HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
Beginners EDF Jets?

Hi guys-

Whats a good stable platform to learn to fly on? I'd like something thats ready out of the box and doesn't cost an arm and a leg as I know it will be crashed a few times as I get a hold of it all.

Your thoughts?
striker01 is offline Find More Posts by striker01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker01 View Post
Hi guys-

Whats a good stable platform to learn to fly on? I'd like something thats ready out of the box and doesn't cost an arm and a leg as I know it will be crashed a few times as I get a hold of it all.

Your thoughts?
It's a predictable response but I say Parkzone Habu. If you feel the cost is too steep, see if you can find one used even if the foam is a little beat up.

I've read that the little 64mm FMS planes are also ok since you can belly land them. I personally like touch-and-gos on a paved runway with a jet.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Do you have any sort of flying experience? Or is this your first attempt at flying an RC plane?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Whats a good stable platform to learn to fly on?
Not a jet.

You're going to need a slow-flying, high wing trainer. Like the HobbyZone Super Cub or similar.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Yes,i agree with learning on a slow,high wing trainer type plane. I am self taught and it has taken a good couple of years of crashes and expense to get to the stage of edfs . Its up to you but starting with the right aircraft will pay in the long run.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Last edited by autoquip; Mar 15, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spell check
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Never flown an RC before. I understand the basics of how the controls work, not that this counts for much but i've played lots of airplane sim games so the basics are there but real life is different esp on a RC
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:58 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Striker,

As you'll soon learn with the responses that will come after this; many will pooh-pooh the idea of starting with an EDF. I won't. I flew a Super Cub 1 time for a total of 3 minutes (literally) and an hour of Sim time on an iPad app before I flew my first 50mm EDF. As long as you know orientation and correct inputs when it's flying at you vs. away from you, it's possible. Your first flight will be thrilling actually. That said, expect to total your first plane as you learn. Then, learn from what caused it. Pilot error or mechanical set up ( like reversed servos, loose control hinge, etc).

Again, a lot of other EDF fliers will no doubt quote this post and tell you how dumb I am.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:01 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Do they still sell Parkzone Strykers? Not an EDF but it's similar and fairly easy to fly. Also has a good speed envelope so you can slow it down while you get the hang of it. A fast, small jet can be a handful. All the sim time you can get will be helpful.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
Striker,

As you'll soon learn with the responses that will come after this; many will pooh-pooh the idea of starting with an EDF. I won't. I flew a Super Cub 1 time for a total of 3 minutes (literally) and an hour of Sim time on an iPad app before I flew my first 50mm EDF. As long as you know orientation and correct inputs when it's flying at you vs. away from you, it's possible. Your first flight will be thrilling actually. That said, expect to total your first plane as you learn. Then, learn from what caused it. Pilot error or mechanical set up ( like reversed servos, loose control hinge, etc).

Again, a lot of other EDF fliers will no doubt quote this post and tell you how dumb I am.
Haha thanks for the advice, and yes, you're bang on man.

If you have any suggestions, plz let me know
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:02 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker01 View Post
Haha thanks for the advice, and yes, you're bang on man.

If you have any suggestions, plz let me know
I guess it depends if you're serious about getting into the hobby or just want to dabble. If you want to give yourself the best chance for success and enjoyment, get a decent Tx (i have your typical Spektrum DX6i) and a couple Rx's (Orange Rx 6 channel are my first choice or EDFs).

Lesson 2, don't bother buying any EDF over 50mm. All these really cool looking jets you see with thrust vectoring, retracts, flaps, lights, etc. look great. But when you scratch the surface and peer into any of these threads on here discussing them, you'll see that every single one of these features are junk, break within the first few flights, or actually cause a catastrophic crash. Flushing your $200-$400 cool looking edf down the toilet. Also, 50mm EDFs are faster, easier to fly, land, and are as expensive as a tank of premium gasoline ($60-$100).

That said, I have no interest in BS'ing anybody or give you inaccurate advice. I bought a banana hobby 50mm F-16 w/ gyro, bought their sh*tty LiPo battery they "recommend" and glued it all together. Honestly, building these planes is essential in understanding how they work. I took the time to set up the plane and gyro correctly, with the correct Center of Gravity (By FAR the most important detail to nail), servo's centered, horns and push rods secure, etc.

I should actually stop and tell you another key point. Tied with first in "most important" is understanding the correct wing/rudder/elevator movements translate into direction of your plane. And, how a gyro moves those surfaces to counter pitch/roll/yaw........ Time to come clean with you all, my very first edf was a mini F-18 that i set up with a first graders knowledge of RC flying and little to no research on how to set it up. Which translated into my brand new F-18 blowing up into five pieces approximately 5-8 seconds after hand launching it. Because, my lack of experience led me to set up the gyro so it magnified the pitch/roll/yaw of my airplane.... Oh, and then in a moment of anger, I posted on here how these planes were garbage and a waste of money. Hahaha.. Total Noob Move. Like I said, expect to total your first plane at some point.

Back to the F-16 (my redemption EDF).. After I actually took the time to research the forums, youtube, and google search endlessly. I took my correctly setup F-16 to a soccer field with my wife, who was eager to capture my next total failure on video with her iPhone. (so she could tell me "dont waste any more money.").... So me and my 3min 10sec of total real world flight experience plugged in the Lipo, concentrated on tossing it into the wind (with a toss like you would with a dart: level but with authority) and throttled it up to 75% throttle.

As soon as it left my hand I was expecting it to roll inverted and bomb into the ground like my F-18 did. However, When the thing actually took off straight and started flying away level (thank you Mr. Gyro) I was so surprised I almost didn't know what to do. But I quickly realized flying the gyro assisted F-16 was the same as flying my $2 Flight Sim iPad app. Success bro. Success. With Zero Experience.

Every RC pilot has a story like mine. The thrill of success leads to the addiction we all share in this website. Once your addicted, you'll dive into every aspect of the hobby: learn everything you can about LiPo batteries, ESC's, C ratings, power systems, blah blah blah.

So in a nutshell, I recommend the banana hobby (BlitzRC/Sky Angel) mini F-16 with Gyro.

I now own 6 EDFs and my good old Super Cub that I still only have 3min. of total flight time on.

Good luck Young Skywalker.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'll look into that f16!

To answer your question, I wanna get into this very casually and see how I like it. A pre made already good to fly in the would be ideal, and foam of course. If I like it, I won't be afraid to spend the cash just wanna get started cheaply!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:18 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I've made this recommendation before... If you really want to start with an EDF, the Hobby King F-4d-1 Skyray with it's stock setup is super easy to fly, and being all wing, can fly REALLY slow. As a matter of fact, stock, it will barely fly faster than a HZ SuperCub. (I tried!) I've always flown with gear, but I understand it's a very easy hand-launcher if desired, due to the low speed handling. I'm sure it would be easier to launch than a Phase3 EF-16. Then it's an easy one to upgrade the power system when you're ready. Mine is now on 4 cell, not near the proverbial 100mph , but still fairly quick. has strong vertical, and still almost hovers to a landing. I guess the only thing holding people back is the love it or hate it looks. Personally, I love early cold war jets, so this was a no-brainer. And all for under $100. Well, maybe a bit more with shipping.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:27 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
And get some video. pleeeeeease!!!

Those beginner/EDF vids are the best.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Hahaha I just may! Keep the recommendations coming guys!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I think the stryker is a good plane to get used to prior to getting an edf. My opinion is that if you start with a high wing trainer and something aerobatic after your chance of success greatly increases. The reason everyone recommends staying away from edfs at first is because they can be very difficult. When you begin full scale flight training the first airplane you fly is not complex or high performance for a reason. Just like I started flying Cessna 152's 13 years ago and now I fly king air and citations. Same with RC when I was 12 I started with high wing trainers, wrecked a ton of airplanes and finally moved to aerobatic planes once I got comfortable, then the free wing F-18 for my first jet. I have been flying half of my life and still have wrecks albeit not that often. The best training tool is real flight or another PC simulator. This should help with orientation of the craft as it flies through the pattern. Find a local flying club and join, learn from those who already fly. Do what you want its your money, just don't endanger others in the process
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach