HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:57 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Build Log
Chaos 600 ESP build ***Complete w/ final thoughts added***

I started my Chaos 600 ESP build last night. This will be a sport flier until the scale 700 fuselage I want comes back in stock. I'm using the stock electronics that come with the kit, except for the ESC. Nothing wrong with the ESC of course; I'm just somewhat of a Castle snob so that's what I went with.

I've come across a few minor issues so far but no show-stoppers yet. My only real concern is what appears to be a wobble at the top of the main shaft. I can only hope that it's the head stopper that's not quite shaped right and not the main shaft that's bent. I'll know more once I get the motor installed and can spool it up. The build is going rather quickly.

Here are a few pics of the build so far.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike_Then; Apr 08, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
I have noticed a lot of the head stoppers are not perfectly centered .... I don't even have one on my 550... One thing you may notice is the canopy rubs on the ball links at the servos...
We have had to mod the canopy on a couple of my friends chaos's mine was a little different (earlier ver) and I had not problems at all. Let us know how it goes
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:36 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer1 View Post
I have noticed a lot of the head stoppers are not perfectly centered .... I don't even have one on my 550... One thing you may notice is the canopy rubs on the ball links at the servos...
We have had to mod the canopy on a couple of my friends chaos's mine was a little different (earlier ver) and I had not problems at all. Let us know how it goes
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about taking the head stopper from my T-Rex 600e and mounting it up there just to see if there's any difference. I don't mind it being not perfectly centered as long as it doesn't create a vibration issue. And thanks for the heads up about the canopy. I'm not scared of attacking it (gently) with a rotary tool to make room. I was going to use that white/blue canopy from my T-Rex 600e but I love the Chaos canopy with the skull on it. There are some minor cracks in the gel coating and a few chipped pieces but it's not a crisis. I understand it won't be perfect, especially for the price point that it sells at.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
Some of the canopies were and some weren't. I would balance everything out and run it without the stopper ... I think you should find that it will spool up nice and smooth. Let me know if have questions.
BTW I would put a FBL head on it and a beastx and forget about it....
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:07 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer1 View Post
Some of the canopies were and some weren't. I would balance everything out and run it without the stopper ... I think you should find that it will spool up nice and smooth. Let me know if have questions.
BTW I would put a FBL head on it and a beastx and forget about it....
Yeah I'm not too worried about the canopy... it's only going to be pod 'n boom for a short time anyway. I actually prefer flybarred helis; some may call me strange. I do realize that flybarred helis are a dying breed as it's getting harder and harder to find one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:44 AM
United States, MI, Schoolcraft
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
That plastic block you had left over can be used to mount your elevator servo on the inside of your frame by mounting it on the left side frame looking at the heli from the rear. Mounting that servo there will line up the servo horn with the elevator arm and it's not sticking out of the frame on the other side. This also helps to protect the servo in a crash.
glmonroebbs is online now Find More Posts by glmonroebbs
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmonroebbs View Post
That plastic block you had left over can be used to mount your elevator servo on the inside of your frame by mounting it on the left side frame looking at the heli from the rear. Mounting that servo there will line up the servo horn with the elevator arm and it's not sticking out of the frame on the other side. This also helps to protect the servo in a crash.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably leave it the way it is for now. I still have to line up the pushrods and the servo horn wheels. I'm thinking I might have the arms that mount to the frame (I forget what they are called) upside down. I really need to look at my T-Rex 600e to compare how I have it set up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,143 Posts
I'll check my pushrods , yours don't look right. I thought the ball links need to be outside .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Mike Then : You are correct. On my 600e i had the ball joints on the inside as well. Like you said it's a better fit and relieves any unnecessary pressure.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,143 Posts
The round horns wont work , they will bind . You need to use the strait arms. I knew it didn't look right
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; May 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
delete
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Mar 27, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:23 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I had a heck of a time last night mounting the servos and getting the arms straight but it got it worked out. I couldn't make it like yours, jombo, because my arms are different. Yours are the arms that are specified in the manual; mine are the funky triangular-shaped arms that are like the ones on my T-Rex 600. I peeked inside the fuselage where the T-Rex 600 is mounted as well as referred to the Align manual. I also had to get creative with the mounting of the elevator servo. Pics of last night's progress is below. I'm hoping to do more today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:15 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Made good progress yesterday. I moved the elevator servo around per the suggestion of a poster on the Chaos discussion forum. It's a better fit then the way I had it but I had to retro-fit it to get it mounted that way. I also assembled the tail boom and mounted it to the frame. Pics are below.
RCG Plus Member