HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Sparrowhawk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 05:45 PM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Wanted PBY, Catalina or Albatross Electric Model

HELP!
I'm looking for a small / med. size electric model of a PBY , Catalina or Albatross float plane that I can fly. It can be new or used but in good shape. I spend a lot of time on my boat in the summer and thought it would be fun.
Sparrowhawk is offline Find More Posts by Sparrowhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2004, 06:14 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
I'd like to find one too! Doesn't seem to be any PBY kits for EP. The Guillows PBY is the right size for 2 geared 400 size motors, but is advertised as "non flying, display model". It may be heavy with a lot of plastic parts, but someone might be able to build one light enough. I just missed one on e-bay for $45. "Startpoint" has plans for a 65 in. WS PBY that would probably fly with (2) 200 to 300 watt motors. On auction this eve.
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy
Old Jan 06, 2004, 08:15 AM
Miami, FL USA
Joined Feb 2000
89 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
PBY Catalina

Easy Built sold one, about 50"ws or so. The new owners only
list a display Catalina of the same size. One of the electric ones
may be found at flea markets or the display model could be
converted. Good Luck, Cecil
Cecil M Wethy is offline Find More Posts by Cecil M Wethy
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:05 AM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Dare is making one. Woohoo!

http://www.darehobby.com (scroll to bottom of page)

Specs:

Scale 44" = 12"
Span: 44"
Length 2775"
Wing Area 270 sq in

Power : MPI geared
Prop 6 1/2" dia
Batteries: 7 cell nimah 280 mah

That 280mAh cell size seems small; I hope it's not heavy. The wingspan is perfect, and apparently it can be built as anything from a PBY3 to 5.

And of course, this comes along after I got plans from Carsten's for a FF version :/ I still may build that one out of FFF just for yucks.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jan 06, 2004, 01:15 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2003
11 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Catalina

I don't have a line on a used Catalina, but new, i'd try Dymond- they had a great looking Catalina a while back at this site- http://www.rc-dymond.com/

Hope it helps!

Airsail
airsail is offline Find More Posts by airsail
Old Jan 06, 2004, 02:18 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Yep, dymond has a PBY in their "Special Electric Airplanes " section. Also check out the Osprey at the bottom of the page.
dmoran is offline Find More Posts by dmoran
Old Jan 06, 2004, 07:03 PM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
THANKS!

MondoMor,
Thanks for the contact at Dare Design http://www.darehobby.com/ they are almost ready to release their new PBY-3-5 Catalina. I talked to Terry there today and ordered one. Terry was very nice and helpful. I'm really looking forward to this project. Dare Design can be reached at (706)736-5070 Thanks to all!

Sparrowhawk
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:43 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Re: THANKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
I talked to Terry there today and ordered one.
!!!!

Dare I ask how much? The Dymond one is so darned expensive I totally forgot about it. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow if I remember.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jan 07, 2004, 04:40 AM
Balti, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
304 Posts
Price of Dare PBY-3-5 Catalina

They are so new that Terry was not sure of the exact price yet but what he told me the ball park price was very reasonable. He is going to have the packaging and price soon. Give him a call for details and as soon as I know for sure I will post it.

Dare Design & Engineering (706)736-5070
www.darehobby.com

Sparrowhawk
Closed Thread