HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARF Review

A review of the Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs by a semi-beginner heli pilot. Can the TT Mini Titan be a good stepping stone? Let's find out!

Splash

Introduction

Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs
Fuselage Length:25.2 in (640 mm)
Height:8.2 in (209 mm)
Width:4.7 in (120 mm)
Main Rotor Blade Length:12.8 in (325 mm)
Main Rotor Diameter:29 in (745 mm)
Tail Rotor Diameter:6 in (156 mm)
Motor Pinion:13T (standard)
Weight (Ready to Fly)1.6 lb (725 g)
Available From:Great Planes Retailer

For many people, RC helicopters have been somewhat of a mystery for a long time. The complex mechanical set-up and radio programming seem very confusing and can keep beginners away from what can be a very rewarding hobby. In the past few years, the influx of small Ready To Fly helicopters have introduced many people to the hobby and have put the heli bug into them. But going from a RTF helicopter to your first ARF or even kit machine can be a bit daunting. Thunder Tiger has a solution to this gap with the Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs. This flybarless brushless helicopter is pre-set up from the factory and with minimal assembly and programming, it can help the beginner/intermediate RC helicopter pilot get into the air while teaching some of the required basics in regard to assembly, mechanics, and radio programming.

I'd like to preface this review by saying that I have been an RC airplane pilot for many years but I have not flown many helicopters at all (at least successfully). Prior to this review, I spent quite a bit of time flying several RTF coaxial and fixed pitch helicopters and I spent considerable time on Real Flight practicing hovering and forward flight. The simulator time alone was worth every second as the "reset button" is much simpler than rebuilding the kit. I cannot encourage a would-be RC helicopter pilot enought to first invest in a simulator. This will save a considerable amount of money and potentially keep the pilot interested in the hobby as I can guarantee a much higher level of success if simulator time is put in first!

What's In The Box?

This is a very complete ARF model. Besides a transmitter and receiver, you have everything you need to get into the air! Add to this carbon fiber main blades, a flybarless rotor head, an OLED gyro and a flashy canopy. What is not to like about this helicopter? NOTHING! This machine made me feel like a pro as soon as it was assembled. The entire rig looks pro, and although that might not be the deciding factor for some, for me it's a huge bonus. I love a good looking rig!

The Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs is a very complete ARF. Everything you would need to get into the air is included in the box except a radio transmitter and receiver.

The Box Contains:

• 95% pre-assembled Airframe
  • Upgraded ABS canopy
  • Ace 3500 kV brushless motor installed
  • Ace BLC-40 40A Brushless ESC installed
  • GT5.1 flybarless gyro (installed and programed)
  • DC Series micro digital servos installed
  • Injection molded flybarless main rotor grips
  • 325mm carbon fiber main blades included
  • Metal rotor hub
  • 1-piece plastic main frame
  • 3S 2200mAh battery and 3S charger

Assembly

The Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs comes 95% assembled. And I mean assembled. I tried a few of the screws and they were loc-tited already. I literally pulled the frame parts out of the box, slid on the boom screwed it down, attached the two boom supports and the machine was pretty much assembled. I think in total I spent twenty minutes reading the manual and five minutes assembling the machine.

Programming

Once the machine was assembled I mounted the Futaba R7008SB HV Receiver which was bound to the Futaba T14SG radio I am using for the review.

Thunder Tiger provides a very thorough manual to assist with the set up of your helicopter. The manual breaks down several popular brands of Radios and tells you exactly where to plug your receiver inputs into the gyro for each manufacturer. What makes this ARF heli stand out form the crowd is that the GT5.1 gyro is pre-setup from the TT factory. That means that once you plug in the receiver you only need to set up a standard helicopter program in your radio (H1 - single servo swash) and you should almost be ready to go.

I did get a little assistance from my friend Adam who has been flying helicopters for quite some time. If you have that option, it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion on a set up prior to the maiden flight. Adam suggested that we check the blade pitch and he should check to see how I set up my throttle curves.

With the motion of the swash plate moving in the right directions, the throttle curves set and the blade pitch checked, it was time to charge the battery and get this rig in the Air! Fortunately, Thunder Tiger includes a 3 or 4 cell charger in the box! So it's just a matter of plugging in the battery and waiting!

Flying

I have to admit, even with all of the simulator practice I put in prior to the maiden flight of the E325, I was still a bit nervous. My friend Adam reassured me everything would be fine. So I fired up the Futaba T14GS, fired up the machine, and let the gyro initialize. I promptly clicked on the throttle hold and set the rig down on a nice level grass area. I took a deep breath, released the throttle hold, and started to advance the throttle. At about 50% throttle the E325 broke the ground and I could tell this rig has plenty of power. Even in normal mode, the machine is very light. Considering this is the largest heli I have flown to date, I never left normal mode for the maiden flight. I had set up some expo on the aileron and elevator channels and that helped tame the beast quite a bit. Besides a few bobbles, the E325 felt just like the simulator heli I had been using. After a few minutes of circles and figure eights, I landed and let my nerves relax. And then it hit me. I had just successfully flown this heli!

