HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:21 AM
Bardowick, 50km from Hamburg,Germany
Joined Apr 2006
52 Posts
Cool
"flitetest" website for scratchbuilds

Ive just discovered the website "flitetest". The guys there have produced some very good "how to" videos of scratchbuilt planes and include downloadable plans of them. There is a lot more to this site than you may imagine at first, so it is worth spending some time exploring it. The planes all use a scratchbuilt "power pod" which can be easily swapped from one plane to another, thereby saving time and money. All the planes are made with dollar store paper-covered poster-board, and the paper does not have to be removed before building.

So start at the link below and go from there to the links listed for beginners, intermediate or advanced builds from there.....

http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-swa...-power-pod-kit

Note: The video titled "EDF Afterburner build log" is also worth a look - even if you are not into EDF jets.

Update

Built a Nutball + "Power Pod"
I just tried out this plane after waiting two weeks for the strong east wind to finally die down. I only flew for ten minutes at minus five degrees below freezing then the motor picked up too much snow. It flies from slower than walking pace to very fast. The motor is a cheap Pichler Nano Limited Edition (1300 kV) with aGWS 8x4,3 prop and 3s 600mAh LiPo. The "Power Pod" is a great idea and I shall be building other wing units for it soon.

2nd. Update
Hi RS
Just got round to reading my PMs. To answer your questions I took a few photos of how I make the servo linkages. I use normal shrink tubing, the size depends on the thickness of the carbon rod and the piano wire Im using. I apply a little CA to the end of the tube and let it run down inside and then use kicker/accelerator to harden it. The shrink tube can then be shrunk using a heat gun. I normally try and do both ends of the control rod before installing the servos. I link one end of the rod to the control surface horn and the other end onto the servo arm. I turn my transmitter on and check that the servo arm is in the middle position. Then, leaving the TX on, I fix the servo with hot glue and check that the control surface is level. Doing it that way saves having to have any extra Z bend on the control wire. Any slight adjustments to the arm can be made using the trim function on the TX, although its not normally necessary. If I have to install a control rod after the servo is already glued in place (e.g. after a crash) then I use two pieces of plywood to deflect the heat away from the depron whilst heating the shrink tube. I have never had a control rod fail using this method which I have practiced on 60 - 70 foamies....
Tech Teacher is offline Find More Posts by Tech Teacher
Last edited by Tech Teacher; Apr 09, 2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
yup, we're aware. some people got opinions with a capital "O" about flite test (mostly good)
the dihedral swappable trainer is very good i hear
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:56 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I've built three planes in the swappable series and flown two. The two i have flown (ft bloody wonder and ft flyer) are amazing and the FT 3d that i haven't flown looks awesome. I'm setting it up today so it should get it's maiden this evening. It was fun enough to build that I don't care if it is above my skill level or not. I'm gonna throw it up in the air and see what happens.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
I've built three planes in the swappable series and flown two. The two i have flown (ft bloody wonder and ft flyer) are amazing and the FT 3d that i haven't flown looks awesome. I'm setting it up today so it should get it's maiden this evening. It was fun enough to build that I don't care if it is above my skill level or not. I'm gonna throw it up in the air and see what happens.
You will be pleasantly surprised. On low rates 3D planes are not that hard to fly.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:22 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I didn't get to do the maiden. For some reason the gws linkage stoppers I ordered allow the push rods to slip no matter how tight i tighten it down and so far I hav been too lazy to make z bends on both sides.

I did however add some leds to the flyer and have been flying the bloody wonder daily. I'll be flying the 3d this weekend for sure tho.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:31 PM
Bardowick, 50km from Hamburg,Germany
Joined Apr 2006
52 Posts
Update (Nutball build) - see Post #1
Tech Teacher is offline Find More Posts by Tech Teacher
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:42 PM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Two Videos of my FliteTest BabyBlender Biplane!
MaidenFlight Baby Blender (2 min 53 sec)

The legendary BabyBlender (3 min 27 sec)
SebastianG. is online now Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:07 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Awesome. I just bought the speed build kit for that plane. I was going to scratch build it but i thought it might be fun to have the laser cut and help support their site a little.

edit:// Just watched the second vid...lol. Nice job. Can't believe you fit in that Baby Blender like that!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:51 AM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Yeah i'm very skinny! ;-)
SebastianG. is online now Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:13 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I've built the FT Nutball, Delta and Bloody Wonder, and now half way through the Baby Blender V2.
They all fly great, the Delta got a good bashing yesterday when my fiancee's brother had a go... Other than the back bbq skewer for holding the zip tie nothing got broken. Tough little thing!

Really good idea, a set of cheap builds with common expensive bits, makes it easy to get into the hobby.
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:17 AM
Crashing with Confidence
United States, MO, Maryland Heights
Joined Jan 2011
64 Posts
I've built the FT Flyer, the Bloody Wonder and the Delta and enjoyed them all.

Here is a video of my FT Flyer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1839208http://

I think I prefer the Delta myself. Mostly because it does better with wind.
dwillman5 is offline Find More Posts by dwillman5
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:50 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
Yeah the Delta is quite good in wind. The Nutball is surprisingly good in wind too, better than I expected anyway.
Old Apr 07, 2013, 04:39 PM
Happy Summer
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Sep 2012
307 Posts
Orca Nutball and FT Flyer

The FT Flyer has been retired. I loved the experience and learned a lot from building and flying it. Built the Orca Nutball wing.
  • Battery: 2S 800 - 900 mAh battery
  • Paint was created using 2mil vinyl packaging tape.
  • Servo stoppers: Used Tech Teacher's method.
  • Prop: 8x4
  • Placed battery inside pod.
Red.Sneakers is offline Find More Posts by Red.Sneakers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jun 06, 2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: update
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:27 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
What are those stoppers you have on the servos? They're smaller than any I've found so far.
I've got the plans for a Flyer ready to go.

I found that a 3S is easier to fly on, the extra power can pull you out of a sticky situation, but my foam seems to be heavier than other people get.

Very distinctive paint scheme! Takes. Me ages to paint, I just fly them naked :-P
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:23 PM
Crashing with Confidence
United States, MO, Maryland Heights
Joined Jan 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
What are those stoppers you have on the servos? They're smaller than any I've found so far.
I've got the plans for a Flyer ready to go.

I found that a 3S is easier to fly on, the extra power can pull you out of a sticky situation, but my foam seems to be heavier than other people get.

Very distinctive paint scheme! Takes. Me ages to paint, I just fly them naked :-P
You, or the plane?

Yes, I like my FT Flyer overpowered. You can see in my video (posted earlier this thread) at 2:02 how I was too close to the goal post for comfort and I hit full power. Keep in mind, that acceleration was climbing and against a wind!

I fly 3S 1500mah with 1200kv motor. A little heavier than design but I love the climb rate.

Here is the stoppers I found at the Local Hobby.
dwillman5 is offline Find More Posts by dwillman5