HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
Discussion
Simple Large Slow UAV plan

i'm certain something like this exists somewhere but i'm having trouble finding it.
in any case, i have a long term project of building a very long range, efficient UAV.
i'm starting out with building the model itself and flying it traditionally before transitioning into a UAV.

for high efficiency i'm going to need something pretty large, the large size will also make it easier for the uav system to keep it level and make smooth turns and landings.

Slowness (at least, the option of slow flying) would be great for starting off manual piloting. it'll also allow the APM more breathing room for maneuvers.

Simple is because i doubt anything on the market that does what i need will be in any reasonable price range, so i'll probably need to build it from scratch. Scaling up something smaller is totally fine as well.
But who knows, there might be some $60 kit flying wing that has a 6' wingspan somewhere on hobbyking.
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:40 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
i'm certain something like this exists somewhere but i'm having trouble finding it.
in any case, i have a long term project of building a very long range, efficient UAV.
i'm starting out with building the model itself and flying it traditionally before transitioning into a UAV.

for high efficiency i'm going to need something pretty large, the large size will also make it easier for the uav system to keep it level and make smooth turns and landings.

Slowness (at least, the option of slow flying) would be great for starting off manual piloting. it'll also allow the APM more breathing room for maneuvers.

Simple is because i doubt anything on the market that does what i need will be in any reasonable price range, so i'll probably need to build it from scratch. Scaling up something smaller is totally fine as well.
But who knows, there might be some $60 kit flying wing that has a 6' wingspan somewhere on hobbyking.
Welcome aboard RC Groups!

If you're stuck on the concept of a flying wing planform for your airplane, I'd consider a delta like the Delta Vortex from BTE.

http://www.btemodels.com/vortex.html

The complete kit is listed as out of stock at the moment, but the major parts and plans are available separately at the Replacement Parts link on same page.
Building using the major parts would also help meet one of stated goals of economy of construction.

If I needed an efficient and stable model UAV airplane, capable of slow flight, a flying wing planform would be my last choice. I'd choose a conventional configured powered sailplane design and never look back.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Welcome aboard RC Groups!

If I needed an efficient and stable model UAV airplane, capable of slow flight, a flying wing planform would be my last choice. I'd choose a conventional configured powered sailplane design and never look back.
hmm, interesting...i had not even considered a sailplane
to be honest i was looking at a big wing mostly for those first few months of manual flying, nothing says "imposing" like a giant mothership flying around, like this one
MotherShip giant flying wing (0 min 52 sec)

a smaller wing would work just as well for fun i suppose. that tek sumo off hobbyking looked pretty interesting.

The only downside to sailplanes i can see if that they're expensive kits, and scratch building looks very difficult due to the complexity of the wings
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:07 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
514 Posts
Have you ever flown a wing before? If not, just get something small like a Popwing and learn on that one. You can get around 60" wings for about $70, but they won't last very long at all.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
Have you ever flown a wing before? If not, just get something small like a Popwing and learn on that one. You can get around 60" wings for about $70, but they won't last very long at all.
i have...not actually flown a wing before, no.
i looked into those pop wings. oddly enough they come out almost exactly the same price as the hobby king bonsai's and tek sumo's after shipping. HK is cheap but damn that shipping yeesh

and yeah, i expected 60" wing kits for less than $150 would be super cheap and break immediately, which is why i asked for (maybe) plans instead. EPP would probably work best
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:21 PM
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
514 Posts
Here are a few helpful links.

flyingfoam.com
zagi.com
ritewingrc.com
trickrc.com

I made a big 84" EPS wing last year, and turned out to be crap because EPS is terrible, but all of the cores together were under $60 from flyingfoam. EPP is about $8 more per core, and is way better. The thread is somewhere...
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz View Post
Here are a few helpful links.

flyingfoam.com
zagi.com
ritewingrc.com
trickrc.com

I made a big 84" EPS wing last year, and turned out to be crap because EPS is terrible, but all of the cores together were under $60 from flyingfoam. EPP is about $8 more per core, and is way better. The thread is somewhere...
What covering did you use for your EPS cores?

Just curious because EPS covered with wood or fiberglass skins has been highly successful for over fifty years. It does not create a flexible type wing like one composed of EPP cores with a flexible skin though.

I agree with the quality of cores from Flying Foam, but have to note my experience was with the company before it was sold to the new owner.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:04 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,395 Posts
If you're looking for efficiency in a wing platform, I suspect you'd want to go with a planform similar to a ZeZe. The high aspect ratio allows for very efficient flying of the type you'd get from a conventional sailplane, and the rear motor gives you an unobstructed forward view for cameras and things. The only problem is that you'd have to build the airframe yourself since nobody really sells anything like this. Maybe that's not a big deal, but it does look like you're more interested in an ARF-type plane.

C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
As mentioned by C4H10, a high aspect ratio planform is usually more efficient. There are ways to have the same efficiency without the structural and aerodynamic penalties associated with aft swept chevron planforms. A high aspect ratio plank design like Plankenstein might be worth considering. With a high aspect plank of forward swept trailing edge design, conventional control arrangement of separate elevators and ailerons is possible, allowing advanced control mixing such as speed brake.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
If you're looking for efficiency in a wing platform, I suspect you'd want to go with a planform similar to a ZeZe. The high aspect ratio allows for very efficient flying of the type you'd get from a conventional sailplane, and the rear motor gives you an unobstructed forward view for cameras and things. The only problem is that you'd have to build the airframe yourself since nobody really sells anything like this. Maybe that's not a big deal, but it does look like you're more interested in an ARF-type plane.

Google search brought up this-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871832
Plankenstein gets a mention
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,251 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562220
Something similar,modify the pod?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2009
17 Posts
try a mother ship

try the mother ship from flyingfoam
https://www.flyingfoam.com/content/mother-ship-0
or for a stable platform nothing can beat a telemaster from hobbylobby
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemasters_216_ctg.htm
good flying
later
nich
flyingfrog50 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfrog50
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,251 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847954 #14 if shipping doesn't kill it.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2009
17 Posts
building skills

if your needing help building try the queen be
http://headrc.com/air/planes/foam/wing/WR-W996
the queen is slow and gentle platform
later nich
flyingfrog50 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfrog50
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evil genius
Australia, NSW, Macquarie Park
Joined Oct 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
hmm, interesting...i had not even considered a sailplane....The only downside to sailplanes i can see if that they're expensive kits, and scratch building looks very difficult due to the complexity of the wings
Try this. It's a copy of a 2m Goldberg Gentle Lady. Don't worry about the lack of ailerons; These sailplanes manoeuvre quite well on the rudder and elevator alone - you connect the rudder servo to the aileron channel on your receiver. The Gentle lady is almost 'free-flight-stable' meaning you can concentrate on navigating the model as distinct from flying it.
Bootstrapper is offline Find More Posts by Bootstrapper