Check out the flight!

RCGroups.com Thunder Tiger Raptor e325 Sport ARF Flybarless Review (2 min 44 sec)

Flight Gallery:

Is this for a beginner?

I would say No. But there is a "Yes clause". No: If you have never flown an RC heli in any way before. I'd would not recommend this model as your first. I once again suggest getting a simulator (Like Realflight) or at very least buying a very inexpensive coaxial or fixed pitch helicopter first. Get used to how a helicopter reacts to inputs and orientation. Once that is mastered then I think a pilot could progress into this machine. Now the clause: I'd say Yes this rig could be for a beginner if the pilot has access to an accomplished RC Helicopter pilot. A pilot that can program the radio and make sure the machine is properly set up. Then after the rig is flying properly and tuned I would say with coaching from the accomplished pilot, this rig could be your first.

Conclusion

The Mini Titan E325 Sport Flybarless Brushless ARFs is a pleasure to assemble and fly. I honestly can't think of a more pleasurable helicopter experience for an intermediate heli pilot. The machine has the look of a pro rig, the ease of a flybarless head, and a gyro that really locks the unit in. As I said earlier, access to an experienced RC helicopter pilot will help anyone have a successful maiden flight, but I do believe that by reading the included manual cover to cover and applying the instructions to the machine, anyone can achieve success with this helicopter. I am sure this rig is capable of much, much more aggressive flying, but until I can fly like that I really can't comment on that aspect of this rig. I do know that I will spend some time flying this machine this summer and hopefully will graduate to a larger heli.

Pluses

• Very complete package - Everything you need except the radio!
  • Great looks
  • Very detailed manual
  • Quality components
  • Amazing Gyro
  • Carbon Blades

Minuses

• Should come with two batteries!

Thanks

My thanks to Thunder Tiger and Futaba for supplying the helicopter and radio for this review. Also thanks to my friend Adam for checking out the set up and making this flight a success.

Last edited by Sleepyc; Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:29 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Very cool, nicely done! Now bring it to Nall so that you can say you flew the heli flight line!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:03 PM
Multirotor News Contributor
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
966 Posts
Like I have time to fly at Nall.. HAHAHAHAHHA
Sleepyc is online now Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:33 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Okay, so bring it so Chris and I can fly it at Nall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
Like I have time to fly at Nall.. HAHAHAHAHHA
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,633 Posts
I reviewed the E325 V1 for Rotorworld back in 2007...Its been flying every week ever since, all that has worn were bearings in the motor from hours of running and one belt, which I replaced last week as it was frayed...Out of all the helis I've had, the E325 is my favorite, the easiest build, and also the most reliable..I removed the flybar and rebuilt the head to FBL.
Thunder Tiger know how to design great helis, unlike some others I can think of.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Forgive me, but a semi-beginner can't make those turns with a 450
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:59 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,571 Posts
Nice review! Managed to get a few hops in with mine today. Was a tad chilly though…
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:59 AM
Never say DIE...
Urbana IL
Joined Feb 2006
235 Posts
Nice Job Sleepy.. Home run to both review and machine!

Grimracer
Grimracer is offline Find More Posts by Grimracer
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
Forgive me, but a semi-beginner can't make those turns with a 450
Semi-beginner probably refers to flying of single rotor 450. Flying quad's and hex's for years does not count.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Sep 2002
1,531 Posts
Tail rotor belted or otherwise? Price?????
stuka is offline Find More Posts by stuka
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Nice video and heli but possibly the worse music for a rc v video ever.......
That sucked....
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,784 Posts
Anyone know if the new Mini Titan E360 stretch kit will work on this heli?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Dec 25, 2013, 04:13 PM
The Bahamas, Freeport
Joined Jul 2009
109 Posts
I need a bit help here guys. I throttle up but the main & tail blade won't spin :-(
Servos are working fine.
airborne2.4 is online now Find More Posts by airborne2.4
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne2.4 View Post
I need a bit help here guys. I throttle up but the main & tail blade won't spin :-(
Servos are working fine.
Which transmitter/receiver are you using? Have you tried reversing the throttle channel on your transmitter?
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2013, 04:50 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Anyone know if the new Mini Titan E360 stretch kit will work on this heli?
It should. I just did it on a MT e325 v2, but you will need to deal with the belt, either convert to torque tube, or get a belt from something like a Tarot 480.

I think one of the Thunder tiger kits does include some of the parts for torque tube conversion.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience