HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
Video of me testing out the phantom's rth

I knew it would have to be tested one day or I would always wonder, so another member on here that I met thanks to the forum ( daronj ) and I decided to see what happens. This was a video of our results...

DJI Phantom RTH (Return To Home) Failsafe Test (1080P HD) (2 min 14 sec)
Perfdavid is offline Find More Posts by Perfdavid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,195 Posts
Did it decend and power down automatically? Hard to see if controller was on at the end.

So... Now take it way out there and up a couple 100' and try again
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Did it decend and power down automatically? Hard to see if controller was on at the end.

So... Now take it way out there and up a couple 100' and try again
The controller was never turned back on after I cut it off. The phantom did everything itself. I would have no problem taking it out of transmitter range and letting it do the rth. Afterall, thats why it was designed.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
I want to try this so bad..but I'm afraid.
I plan on doing 5 batteries worth of flying tomorrow, and I know I'll have a small audience at this park I'm going to. I want to freak the people out by turning off the TX and then putting it down, and then looking around in the backpack or talking to people as my Phantom just comes home.
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaskan View Post
I plan on doing 5 batteries worth of flying tomorrow, and I know I'll have a small audience at this park I'm going to. I want to freak the people out by turning off the TX and then putting it down, and then looking around in the backpack or talking to people as my Phantom just comes home.
Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant idea when you're testing a safety feature around a group of onlookers. A+ all around.
pantherqs is offline Find More Posts by pantherqs
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherqs View Post
Yeah, that sounds like a brilliant idea when you're testing a safety feature around a group of onlookers. A+ all around.
such is the future of this hobby with RTF quads...
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Quote:
You can see in the video that the phantom doesnt come down in exactly the same place it took off from. I think you would want to let everyone know that you were not in control and to watch out.
unit311 is offline Find More Posts by unit311
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit311 View Post
You can see in the video that the phantom doesnt come down in exactly the same place it took off from. I think you would want to let everyone know that you were not in control and to watch out.
Exactly. The return home works, that is what I was solely trying to demonstrate. It isn't exact so one needs to be safe. It is just a nice feature to have so one won't lose their quad when the unexpected happens.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:36 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherqs View Post
Simmer down slim.. of course I wouldn't do that around people the very first time I tried it.. good sweet christ..
I thought it went without saying. It was the latter idea of what could be done vs the idea of doing it for the very first time.

Maybe I should've spelled that out for some of the crowd.
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Simmer down slim.. of course I wouldn't do that around people the very first time I tried it.. good sweet christ..
I thought it went without saying. It was the latter idea of what could be done vs the idea of doing it for the very first time.

Maybe I should've spelled that out for some of the crowd.
Here, let me spell out exactly what you said:

"I want to freak the people out by turning off the TX and then putting it down, and then looking around in the backpack or talking to people as my Phantom just comes home."

Let that sink in.
pantherqs is offline Find More Posts by pantherqs