there a better method to transfer power that would make it quiet? I am thinking friction gear or pulley but I cant find much about this on google. It would also be nice to get rid of the problem with gear stripping. Well, I guess that you veterans know more about this topic and I would be interested to hear your say.

Cheers
Swedman
swedman is offline Find More Posts by swedman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedman View Post
Hi folks!

Is there such a thing as a very quiet RC electric helicopter, say about 250-size? The best I can think of is the V913 (fixed pitch, 45 deg flybar). I would really like to find a "whispering one" -that would be neat! No wakeing up neighbours and making irritating sounds. I guess most of the noise comes from the power transmission (Pinion to main gear). But hey - is there a better method to transfer power that would make it quiet? I am thinking friction gear or pulley but I cant find much about this on google. It would also be nice to get rid of the problem with gear stripping. Well, I guess that you veterans know more about this topic and I would be interested to hear your say.

Cheers
Swedman
Protos or Mini Protos. No gear mesh at all.

My Protos slinging 430's is quieter by far than my smaller 450X, blade farts not withstanding.
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,678 Posts
Maxir is a very quiet heli, so the Ricco probably is as well.

http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...+kits+-+Laheli
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
You need a model of one of those black UN helicopters with "whisper mode" !
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
3d with an airliner
Tampa, Florida United States
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
ive noticed, that multi blade copters are significantly quieter than there 2 blade brothers, due to lower head speeds.
Francisco1 is offline Find More Posts by Francisco1
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,630 Posts
Low headspeed and Helical gears

Larger blades turning slower are much quieter. Larger slower tail rotor is good. When you go to larger helicopter some have helical gears which are much quieter.

Donít try 3 or 4 blades as they are nosier than 2 blades.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedman View Post
Hi folks!

Cheers
Swedman
The most noise per gram heli I have is a mini twister ninja... the smallest, noisiest micro coax I've heard. Very much toy grade, all plastic, and they scream. A pair of Syma 105G are whisper quiet in comparison.

Noise starts with the motor. Cheap, brushed motors with dry bearings at high rpm can screech with high frequency. A penetrating noise that may disturb neighbours (and me).

My V911 is much noisier than my GW 9958's. Much the same size.. but the V911 has very noisy motors in comparison.

Gears such as metal pinion to hard nylon main gear can be very tight before running in. Also they can cause a high frequency and penetrating noise. Oil helps the running in... theoretically a good ptf ("greasy" plastic) gear is self-lubricating.

Belt drive - is there a cost or build problem that has limited popularity / availability? Belt drive tail rotors are common.

Main shaft and bearings. Some cheap and nasty noises that may respond well to oil.

Oil and oil again.

Finally the rotor blades. On a small, model heli it's usually a lowish pitched noise that shouldn't be an issue with neighbours.

It may be possible to quieten a noisy model by replacing the motor(s)??

The noisiest for size would be quadcopters? (I couldn't watch a youtube of a micro quad without muting the sound. Four screeching direct drive motors... burnouts in the making).

I'm waiting for an HK-250GT kit to arrive before selecting parts. Finding a good, quiet motor will the heart (and mouth) of the build.

Cheers, Ian
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:16 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
im pretty sure that helical gears reduce noise levels
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:03 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
Protos
it sounds like a vacuum cleaner lol
6HV is pretty quiet compared to most helis too
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
The quietest aircraft I have is my MQx quad, with just air movement noise. It's my theory that the McDonalds ice cream treat lid canopy helps a lot. The loudest is my Phantom quad, which is rather ironic. All of my helis have blade, motor and canopy vibration noises.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14