HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,818 Posts
Discussion
FLASHABLE VS. NON-FLASHABLE and upgrades...

I just want to remind everyone that when you upgrade to v3.x of the firmware (by purchasing the v3.x firmware upgrade), any device that has a CPU that is "non-flashable" will not be changed to a CPU that is "flashable". This refers to in-field flashing. We can flash any type here manually.

Because we could never be guaranteed to get CPUs that had the self writing capability, we never advertised that XtremeLink radio system as having the ability to perform in-field flashing. About 80% of original products could be flashed in-field using the XDP though. The other 20% would have to be connected to a PC and reflashed.

The Nano receivers, Aurora 9 module, and all future products will always be in-field flashable.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:09 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
I feel stupid just trying to understand posts like this. If anyone ever publishes The Complete Idiot's Guide to XPS, let me know. I'd like to buy a copy.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
SailPlane'r
wernersville, Pa
Joined May 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
I feel stupid just trying to understand posts like this. If anyone ever publishes The Complete Idiot's Guide to XPS, let me know. I'd like to buy a copy.
I feel your pain, but don't feel stupid. We all started out stupid.
cluft is offline Find More Posts by cluft
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:56 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,818 Posts
Ryan, when we released the XtremeLink system (6 years ago in April) I had no intention of making the firmware user upgradable. There were several reasons for this. The main reason was that the flashing routine would have to be fool-proof so that if it was interrupted during the upgrade, it could recover. This seems simple, but it really is quite a bit of work. The XDP was released in late 2007 along with v2.0, which gave us the ability to change fail safes and channel mapping. I also added the ability to flash firmware with the idea that those customers that did have a unit (transmitter module or receiver) with a CPU that could be flashed remotely, could do so. However, this capability was never an advertised feature of product line.

In October of 2008 we released v3.0 to comply with the frequency laws change in Europe.

In February 2010, we released the Nano receivers, which was the first product that officially supports in-field flashing. The Aurora 9 module was released a year later and also officially supports in-field flashing. All future products will support in-field flashing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 22, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluft View Post
I feel your pain, but don't feel stupid. We all started out stupid.
& some of us never made any progress! .....
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
Some of us just aren't electronics geeks. Their talents are elsewhere.
This doesn't apply to Jim but I'm sure many reveal their own lack of understanding by their inability to explain to the layman without the jargon used by members of the club.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:10 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,701 Posts
I'm in the electronics/computer/networking business and this stuff confuses me all the time. I do it all day, then come home to unwind and get some love by hanging out with my family. Later when it is my time to relax with a little RC work, I get more electronics and computers! (But more fun when the stuff goes into model airplanes.)
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:19 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,818 Posts
Ok, in layman terms - with the exception of Nano receivers and our Aurora 9 module, our products can not be flashed by customers

Now, in real terms... about 80% of our products have the ability to be flashed by customers, but we don't officially support this (even though we do provide some tools to do it).
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:36 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
That helps, a bit. I can't foresee using anything but a Nano receiver in the near future and I'll have a chance to ask about the A9 module if you have them at Toledo. I'll be working the show every day.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Is there any way I can tell of my JR TX module is one that is flashable without sending it in?

When the new TX & RX appear will the firmware version change?
Steve Adams is offline Find More Posts by Steve Adams
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:23 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,818 Posts
The only way to know what version you have is by reading the firmware using the XDP or Telemetry Station. That's we have to do here to know.

The firmware for the JR transmitter module will probably never change at this point. There is no need to change firmware for any receivers.
RCG Plus Member