HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
511 Posts
Help!
Identify This Boat

Hi Guys
My pal Richie purchased this project at the Perry, GA swap meet. Can anyone tell us what we have? Hull and many parts are vacuum formed. Twin screw.
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:15 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,661 Posts
It's a Dumas American Enterprise built from a kit that is still available.

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined May 2012
78 Posts
Yep +1 on that.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=356

GSPI is offline Find More Posts by GSPI
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,684 Posts
I don’t think the model is of a DUMAS “AMERICAN ENTERPRISE”, since he mentioned that many of the parts were VAC formed, which the hull also looks to be VAC formed. If so the model is of the ORNKEY EXPRESS, by GRAUPNER and was sold thru HOBBY LOBBY INTERNATIONAL.

The DUMAS “AMERICAN ENTERPRISE” was an all wood kit, hull, deck, and superstructure. It is still available thru DUMAS PRODUCTS in their discontinued model boats section.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined May 2012
78 Posts
I have to wonder if this is some type of hybrid?

The Orkney Express had vacuum formed upper decks, hull etc. and this unidentified one does not have all of the same shapes as that of the Robbe Orkney Express as seen in these photos:

Here is someone that was building the Orkney Express:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805274

and you can see the upper deck and cabins not having the distinct cutouts like on the unidentified model. The American Enterprise does not have the smooth vacuum formed cabin but one that has cutouts for the bridge windscreen and portals.

So now we have a mystery... I wonder if someone had a Dumas American Enterprise and didn't want to build the hull and found a spare hull and miscellaneous parts from the Orkney? I think the Robbe Orkney also had propeller tunnels too at the stern molded into the hull but the unidentified hull seems to have a standard drive configuration like the Dumas American Enterprise. Strange.
GSPI is offline Find More Posts by GSPI