SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by denib3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Wanted
Trainer

Looking for a Super Cub, or Apprentice...a Glassair Sportsman would be awesome but out of my just staring out budget. Can be an ugly beat up plain as long as it flys.
Let me know what you have, I really want to get something up in the air soon
Steve
denib3 is offline Find More Posts by denib3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:35 PM
Frozen Fingers
United States, VT, Morristown
Joined Nov 2012
213 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
The apprentice is on sale for $240 plus $15 for over sized shipping. Still spendy. Super cubs are cheapish on feebay. About $100 shipped. Cheaper if you buy one with a bad esc and supply your own.
strokeracevt is offline Find More Posts by strokeracevt
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Thanks for the info, ill be checking out ebay
Steve
denib3 is offline Find More Posts by denib3
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by denib3 View Post
Looking for a Super Cub, or Apprentice...a Glassair Sportsman would be awesome but out of my just staring out budget. Can be an ugly beat up plain as long as it flys.
Let me know what you have, I really want to get something up in the air soon
Steve
Don't have what you need but two suggestions.

Skip the Cubs and go for the Apprentice. Cubs -can- be docile but do have quirks. Apprentice is -designed- to be a trainer. It will grant you forgiveness for a mistake where a cub may scold you or throw a tantrum. I have seen more people learn from the ground up (literally and figuratively) very quickly with Apprentice than anything else.

I'm the biggest fan in the world of 'recycling' model planes. The caveat though is that a used plane may/will have problems that are not obvious to the inexperienced eye. Even a brand new RTF can't be taken at face value and needs to be reviewed before a first flight. (There are whole threads about just that here in RCG.) So, after you think you've got it right you really should have a much more experienced pilot check it out and maybe even do a flight to make sure. 'Static' trim (on the ground) and flight trim (after there's no turning back) are often two **completely** different things. A badly trimmed plane takes fast-quick-accurate reflexes, which you don't have yet, to handle it and trim it, and preferably get it back down on the ground for adjustments.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk