HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
AR600 won't bind

Hi,

I've just bought my first plane, a Parkzone T-28 with AR600 receiver (BNF version). According to the manual, a led on the receiver should be flashing rapidly when powered up with the bind plug inserted. But it doesn't flash, there's only a continuous (red) led on the receiver. The ESC beeps correctly (1 long, 3 short). I've tried disconnecting all servos, so only with bind plug and throttle (ESC) connected but no difference. The bind plug isn't defective, the outer pins are shorted according to my multimeter. Battery is charged.

My transmitter is a DX7s but I don't think this is of any importance as long as I can't get the rx to power-on in bind mode (i.e. flashing led). I've tried completing the instructions even though the receiver isn't flashing but the transmitter powers up normally (after 'binding' and then 'transmitting' appears in the screen. Plane doesn't respond to any controls so obviously the tx and rx aren't paired.

Is my receiver defective or am I missing something?

Thanks
patmas is offline Find More Posts by patmas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:40 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,609 Posts
Probably you put the bind plug in the wrong socket. You must use the bind/data connector on the RX.

Did you connect the ESC correctly (polarity) ?
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Yes I used the bind/data connector. It's clearly labeled so not easy to miss ;-).

I thought maybe the ESC polarity was reversed eventhough it came pre-installed. So looked it up in the AR600 manual online but it is correct: ground is the brown lead which is at the outer edge of the receiver, red (+) in the middle and orange (signal) towards the middle.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:11 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,609 Posts
That seems correct. Strange.

Try putting some distance between the TX and RX during binding. 1-2m should be enough, otherwise the RX will be overdriven
Attach the bind plug, power it, switch on the TX with trainer plug pressed and throttle at zero. You should see "DSMX 22ms" on the display after successful binding.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmas View Post
Yes I used the bind/data connector. It's clearly labeled so not easy to miss ;-).

I thought maybe the ESC polarity was reversed eventhough it came pre-installed. So looked it up in the AR600 manual online but it is correct: ground is the brown lead which is at the outer edge of the receiver, red (+) in the middle and orange (signal) towards the middle.
Nothing else matters till you get that rapid flashing. To minimize the variables, don't have any servos plugged in. Leave the transmitter off. Insert the bind plug in the bind/batt slot. Plug the throttle cable from the ESC (with no motor connected) into any other slot. Plug in the battery.

The receiver should flash rapidly. If the light comes on solid, reverse the throttle connector. If no light comes on at all, check your power source -- try a different ESC or use a 4.8 to 6 volt battery.

As long as you have nothing else plugged in, there are really only three possibilities if the receiver doesn't flash rapidly: (1) the bind plug is bad or not plugged in correctly; (2) the power is inadequate or the plug is reversed, (3) the receiver is defective.

I repeat, don't waste time checking anything else if the receiver does not flash rapidly when powered up with the bind plug in and the transmitter off. Rapid flash means bind mode and is the prerequisite for the following steps.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Mar 23, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Did some more digging. The light that comes on solid is referred to as the 'hold' led in the manual. It is supposed to blink if the radio connection is interrupted during flight. Nowhere in the manual is it mentioned that it's supposed to be on solid, or if it's a sign of some kind of problem when it is. The orange led that I think is the one that should be blinking in bind-mode only blinks once very briefly when power is disconnected. It doesn't make any difference if I connect the ESC to a different port.

I guess I could tear the thing apart, disconnect the engine from the ESC or open up the receiver to check the bind port connections, but they are both glued in place and I only bought it a week ago so i'll just take it back to the shop and have them take a look at it.

Thanks for the tips anyway
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Did some more digging. The light that comes on solid is referred to as the 'hold' led in the manual. It is supposed to blink if the radio connection is interrupted during flight. Nowhere in the manual is it mentioned that it's supposed to be on solid, or if it's a sign of some kind of problem when it is. The orange led that I think is the one that should be blinking in bind-mode only blinks once very briefly when power is disconnected. It doesn't make any difference if I connect the ESC to a different port.

I guess I could tear the thing apart, disconnect the engine from the ESC or open up the receiver to check the bind port connections, but they are both glued in place and I only bought it a week ago so i'll just take it back to the shop and have them take a look at it.

As was suggested, have you disconnected the ESC from the Rx and used an Rx battery to power the Rx? Sometimes the BEC, in the ESC, will not provide power to the Rx. Using an external battery will help rule that out as a problem.

When you connect the Bind Plug to the Rx and then connect the Rx battery, you should get a flashing LED. If not, there is a problem with the Rx.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:

The light everyone is referring to is the orange one.

One lesson is that radio components should never be glued in.

At this point you must focus on getting that rapid orange flashing (or not!). Simply insert the bind plug and apply power.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
This happened to me as well.
Turn the power connection around in the receiver.
They should make it so they only go in one way, but they don't.
That fixed it for me.
MThomson456 is offline Find More Posts by MThomson456
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:17 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,609 Posts
They actually do. Can you see the small tabs on the housing ?
A hint: The signal wire is always "inside" the receiver. Why ? Because it is easier on the layout to feed the signal wires directly to the processor. On the outside there is ground and power. These are connnected all across, so routing the signal over the copper traces is not possible. If the connector is angled, follow the connector....