HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
It was a flybarred Trex 700 nitro, based on the pictures. 690-710mm rotor blades.
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:31 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
Saw this in the "Hot Threads" section and took a look. Needless to say it's a tragic accident for everyone involved. It looks like a freak occurrence of some sort that was most likely not preventable; something on the helicopter failed and the victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It certainly doesn't look like anything the pilot did wrong, and it's very hard to even get such a large heli in the air without knowing every last nut and bolt like the back of your hand, so it was most likely something like a servo failure or radio lockout.

I do find certain reactions and comments in this thread to be extremely disturbing given what's happened, but I understand that this is the Internet and there are all kinds of people out there. When I see dog crap on the sidewalk, I step over it and keep walking.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
Also, regarding helis being scary... Man, do I ever know that feeling. With my plank background, I've had it drilled into me to stay behind a spinning prop and never go beside it in case it throws a blade. Even a relatively small prop moving at relatively low speeds can be extremely dangerous.

A month or two ago I pulled out my old Axe CP heli (about the size of a Blade 400), kludged together a working setup for it, and flew it around for a total of a few minutes before I crashed it and broke some parts (pitch curve errors). The whole time I had that thing in the air, every warning bell, buzzer, and blinky light in my head was screaming at me to get out of the way... I think my last bits of interest in helis weighing more than ~2oz pretty much died right there. I'm still considering a Nano CPx, but that's about it.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:44 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Saw this in the "Hot Threads" section and took a look. Needless to say it's a tragic accident for everyone involved. It looks like a freak occurrence of some sort that was most likely not preventable; something on the helicopter failed and the victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It certainly doesn't look like anything the pilot did wrong, and it's very hard to even get such a large heli in the air without knowing every last nut and bolt like the back of your hand, so it was most likely something like a servo failure or radio lockout.I do find certain reactions and comments in this thread to be extremely disturbing given what's happened, but I understand that this is the Internet and there are all kinds of people out there. When I see dog crap on the sidewalk, I step over it and keep walking.
How on earth can you claim it was not pilot failure? Is it possible something failed? sure! But I beleive it easily could have been pilot failure. Far too often people fly beyond their abilties, and we don't know who the pilot was, what his experience is, etc. It does take a certain degree of knowledge to get a 700 Nitro working and in the air, but there is a huge gap in knowledge and flying skill between someone who can get one up and someone who should be allowed to fly demos at an event like this. I'm not claiming it was pilot error, but nothing I've seen so far can provide any evidence either way. It most certainly could have been someone flying beyond their ability and he just lost it.
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Mar 23, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
In the video on the news site it looked like it was hovering pretty solidly at a good altitude until the tail dropped hard, presumably just before the crash. I mean sure, it could have just been a pilot flying something outside his abilities, but the (admittedly short) clip definitely looks more like a failure of some kind.

The helicopter was also flying in a show that was part of the grand opening of a new sports field; this wasn't just some yahoo out flying his new toy. I find it hard to believe that an incompetent pilot would be performing at such an event.

Flybarless helis might be the newest/latest/greatest stuff, but it's not like flybarred heads are entirely crippled in the air. Even a really excellent pilot might still own and fly them perfectly happily. It's not exactly fair, or even logical, to try and base the pilot's experience level on the fact that he wasn't flying a flybarless head on this one particular heli.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
I have attended the one competition at ircha and have always wondered what would happen to any of those helis if something went wrong. Several of the moves are flying very close to the crowds and even flying right towards the onlookers to just swerve at the last minute. I have had to wonder how many people would be seriously hurt if things went bad.
Jeff
jjos99 is offline Find More Posts by jjos99
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,347 Posts
Some multicopter's pilots are completely unconscious.
Not surprising accidents happen.

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...extra=page%3D1
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
I'm just saying it needs to be considered as a possibility. I'm not accusing him of negligence because I just don't know enough, but to rule it out because this was some big grand opening is meaningless. Is there another video other than the one in this newsreel? I did not see the part you mentioned where the tail dropped, but the video in the link I saw did not indicate the pilot had any better than intermediate skills, and did not show the actual failure or flight path toward the crowd at all. You may very well be correct, my main point is pilot error should not be ruled out unless there is better evidence. All but the very best pilots can loose orientation from time to time when flying 3D.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:00 PM
The Master of Disaster
Joplin MO
Joined May 2009
168 Posts
what a horrific accident. I my self am a helicopter pilot and a father. I have been flying for 30 plus years now and am fairly confident in my skill on the gimbals, That being said I am positive that I would not fly my 90 size Outrage velocity in a packed stadium with folks that had no Idea of the damage that my bird can do. I just hope that this does not add to the already heated RC debate going on in our country. My thoughts go out to the family of the child. By the way I don't see the point in mincing words on this topic, I don't care if the pilot was the top seated RC comp pilot, heli's are notorious for failing, by design they are trying to rip them self's apart from the moment that they are started, No excuse for this. I hope we all remember this accident the next time we think its time to throw the smack down at the field
Jairoblaster is offline Find More Posts by Jairoblaster
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
RIP lil girl.
muritku is offline Find More Posts by muritku
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:38 PM
Waterville, Maine
Joined Oct 2006
394 Posts
Very sad indeed. But I have to say that RC Heli at that scale is NO toy helicopter.
KillerOfDolts is offline Find More Posts by KillerOfDolts
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Flip FPV w/ XL Arms.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
It is a very sad thing, we never know when we get up in the morning if today is our last. I seen a 700 size heli have a servo malfunction and It flew past a group of people before it crashed into the ground. The speed that it had before it crashed was amazing. I have a 600 and a 500 heli and i'm always a little uneasy when I fly anywhere near people. There like a flying lawnmower
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
589 Posts
I bought a nice used trex 550 spooled it up in the garage once and sold it, as I fly around family and parks mostly. I have had to many parts go bad in flight on the 500 not to mention airplanes and foamys.
superinstaller is online now Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:46 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Very tragic ..

But with helicopters becoming more affordable , more people flying in shared space , public places , car parks and such , wont be long before another incident ..

youtube is full of heli - fails , be they cheap or expensive - hardware failure or pilot failure .

Thing to remember is , stuff happens and you have a duty of care to be as safe as possible and not fly where its not safe to do so ... or fly in a unsafe manner ( think 3D )

You dont see full sized aircraft doing aerobatics over major population centers for a reason .

I guess the RC copter is a double edged sword , the reason we fly ? maybe cos you can do so almost anywhere , can also work against you when stuff happens ..

Every time you power up , you may wish to think about the worst case scenario and whether you can afford it !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2013
19 Posts
This is very sad indeed. I'm expecting a daughter these next 2 months and it helps me realize how dangerous this can actually be. Safe flying everyone.
WoLvEr1nE17 is offline Find More Posts by WoLvEr1nE17