HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
my phantom has issues

whats wrong with my phantom dji? (0 min 21 sec)
- whenever it starts to take off it tilts then when its up in the air it start to violently rotates as you seen in the video. all stock except new batteries. props are balanced. thanks guys
silvermirage01 is offline Find More Posts by silvermirage01
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:49 AM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,499 Posts
im a newbie so all i can offer is

1 download the Quick start manual and the advanced manual from the DJI website...you will need to refer to for the calibrations needed from time to time
2. make sure your props are on correctly /are tight and are spinning the correct direction
3 calibrate your compass
4 connect up to the Naza Assistant software and do an advanced calibration of the IMU
5 Calibrate your transmitter as outlined in the manual

i suspect no 5 may be the cause of this, but as i said im a newbie so hopefully someone more experienced can add to this.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:49 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermirage01 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bkV-NyLLw - whenever it starts to take off it tilts then when its up in the air it start to violently rotates as you seen in the video. all stock except new batteries. props are balanced. thanks guys
Do these checkings:
1) Propellers have a specific position / rotation. Verify each one according to labels on phantom hull and propeller top. Also can read Quick and Advanced Manual to check.
2) Naza assistant. download and install Driver and Software in Windows PC. Connect Phantom to PC via USB port and make a Basic IMU calibration. Also verify / calibrate TX with all your control sticks get correct move in Assistant.
3) in every place you flight MUST do a Compass calibration.
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:37 AM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
804 Posts
Silver you need to connect to Naza assistant and select Mixer Type Quad Motor X "the one with 4 propellers"

Your mixer type seems not set which is why it's flying so crazy. Mine did the same before and I fixed it easily by setting it.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Apr 03, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,199 Posts
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:16 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2007
182 Posts
A Statue and Some Trains (7 min 4 sec)
t-rexn8 is offline Find More Posts by t-rexn8
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, CO, Steamboat Springs
Joined Mar 2013
83 Posts
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBroody View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDarhh_XE0

Here's my contribution - also, incidentally my first ever Aerial Vid with the phantom

Details:
Quad: Full stock DJI Phantom
Cam: GoPro Hero3 Black Edition
Mount: Stock mount, with a bit of foam sandwiched between the mount & body.
Settings: 720p @ 60fps
Stabilized using Mercalli & Edited with Vegas Pro

Wow! Interesting location and smooth flying. Well done!
Swyft is offline Find More Posts by Swyft
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Mar 2013
21 Posts
Great videos, thanks for sharing them. I just got my Phantom yesterday and I am waiting on delivery of a GoPro3B. Amazing videos you folks have here, keep up the good work.
UFCelt is offline Find More Posts by UFCelt
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:51 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Another Desert funfly - all stock Phantom + Balanced Propellers. Shot in 2.7K on the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition, stabilized and then scaled down to 1080p for upload.

Flying the GoPro Hero3 Black @ Fossil Rock, UAE - Part 2 (2 min 29 sec)
McBroody is offline Find More Posts by McBroody
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
McBroody you've certainly got an interesting location with your desert footage at least for me being from Canada we've got nothing like that really...however we do have a pretty vast amount of fresh water and that's often where I fly.

Here's my latest video which is also one of the best in terms of stablility due entirely to light winds. It has been a pretty horrid spring here in Ontario with a lot of windy days, cold temperatures and prolonged snow. Usually by this time in April the snow has melted away and temperatures are hitting double digits regularly. As you can see in the video there is still snow and the day in particular was only about 5 degrees celcius.

I also had planned out some of my flying thinking ahead to the edit I wanted and it worked out not to bad even though this is LOS flying and you never know for sure what you might be capturing that way.

Little Cove Tobermory From the Air (1 min 28 sec)
jamesdrone is offline Find More Posts by jamesdrone
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:13 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
@jamesdrone - I've got a case of the "grass being greener" / "snow being whiter" right now. I grew up in Dubai, so haven't seen snow in years - or fresh water lakes for that matter!!

Loved the footage, especially the low-views of the shoreline. Did you stabilize your's in post?

I'm smack in the middle of starting up an AP firm here, probably based on DJI / Cinestar tech. (budget permitting) Will also be ordering the Phantom Gimbal that DJI's releasing, so will hopefully have better Phantom videos up in the coming weeks.
McBroody is offline Find More Posts by McBroody
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
McBroody...of course we all get bored with our own surroundings after living in them on a daily basis Great to see videos like yours that are so different from my usual stomping grounds. Nothing was stabilized in post, just a very calm day and some relatively slow smooth flying. One shot was slowed down 50% but only because I wanted a slower pan rather than to smooth out the video.

Good luck with your enterprise, I'm a freelance and stock videographer myself but this whole aerial photography/videography thing is just a tangent for me for the foreseeable future...too many ways to spend money. Having said that I too am grabbing the Zenmuse GoPro gimbal, preordered from UAVproducts to get one earlier rather than later.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2013
55 Posts
My Favorite moments with DJI Phantom

Some of my favorite moments with this great quadcopter!
I hope that you people like this

My Favorite Moments With DJI Phantom w. GoPro HERO3 - Onboard video (4 min 6 sec)
pexi1982 is offline Find More Posts by pexi1982
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Fun flying pexi1982...I imagine you may have replaced a few props over the course of your flights?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2013
55 Posts
I have been lucky. Phantom is in good condition, no props damage
pexi1982 is offline Find More Posts by pexi1982