SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:15 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom Video Thread - your tests, greatest flights, mishaps

Opened up this new thread in hopes that people will link their best works flying their DJI Phantom quads with onboard videos. These can be line of sight, fpv or whatever shows the potential and creativity that this little quad can produce.

To get it started I humbly submit one of my videos and encourage everyone to post their own. Keep it fun and friendly!

DJI Phantom Over Tobermory Test 2 (2 min 9 sec)
jamesdrone is offline Find More Posts by jamesdrone
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,323 Posts
This was line of sight, no gimbal...

woodward-park (4 min 17 sec)
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Looks so nice and warm there! I've had cold hands on every flight so far being up here in Canada....spring can't come soon enough. Good video, nice smooth movements. I'm also flying without gimbal and LOS on a stock Phantom (balanced props).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:02 PM
New Boy
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
These are my latest Videos.
Very pleased with the results

Filmed with DJI Phantom , GOPRO Hero3 Black , LOS , No gimbal , My own sorbothane isolation mount (no jello) , balanced props (standard).
1080p , 60fps , 15% post stabilization , edited with CyberLink PowerDirector 11.
In The Mist , Squabmoor Reservoir , Exmouth , Devon (5 min 28 sec)

Maer Rocks , Exmouth , Devon (8 min 3 sec)

Filmed with DJI Phantom , GOPRO Hero3 Black , LOS , No gimbal , My own sorbothane isolation mount (no jello) , balanced props (standard).
1080p , 60fps , 30% post stabilization (as quite windy) , edited with CyberLink PowerDirector 11.

Exmouth Lifeboat Station , Devon (4 min 22 sec)

You can see the rest of my videos on my blog.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=455760
R1CH is offline Find More Posts by R1CH
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Good collection so far! I'll add my own to the list

When I first got it:
DJI Phantom Quad and Hero3 (0 min 40 sec)

FPV flying from a dock - GoPro Hero3 - Dji Phantom - 2.7k - Tilt axis gimbal (6 min 0 sec)

Phantom Practice - FPV - DJI Phantom - GoPro Hero3 - 2.7k - Tilt Gimbal - Isolation Mount (13 min 22 sec)

Sunrise FPV Flying - Dji Phantom - GoPro Hero3 - 2.7k - DIY Tilit axis gimbal - Warp Stabilized (5 min 22 sec)
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:55 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Great stuff guys. I like how R1CH is using the Phantom as a way to present scenic areas and aerial perspectives of various places. FITandFUEL it's cool that you are experimenting in utilizing the phantom as a photographic tool to capture both action and scenery and exploring the bounds of what can be captured with a quad.

Really each of your videos is a great showcase of both talent and creativity.

Keep em coming!

I was hoping to put up a new video I shot flying over and below a local waterfall and I still might but since I currently fly LOS many of the angles I thought I was getting were not as well framed as I had hoped. It was nerve wracking though flying out over and below an icy waterfall because if I screwed up there would be no retrevial. Maybe I'll just render out the entire flight for interest sake.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
New Boy
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Thanks jamesdrone.
I look forward to watching the waterfall footage.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CH View Post
I look forward to watching the waterfall footage.
Here is my flight over Inglis Falls in it's entirety. I have to say it was the most frightening flight I have done yet as if there was any mishap I would have lost both quad and camera.

I was hoping for better shots of the falls from more centered angles and a wider shot than what I got but chalk it up to learning both the limits of the cam and flying LOS.

Quad was in GPS mode as I had to deal with a fair amount of turbulent air around the falls and did not want to risk drifting much. GoPro Black was shooting in 720p 120fps mode as I was hoping to slow down certain footage in post but without the framing I was hoping for it was a bit of a moot point.

Inglis Falls Full Flight DJI Phantom (5 min 12 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
New Boy
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdrone View Post
Here is my flight over Inglis Falls in it's entirety. I have to say it was the most frightening flight I have done yet as if there was any mishap I would have lost both quad and camera.

I was hoping for better shots of the falls from more centered angles and a wider shot than what I got but chalk it up to learning both the limits of the cam and flying LOS.

Quad was in GPS mode as I had to deal with a fair amount of turbulent air around the falls and did not want to risk drifting much. GoPro Black was shooting in 720p 120fps mode as I was hoping to slow down certain footage in post but without the framing I was hoping for it was a bit of a moot point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gzhq...ature=youtu.be
Awesome location.

I see what you mean when you say "any mishap I would have lost both quad and camera".
Do the falls go underground , or do they go under the layer of snow and ice?
It is hard to get the perfect shot when flying LOS. I fly LOS and always hope that I have done enough to get some good shots.
Thought you were going to cut yourself in half at the end
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CH View Post
Thought you were going to cut yourself in half at the end
little wind shift there but all was copacetic.

It's just ice buildup that the falls go under during the winter. I'll be back after it melts off too to try some shots then...assuming it ever gets warm here again in Ontario...

Which mode do you prefer shooting in R1CH? 1080, 2.7k, 720, wide medium narrow?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:05 PM
New Boy
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdrone View Post
little wind shift there but all was copacetic.

It's just ice buildup that the falls go under during the winter. I'll be back after it melts off too to try some shots then...assuming it ever gets warm here again in Ontario...

Which mode do you prefer shooting in R1CH? 1080, 2.7k, 720, wide medium narrow?
I use 1080p , 60fps , medium

I don't get any jello at these settings.

I may try 2.7k tomorrow and see how that works out.

Planning on going on a little trip tomorrow around a few land marks.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:27 PM
New Boy
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Dartmoor National Park

Spent the morning at Dartmoor National Park , Devon , England , UK.

Dartmoor is an area of moorland in south Devon, England. Protected by National Park status, it covers 954 square kilometres. The granite upland dates from the Carboniferous period of geological history.

Dartmoor (11 min 48 sec)

Filmed with DJI Phantom and GOPRO Hero3 Black camera. Own Sorbothane no jello mount.
1080p , 60fps , 50% Post stabilization , due to wind on Haytor and a defective motor causing stability issues. The issues were only discovered in editing. The motor has now been replaced.
Had to cheat a little in Lydford Castle and film some sections by hand as it affected the Phantom, making it very hard to control. I'm guessing there was a large amount of magnetism present that was affecting the compass. Once outside in the open it was fine again , but as soon as I flew close over the Castle it would start getting erratic again.
Thanks for watching , hope you enjoy it.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Maiden F550/800 flight

It has been snowing all day so the Maiden flight was indoors.
You have to really trust your DJI products to do your first flight inside.

I just got a late outside flight in and as I suspected the small amount of wobble is its own turbulence. It does good right after take off until the air gets stirred up. Outside flight is as smooth as glass.

Didn't take it too far out until I get my navigation LEDs in.

DJI F800 maiden indoor flight. (5 min 12 sec)
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Mar 24, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
It has been snowing all day so the Maiden flight was indoors.
You have to really trust your DJI products to do your first flight inside.

I just got a late outside flight in and as I suspected the small amount of wobble is its own turbulence. It does good right after take off until the air gets stirred up. Outside flight is as smooth as glass.

Didn't take it too far out until I get my navigation LEDs in.

http://youtu.be/Fy-4Ko2QpGs
f800? is that the f450/f550 center plate with s800 arms? never heard of that but i'm intrigued

EDIT: nevermind lol, it's the name of the rctimer clone of the s800. figures
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Last edited by serrated; Mar 24, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:21 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2007
182 Posts
FPV Flight at the Skate/ Bike Park.
Phantom at the Bike/ Skate Park FPV (6 min 42 sec)

Another flight at a different park testing my own simple isolation mount. Super simple and no jello.
Phantom at the Sports Park, WIndy Day (7 min 12 sec)
t-rexn8 is online now Find More Posts by t-rexn8