HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Discussion
SR.N5 kit or Sirius 600

I'd like to just build from a kit; I'm new to hovercraft but not to RC. I am a bit weak on brushless motors though.

With a separate lift motor, I guess I can go in reverse?

Anyway, my big question is which of these two kits to go with, and which BL motors and esc's to use. Thrust esc F/R proportional and lift esc forward, probably proportional(?). I can use either Lipo or NiMh sub-C size.

The advantages of this one:
http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/SRN5...Hovercraft.htm

are I can buy it in the USA, and it's 16 inches wide. Cons are they are not very responsive to an e-mail question, and they seem to in the past dropped models from their line. Maybe not a good or a bad thing??? They also only discuss brushed motors as coming with the kit, and so far, no info from them as to what BL setup to use.

But here are the motors they use in kit, brushed 400 or 480:
http://hovercraftmodels.com/store/co.../en-us/d9.html

Of course they may be perfectly fine. It's also more of a scale than a racer, I don't know if there is any compromise there.

The Sirius 600:

http://modelhovercraft.co.uk/page13.html

Is 12 inches wide, and I'd have to ship from UK. But it looks like they are adding models to their line (the Sirius is the newest). I have heard they are responsive to questions, and they list BL motors on their site. I have an e-mail in to them now about the lift optional upgrade and what BL motors and esc(s) recommended. Waiting for reply.
H2Ohaze is offline Find More Posts by H2Ohaze
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:45 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
I can vouch for Palaform (the UK company) as I know the owner personally and have bought two kits from him in the past plus know people who have had other models from him and all with good reports. He is a one man band though, so whilst he is very responsive and enthusiastic, he does have a day job, so you may have to wait a few days for a reply. Can't comment on the US models I'm afraid.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Bass
Joined Jan 2013
72 Posts
I can recommend brushless motors after years of experience with both.
- hovercraft create lots of dust and spray which causes brushed motors to lose power and wear out, but if you are only going to operate indoors or over clean dry surfaces they're ok
for any given power and size a lighter model performs better so this should guide your choice unless appearance is your main consideration
windnsea is offline Find More Posts by windnsea
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Good info, thanks. Heard back from Jag on the Sirius 600. Shipping is reasonable, although it goes up in April.

How would I go about selecting BL motors for lift and also one for thrust? Also an esc F/R for thrust and a proportional forward only for lift? What's holding me back here is I'm absolutely clueless as to what to order. If I had some part numbers....

I'm thinking $150 budget total for the two BL motors and escs if that is possible. I think the Sirius fits 400 size brushed motors. I might spend more if absolutely needed. Or maybe the lift esc can be eliminated or?

I have some 3S 2200 Lipos, and some 7 cell sub-C NiMh car packs, some 3000 mah and some 4600 mah.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
Jag can recommend some motors for his models, or even supply them though it would be cheaper to buy them locally. I tend to go for high kV rated for the thrust in combination with a reasonably low pitch prop. For the lift fan you don't need an especially fast or powerful motor
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
Thanks for the help. I ordered the Sirius 600 from Jag. He set me up with:

Brushless motor - 1450 rpm/V min. (400 size) for thrust

1400Kv Lift motor for lift

Since I have some 3S 2200 mah 30C Lipos around, they will be connected to these. Also Jag got me a 30 amp F/R esc for thrust and a 20 amp F esc for lift.