HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2013
21 Posts
Build Log
DJI F450 build -- opinions wanted

So I have finally decided to buy my first quad copter and I went with the f450. I am having a hard time deciding on the final layout and where I want the parts to go. I am sure almost everyone has seen an F450 and most of them have their flight controller and receiver in the middle, battery on top and everything else filled in between.

I am thinking about attaching my naza on the top section with the GPS unit. Maybe try and put the battery in the middle section, possibly underneath (I don't have landing gear yet so this is doubtful).

Does anyone have an opinion they think would look cool?

The things I need to mount:
ESC (going under the arms)
Naza (location TBD)
Battery (location TBD)
Spectrum Receiver + satellite attachment (TBD)
Naza GPS (no place to put it other than the top)
GoPro (going on the front ledge)
bontaine15 is offline Find More Posts by bontaine15
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,291 Posts
The middle section is quite small once it is together. You could slide a battery in there but my 3S 3300 barely fit and I had to make a wooden tool to break the velcro grip to get it back out. You will laos have to consider flipping the power distribution board over making it easier to short the wiring on landing.

A cheap landing gear option is the landing gear set for a Trex-500. That will get you enough clearance to strap the battery to the bottom. I then put my AR8000 on the one wing of the bottom plate and the TM1000 on the other and my KK2 flight controller on the top plate in a delrin case. My wiring and BEC are in the center area between plates. Since I wasn't using the landing skegs on the arms anymore, I cut them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontaine15 View Post
So I have finally decided to buy my first quad copter and I went with the f450. I am having a hard time deciding on the final layout and where I want the parts to go. I am sure almost everyone has seen an F450 and most of them have their flight controller and receiver in the middle, battery on top and everything else filled in between.

I am thinking about attaching my naza on the top section with the GPS unit. Maybe try and put the battery in the middle section, possibly underneath (I don't have landing gear yet so this is doubtful).

Does anyone have an opinion they think would look cool?

The things I need to mount:
ESC (going under the arms)
Naza (location TBD)
Battery (location TBD)
Spectrum Receiver + satellite attachment (TBD)
Naza GPS (no place to put it other than the top)
GoPro (going on the front ledge)
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:46 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
i'm building mine at the moment too. motors just got delivered today so i should have more pictures up. you can look through the pics in my build log to give you ideas on where to place things. i have the battery IN the frame in the pictures, so aside from missing motors and props, the final pictures are basically "ready to fly" form, with everything already mounted.

i put esc's on the buttom of each arm with zip ties.
receiver on one of the protruding sides of the bottom plate, again, with zip ties
flight controller on the top, with zip ties (though this is bad because it exposes it to damage in wrecks, but you need FC's to be mounted close to center as possible)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853295
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
The middle section is quite small once it is together. You could slide a battery in there but my 3S 3300 barely fit and I had to make a wooden tool to break the velcro grip to get it back out. You will laos have to consider flipping the power distribution board over making it easier to short the wiring on landing.
I am planning on using liquid electrical tape and heat shrink on all open connections so nothing will be exposed. Also, I only have a 2650 3S lipo so do you think that would fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
i'm building mine at the moment too. motors just got delivered today so i should have more pictures up. you can look through the pics in my build log to give you ideas on where to place things. i have the battery IN the frame in the pictures, so aside from missing motors and props, the final pictures are basically "ready to fly" form, with everything already mounted.

i put esc's on the buttom of each arm with zip ties.
receiver on one of the protruding sides of the bottom plate, again, with zip ties
flight controller on the top, with zip ties (though this is bad because it exposes it to damage in wrecks, but you need FC's to be mounted close to center as possible)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853295
Hey, I have looked at your thread and it does not include any pictures of the battery inside the frame itself. Would you be able to send me one? Also what size battery do you have and is there enough room in there so its noot too crammed?
bontaine15 is offline Find More Posts by bontaine15
Last edited by bontaine15; Mar 18, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:03 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,291 Posts
That might fit better. I was trying a 3S 3300 and with the industrial velcro (like I use on Helis) it was a tight fit. Like I said, I had to make a tool that I could slide along the velcro to get the battery in an out because it would keep grabbing. Since I had some 500 sized Landing gear handy I went that way.

Quote:
I am planning on using liquid electrical tape and heat shrink on all open connections so nothing will be exposed. Also, I only have a 2650 3S lipo so do you think that would fit?
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:42 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:

Hey, I have looked at your thread and it does not include any pictures of the battery inside the frame itself. Would you be able to send me one? Also what size battery do you have and is there enough room in there so its noot too crammed?
the battery is actually in the frame in the two closeup pictures showing the completed top and one from the side where you can see the receiver, and you can also see it in the picture of the whole quad (last pic)

but, i just took three closeups of the battery for you. right now, i'm using a venom 3s 4000mah 25c battery. it fits easily. i ordered a 2700 mah gens ace 4s battery which i'll use once it gets here. (light and more power!)

as you can see, since i mounted the flight controller on the very top plate, the center of the bottom is open. i decided to put the battery through front to back so that the side parts that stick out on the bottom frame can be used to mount stuff (like the receiver)

hope this helps
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated