HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:32 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
728 Posts
Question
Parkzone gear

Hi, all. I keep hearing that you should not put parkzone ember/vapor gear into anything over 18" wingspan. Is that because of weight, wing area, drag or something else? Thanks in advance.

-RPM
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM314 View Post
Hi, all. I keep hearing that you should not put parkzone ember/vapor gear into anything over 18" wingspan. Is that because of weight, wing area, drag or something else? Thanks in advance.

-RPM
Yes....

Basically, you only have so much power available, on the motor, as well as the servos.... You can put it in whatever size plane you want, but anything bigger than about that size might not fly, or fly very poorly...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:29 AM
Punch it, Chewie.
Joined Apr 2012
728 Posts
Which option are you saying 'yes' to, though?

Usually power loading is dictated by weight, but the wingspan rule suggests area. But the area can remain the same while span fluctuates. So it could be a matter of induced drag, but that makes no sense.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:44 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
It's primarily a matter of weight, both power loading and wing loading.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:06 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Which option are you saying 'yes' to, though?

Usually power loading is dictated by weight, but the wingspan rule suggests area. But the area can remain the same while span fluctuates. So it could be a matter of induced drag, but that makes no sense.
all of them bigger wingspan generally his higher weight as well as more wing area and more drag.... obviously that's not a hard and fast rule, just like anything over 18" wont automatically fly poorly with the brick. Multiple factors come into play, including all the ones you listed. Use common sense, keep the weight around an ounce, and if using a high drag airframe, keep it smaller than you would with something more slippery....
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:25 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
Joined Apr 2012
728 Posts
You think something like this might work reasonably well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I have vapor receiver but the motor was MO low power motor and gearing 8 to 1 for a Robelan "Walker". Flies fine but no rog. It is bi plane and the wing span is 23 inches. Total weight about 32 grams. It is rudder and throttle.

John
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
about 50 grams AUW is what was the limit of stock for me. the ar6400 with an external ESC opens up alot of ideas. once you add a bigger servo for he alierons (i used hk 2.0 gram servo) you can fly bigger planes. twin stock motors with gws 5030 will net you close to 100 grams static thrust. iv flown 28 inch slow trainers on the ar6400t gear.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,958 Posts
Quote:
You think something like this might work reasonably well?
it sure looks light, but its tough to say, with so much wood, i bet its closer to 2 ounces than 1.... My gut says it will work OK, but not great. If you try it, definitely build it lighter than the plans specify, it actually takes a stronger model to deal with rubber band power than slow fly R/C.....
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Punch it, Chewie.
Joined Apr 2012
728 Posts
Gotcha. I'll see what I can do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Ember II / Vapor Bricks only have a 1 amp ESC. 1 amp ESC's mean a 6mm motor. the hottest 6mm (J-3 Cub) will fly about a 40g plane. If you are light with the throttle, you can get away with a Champ wind 8.4mm motor. This will fly 45 g with a Champ motor/gearbox, but you are at the amp limits (if not a little over).

A mustang motor that will fly 55g planes needs a 2 amp esc or the plane will cut out, which sucks. I've built a few of these and just when you are enjoying it, you have a glider.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:27 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
For another data point: I have been flying one of my Ember II's since 2009 with a 7mm motor, 4 to 1 gear box from Hobby King, and GWS4530 prop. No problem with the ESC handling the amperage. As the SS blue and red motors became warn I replaced them with Flyzone motors from the Albatros, Super Cub, etc. These have rpm comparable to the SS blue.

Flew this Ember biplane again this morning before the sun rose within the fog!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Mar 16, 2013 at 01:34 PM.