HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2004, 09:34 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
My Voyager E has arrived :)

Well it arrived safe and sound this morning - This is the first time I've got to see a VE close up and like what I see. Compared to the Eco 8 it is really solid and well designed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it flies compared to my Eco.

One question, the previous owner used standard servos rather than the mini servos. Is the weight difference really that much of a disadvantage ?
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2004, 09:38 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Here is a photo, looks great
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:15 AM
Calgary, Ab.
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
I think you really will notice a difference. You can shave several ounces off going to smaller servos, and the performance of some (i.e. the HS 225's) exceed that of their bigger kin.

They really don't add a lot cost wise to your investment, and I think the performance gained is worth it
My 1 1/2 cents (2 cents Canadian...the Loonies on the rise!)
Wayne
dragnaflyer is offline Find More Posts by dragnaflyer
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:35 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
I see you have the yellow KSJ paddles on there. I received mine with the same paddles and had some difficulty in my initial flights because the heli was extremely twitchy. If you're just starting out, you may want to put the stock paddles on until you get a feel for he heli. It was a night and day difference for me.

Lance
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:37 AM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Malc,

So it's built "almost" as well as an Eolo then

Congrats on the expanding heli hangar

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:50 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Lance, I don't have the original paddles, what you see is what I got ! - the heli is second hand. I can hover the Eco for 10-12 mins in one spot and have done 2 circuits with the piccolo (crashed on the 3rd ) so hopefully I should be able yo handle the VE

Wayne, thank for the comments, I have two Ripmax SD200's (originally purchased as spares for the Eco 8) in my toolbox and was hoping to use these (plus 2 more). However the previous owner used standard servos, and now doesn't have the adaptor plates for mini servo use. I'm making enquiries to locate some as I really want to save as much weight as possible.

Jerry, I thought the elo copied the high standard of the VE , tell you the Eco (even with the CF frames, and upgrades) looks so much more delicate than the VE !
Old Jan 05, 2004, 01:07 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
hi Malc,

just curious. why did you decide to purchase a Voyager in addition to the Eco you already have ? except for the fragility of the Eco, what else is better/worse ?

Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Jan 05, 2004, 01:36 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Oded,

The Eco 8 is a nice heli, and only (in my opinion) requires three upgrade parts (the auto unit, boom, and tail pitch slider), but will fly straight out of the box.

The reason I also purchased a VE was two fold. I have always liked the AS355 helicopter (Twinstar) and JR do a light weight GRP AS355 body for the VE. However the cost of getting a new VE, with brushless option and then the additional cost of the body made the project prohibitive. However I was offered a second hand one that has made it more affordable and my dream of flying a true scale model helicopter is looking very real.

The build quality of the VE is better than the Eco, but then you would expect that from a kit costing almost twice as much as the Eco 8. But then if you add up the cost of the upgrades there is not much in it. Both have their good points and bad (which have probably been covered on this BB), but I would still recommend the Eco 8 to anyone wanting an entry level electric heli.

The thing is the Eco 8 has been around for some time now and looks to be replaced buy a jumped up piccolo called the Eco 7 which has foam bodies as standard. It would be nice to see how these compare to both the VE and the Eco 8, and if the Eco 7 is more toy than model ??
Old Jan 05, 2004, 01:52 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Malc,

looking forward to hear your flight reports, especially in comparison with the Eco 8. I'm looking into my secend heli and although the Eolo seems like the natural choice, I do have a problem with its small size (same as my corona). it gets real small real fast. visibility is my main concern.

I wonder for which battery & motor the Eco 7 is designed for ?

Oded.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 03:59 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
Malcolm

If you really want to save some weight and are going to have to make servo adapters yourself for the mini's, go for HS-81's, and make adapters for them. I wish I had made some adapters for some HS-81's to save some weight instead of going for the HS-225BB's. All 3 of those big heavy servo's behind the main shaft area make for some awkward balancing. You can make some adapters out of some CF, which I'm sure you have access to.

I started out with a Corona and then went for the Eco 8. After that I bought a VE and liked it soooo much, I sold the Eco 8. I'm now also a proud owner of an Eolo. I like the Eolo for the small size, but in my opinion, you can't beat the stability of the VE.

You have got to go brushless though, the power and flight times with the stock motor are hidious.
Bourbon is offline Find More Posts by Bourbon
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:06 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
what battery pack are you using in the Voyager ? it would be really helpful to hear some more comparison between the voyager, eolo & eco.

thanks, Oded.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 05:03 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
I'm just using 8 cell, 2400 packs with an Astroflight 020. Going to the lighter than stock motor didn't help the balancing issue either. I ended up making a battery extender out of some heat shrink tubing and plastic to slip over the end of the battery and still use the existing battery mount. It worked out pretty slick!

I didn't really care for the Eco 8 because of it being so fragile, and in my opinion the quality of the parts wasn't that great. Gears and pulleys didn't turn true, the plastic screw holes were too big to begin with, and in stock form it was just too flexy. By the time I got it as solid as the VE, I had more money in it than it cost to by the VE. Stability wise, I think the VE is better, it's not as twitchy as the Eco 8.

The verdic on the Eolo isn't in yet. The weather here in Washington has been horrible for the past month and I haven't had any flight time to get it dialed in yet, but it looks like a promising experience. I've only run about 4 packs through it so far, but I have to admit it is more responsive than the VE, but that's probably because of the size and weight.

Now I'll touch on durability! The Corona by all means has got to be the Corona, no doubt about it. Next would be the VE, it's an easy and accurate build along with being very solid. The 3rd choice would be the Eolo, it requires a lot of messing around with rod lengths to get the proper pitch range settings, and the landing gear is less than desirable, but the parts fit and manufacturing are top notch. As far as the Eco 8 goes, I was disappointed with it in all aspects. Don't get me wrong, the Eco 8 is an okay helicopter, but I'd have to admit, I won't buy another Ikarus product again.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 05:48 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Lol ducks

I have an Eolo and a Corona. At the moment my Corona is my heli of choice, but mainly because the radio/servo/BL motor on my Eolo have been stripped for the Corona

Regards

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Last edited by jerrysimon; Jan 05, 2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
thanks Bourbon,

is there a significant size difference between the Voyager & Eolo ? if you have a photo of them both, it would be great (only if it's no trouble).

UK members,
I noticed that the Voyager and Eolo are about the same price in the UK - http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ac..._Electric.html

I really like the Voyager for its size...

Oded.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:50 AM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
I don't have everything set up to post any pics, sorry.

The Eolo is just a smidge bigger than the Corona, but not much. In fact, it doesn't allow for any big electronics at all. Everything has a very limited space for mounting things.

The VE on the other hand is about the same size as the Eco 8 and has a lot more space to mount things.

I'd also have to say, since I own both the Eolo and the VE, I'd buy a VE over the Eolo mainly because of it's size and stability. It's really a shame that the VE comes with that motor and esc that it has. The standard Eolo comes with a brushed motor also, but I went straight to brushless, so I never used it. Also, either way you go, neither the standard Eolo nor the VE come with CF blades, but woodies are fine to start with.